New D3 Idea

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Getting realistic about what blizzard will probably do, D3 will probably have something to do with the prime evils being resurected because the shards of the soulstones still exist on the mortal plane. Heres my idea:

BAAL comes back, because you never destroy his stone :D

If you read the D1 manual, note that baal was only imprisoned by a shard of his soulstone, which is why they also needed tal rasha to help contain him. The other shards could still exist. Baal goes in search of the shards, to return to full power, and resurect his bretheren from their soulstone "dust". The soulstones are spread out and hidden in secret places, so you travel to each city to try and get the shard before baal does.

Pyromancer

Member!
Reaction score
Website
necro.conforums.com
It is logical, but would baal also summon the lieutenants from hell to hinder you. Its a good idea, but I think it would be better, if Baal new that you were after it, and set traps for you, but you had to go on regardless.

DrKronic

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.afterlife.ws
why not starting in the place u vanquished him at?
EDIT: i also think that baal resurrection should be tied into a lasting fragment of the worldstone making him more powerful then ever before o_O

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
The story from Diablo I to II gets a little choppy in places.

The soul stones were used for imprisoning the prime evils, because it was the only way for mortals to contain them. They couldn't send them back to hell, killing them only made them bodiless for a time.

In the story of Diablo I, the lesser evils of hell overthrew the prime evils, and banished them from hell to the mortal realm, "where Azmodan hoped that they would remain trapped forever". So the primes can't return to hell, and heroes can't send them there.

In D I the hero / wanderer had to impale himself with the sould stone containing Diablo's spirit in order to use his will to contain Diablo. Obviously, this didn't work for very long.

In Diablo II, we see Andariel and Duriel... lesser evils of hell, and supposedly part of the victorious revolt against Mephisto, Diablo and Baal. So what are they doing in the mortal realm?

When you kill Mephisto, you get his soulstone, and later smash it to get some gems and runes... this seems silly. Earlier story indications are that destroying a soul stone frees the captured spirit within.

When you kill diablo, you see the soul stone on his head flash with light, but you never see the hero take it and smash it or hide it or anything... it's just left there.

Baal's spirit escapes when you kill him, and isn't trapped in a soul stone.

There are no story indicators that the three prime evils _need_ the soul stones, except possibly as powerful artifacts. The D I story clearly tells of the three brothers wreaking havoc in the mortal realm before the Horadrim came after them with the soulstones to imprison them.

So, Meph was freed when you smashed his stone.

Diablo was left in his soulstone in the chaos sanctuary of hell, and presumably it won't take long for some wandering demons to find it and free him.

Baal's spirit was freed when you killed him in act 5...

All three brothers can come back in relatively quick fashion. They just need to find some weak minds to invade. Then its a matter of building up power again.

Oh, and for sending them back to hell? Well, with Tyrael's smashing of the worldstone, and the seperation of worlds, that doesn't seem to be a possibility anymore.

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Diablo's soulstone was smashed in the act4 ending cinematic.

Izual taught the Prime Evils how to corrupt the soulstones, turing them into methods of focusing their power, and binding them indefinately to the mortal plane.

The soulstones were pieces of the worldstone crafted by Tyreal to trap the prime evils. In effect, they worked as a spiritual "vaccum", which drew the prime evils into the stones when they came within close proximity of them. Diablo was trapped and the stone was hidden in the catacombs under the D1 city (was it Tristram?). The king's priest/advisor was drawn by diablo's will and released him. Mephisto was trapped and was locked in a tower under vigilance by the Zakarum, until he drew their chief to him and was freed. But Baal proved hard to capture. When Tyreal and the Horodrim cornered him, he smashed the soulstone (into "x" number of pieces). When he was cornered by Tal Rasha and Tyreal, it was discovered that the shard was not able to contain Baal for more than a short period of time. So Tal Rasha, like the wanderer, impaled himself with the stone and was bound to a sacred rock in the middle of the desert, bound by unbreakble horodric spells, sealed with a staff of power. There, Baal constantly attacked his will until "Tal Rasha" no longer existed except as a manifestation of Baal.

Presumably, the other shards of Baal's stone were taken and hidden away. Maybe Tyreal could've taken one, and the final act could take place in heaven :D

Destroying a soulstone containing a prime evil prevents their release from the stone, trapping them there for eternity, not able to be freed. But since large pieces of Baal's stone still exist, they bind his spirt to the world until all are found and shattered.

