NE~1.06- Are the Night Elves done for?

Swooper

Respected Member
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
1.06- Are the Night Elves done for?

I've been playing almost all NE for my past 130 or so games, but with 1.06 I'm consitering switching. Our only form of our already weak early game defence is gone, our wonderfull fast expand is gone, and many of our best units, like the dryad, are practically useless. So what are we supposed to do? In general, the ONLY working strategy that I see against any race is mass archers, later backed with dott. Other things work somewhat, but this is the only one that actually looks effective against most enemy builds to me. And actually, I believe that its quite