Andariel and Duriel were exiled from hell because the spirit of the Prime Evils took over once again. note that you find Diablo in HELL. So yes, they can go back to hell. Obviously, Baal was somewhere in hell as well, as it is implied that he also went through the gate.

So no, except for baal, the prime evils wont be coming back anytime soon. I'm implying that when he retrieves the pieces of his stone, he could use the power to reconstruct the other stones, and then free them. A mortal doesnt need to free them from the stone, anyone can. Its just that mortals are easily corrupted, and it seems that the prime evils can draw them towards the stones, against their will, even when they are imprisoned.

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by EEX_ca_aok
Diablo's soulstone was smashed in the act4 ending cinematic.
Quite true, I stand corrected. Hadn't watched the cinematics since the first time I played through the game. Had forgotten.

Izual taught the Prime Evils how to corrupt the soulstones, turing them into methods of focusing their power, and binding them indefinately to the mortal plane.
True, this may have made them more powerful, but they were already in the mortal plane before the soulstones were around (having been kicked out of Hell by Azmodan and Belial) so it's plain that they don't need the stones to remain in the physical world.

The soulstones were pieces of the worldstone crafted by Tyreal to trap the prime evils. In effect, they worked as a spiritual "vaccum", which drew the prime evils into the stones when they came within close proximity of them. Diablo was trapped and the stone was hidden in the catacombs under the D1 city (was it Tristram?). The king's priest/advisor was drawn by diablo's will and released him.
From, "The Binding of the Three"

"These monks carried the cursed stone to the land of Khanduras and buried it within a secluded cave near the river Talsande. Above this cave the Horadrim constructed a great Monastery from which they could continue to safeguard the Soulstone. As ages passed, the Horadrim constructed a network of catacombs beneath the Monastery to house the earthly remains of the martyrs of their Order."

"Generations passed in Khanduras, and the numbers of the Horadrim slowly dwindled. With no quests left to undertake, and too few sons to sustain their guardianship, the once powerful Order faded into obscurity. Eventually, the great Monastery that they had built fell to ruins as well. Although villages grew and thrived around the shell of the old Monastery, no one knew of the dark, secret passageways that stretched into the cold earth beneath it. None could have dreamed of the burning red gem that pulsed within the labyrinth's heart..."

The closest village to the Monastery was Tristram.

and

"Not long after Leoric took possession of Khanduras, a power long asleep awakened within the dark recesses beneath the Monastery. Sensing that freedom was within his grasp, Diablo entered the nightmares of the Arch-Bishop and lured him into the dark, subterranean labyrinth. In his terror, Lazarus raced throughout the abandoned hallways until he at last came to the chamber of the burning Soulstone. No longer in command of his body or spirit, he raised the stone above his head and uttered words long forgotten in the realm of mortals. His will destroyed, Lazarus shattered the Soulstone upon the ground. Diablo once again came into the world of Man. Although he was released from his imprisonment within the Soulstone, the Lord of Terror was still greatly weakened from his long sleep and required an anchor to the world. Once he had found a mortal form to wear, he could begin to reclaim his vastly depleted power. The great demon weighed the souls residing in the town above, and chose to take the strongest of them - that of King Leoric."

So as we see here, smashing the soulstone didn't destroy or banish Diablo, it set him free. This stuff is straight from the Diablo I story folks...

Presumably, the other shards of Baal's stone were taken and hidden away. Maybe Tyreal could've taken one, and the final act could take place in heaven :D
Could be... or they may have been too small of fragments to be useful.

Destroying a soulstone containing a prime evil prevents their release from the stone, trapping them there for eternity, not able to be freed. But since large pieces of Baal's stone still exist, they bind his spirt to the world until all are found and shattered.
I'm not sure where you get that idea from...

Andariel and Duriel were exiled from hell because the spirit of the Prime Evils took over once again. note that you find Diablo in HELL. So yes, they can go back to hell. Obviously, Baal was somewhere in hell as well, as it is implied that he also went through the gate.
I'm not sure of your source on Andariel and Duriel. I always assumed that they were tossed from Hell during the original struggle between the three prime evils and the four lesser evils. The Diablo I story only mentions Azmodan and Belial bickering over the spoils of Hell.

The cinematics show the three brothers, gathered together at the hellgate, able to force open the portal so they may attempt to once again take over Hell (with the help and power augmentation of the soulstones). Diablo goes through, Mephisto stays behind to guard the gate (where the player encounters him) and who knows where baal goes. Maybe he goes with Diablo for a time, to help a bro out, or maybe he heads straight to Harrogath and the Arreat summit.

I am assuming that the Hell we saw in Act IV was only the first few planes or realms of Hell. Afterall, it's neighbor to the Pandemonium fortress, which is the midpoint between Heaven and Hell. If that's all there is to Hell, then Hell is a pretty small, not-too-dangerous place. I would surmise that the temple you find Diablo in is just the place where he is creating a base of operations in Hell to launch their invasion of the deeper planes.

So no, except for baal, the prime evils wont be coming back anytime soon. I'm implying that when he retrieves the pieces of his stone, he could use the power to reconstruct the other stones, and then free them.
If they are destroyed, then they are destroyed. But then again, as we already saw from the Diablo I story, smashing the soulstone didn't banish or destroy Diablo, it just set his spirit free, from where he attempted to possess first King Leoric, then later Leoric's son. (Read the rest of the D I story for details)

A mortal doesnt need to free them from the stone, anyone can. Its just that mortals are easily corrupted, and it seems that the prime evils can draw them towards the stones, against their will, even when they are imprisoned.
Well, Baal used magic and illusion to draw the human to him when he was imprisoned. He was only able to do that once the human was inside the same room.

Anyways, there is an obvious discrepancy between what happens when you smash a soulstone from DI to DII. And if smashing a soulstone does banish a prime evil from the mortal plane forever, why didn't they just smash Diablo and Mephisto's soulstones at the time of capture? Why build monasterys over them and stuff?

The only reason I can think of is maybe it has to be done at the Hellforge in Hell to work. Not very logical though. Smash their soulstone in Hell (where they are from) to banish them from the mortal plane (where they are not).

Regardless, Baal was not somewhere in hell when you kill him, he was in the Worldstone Chamber - the heart of the Worldstone. And the graphic of his spirit escaping was pretty obvious.

slasher

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i'm not sure but i think somewhere in the game itself (d2 that is ) or in the book there is mention that Andariel was one of those responible for the 3 being case out and seeing her back on there side could not be good for humans....i think either cain or akara......................oh yes i remember now it's the 6th quest(last quest in act 1) that cain tells you this (it's recorded in horadric text or something)

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Good memory. All he says though is, "Long ago, Diablo and his brothers were cast out of Hell by the Lesser Evils. It seems that Hell's balance has shifted, as Andariel is now aligned with the Lord of Terror. Her presence here in the mortal realm does not bode well for us."

Not real informative.

slasher

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yeah true but if she's aligned with diablo now that means that they worked out there differences i guess...

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
True, this may have made them more powerful, but they were already in the mortal plane before the soulstones were around (having been kicked out of Hell by Azmodan and Belial) so it's plain that they don't need the stones to remain in the physical world.
Its not what keeps them there, its what prevents them from being completely destroyed permanently. They are "bound" to the mortal plane forever.

Anyways, there is an obvious discrepancy between what happens when you smash a soulstone from DI to DII. And if smashing a soulstone does banish a prime evil from the mortal plane forever, why didn't they just smash Diablo and Mephisto's soulstones at the time of capture? Why build monasterys over them and stuff?

The only reason I can think of is maybe it has to be done at the Hellforge in Hell to work. Not very logical though. Smash their soulstone in Hell (where they are from) to banish them from the mortal plane (where they are not).
Im pretty sure thats why they bothered smashing them at all. Tyreal would've know better if it would set them free.
And about the last part, I believe that "hell" as you see it in the game is still part of the mortal plane, otherwise our hero wouldn't be able to enter. maybe to those not on the mortal plane, everything looks completely different in hell (sort of a matrix thing there :p)

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Its not what keeps them there, its what prevents them from being completely destroyed permanently. They are "bound" to the mortal plane forever.
I'm not sure where you get this. They were kicked out of Hell, that's not really the same as being 'bound to the mortal plane forever'. They just had to find a way back into Hell.

Im pretty sure thats why they bothered smashing them at all. Tyreal would've know better if it would set them free.
And about the last part, I believe that "hell" as you see it in the game is still part of the mortal plane, otherwise our hero wouldn't be able to enter. maybe to those not on the mortal plane, everything looks completely different in hell (sort of a matrix thing there :p)
I think it is actually the upper levels of Hell, otherwise you wouldn't have to enter the special portal to hell in Mephisto's chamber in act III. Watch the cinematics again, the portal looks pretty gateway-to-hell ish to me.

Why would Tyrael have brought the stones to them if they prevented them from being completely destroyed permanently? They had to defeat them to entrap them into the stones in the first place, and if it had been possible to destroy them permanently instead, they would have done that.

I don't think they can be destroyed permanently. When Leoric's Arch-Bishop Lazarus smashed the stone, it didn't kill Diablo, it set him free. When the hero of Diablo I killed him, he didn't stay dead. Even smashing the soulstones in hell won't kill them. The in-game dialogue (Tyrael or Cain, can't remember) just says that smashing the stone is the only way to banish them from the mortal plane forever (which in and of itself doesn't make sense...)

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
I'm not sure where you get this. They were kicked out of Hell, that's not really the same as being 'bound to the mortal plane forever'. They just had to find a way back into Hell.
Either cain or izual or tyreal says some junk about the stones binding them to the mortal plane, hence why cain would say destroying them would banish them.

Note... If diablo's soulstone was smashed in D1, how could he still have it when you kill him in D2. I was under the impression that he was merely released, maybe by someone touching the stone, something like that.

I think it is actually the upper levels of Hell, otherwise you wouldn't have to enter the special portal to hell in Mephisto's chamber in act III. Watch the cinematics again, the portal looks pretty gateway-to-hell ish to me.
Yes, but it's still part of the mortal plane. By mortal plane, they mean "plane of existance", not world. It could be hell yes, but it's still on the mortal plain.

Why would Tyrael have brought the stones to them if they prevented them from being completely destroyed permanently? They had to defeat them to entrap them into the stones in the first place, and if it had been possible to destroy them permanently instead, they would have done that.
That wasnt what happened originally, but Izual tought them how to corrupt them to do so.

Also note that Diablo having his sanctuary in the upper levels doesnt make much sense.

war3man

Premium Member
Reaction score
I think a good idea would be that in act5 theres a war. all archers from act1 spearmen from act2 and act3 with those magical swords men and the barbs should fight all monsters in act3 act4 act5. Tyreal and his angels help fight using holy light and auras.. Then after u beat the war u head on and go for baal and baal is revived since soulstone didnt die.. he made a new creature called Diameph or sumthin.. and it has all the skills from meph and diablo..

LordOfMars

Member!
Reaction score
Note... If diablo's soulstone was smashed in D1, how could he still have it when you kill him in D2. I was under the impression that he was merely released, maybe by someone touching the stone, something like that.
The text from the original Diablo's manual / storyline says that Lazarus smashed the stone. Obviously there are some story continuity problems between D1 and D2.

Yes, but it's still part of the mortal plane. By mortal plane, they mean "plane of existance", not world. It could be hell yes, but it's still on the mortal plain.
You're assuming its part of the mortal plane, I am assuming its not. Its really just a quibble though, because it doesn't really matter. We both agree that the limited areas of Hell shown in D2 can't constitute the entirety of Hell itself.

Also note that Diablo having his sanctuary in the upper levels doesnt make much sense. [/B]
And it makes more sense for him to have it on the mortal plane? We don't really know what the Chaos sanctuary is. Is it new? Old? Is it Diablo's home, or just a convenient place to marshall demonic forces at the upper levels of Hell?

Kuzmich

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Getting realistic about what blizzard will probably do, D3 will probably have something to do with the prime evils being resurected because the shards of the soulstones still exist on the mortal plane. Heres my idea:

BAAL comes back, because you never destroy his stone :D

If you read the D1 manual, note that baal was only imprisoned by a shard of his soulstone, which is why they also needed tal rasha to help contain him. The other shards could still exist. Baal goes in search of the shards, to return to full power, and resurect his bretheren from their soulstone "dust". The soulstones are spread out and hidden in secret places, so you travel to each city to try and get the shard before baal does.
oh yeah thanks for stealing my idea and claiming it as your own

Deathmetal0987

Member!
Reaction score
AN add to your idea

werent there more thatn 2 lesser evils, so therefore they would have more power without baal and the other prime evils for a while. the lesser evils should have a powerstruggle with baal, so it is a free for all between the demons, giving the true heros chances to intervein the plot of baal regaining power or the lesser evil gaining power. I sont recall specific lesser evils, so Blizzard should make some interesting characters. read my idea i posted somewhere and see how it fits with your origional idea and tell me what you think?

email Deathmetal0987@aol.com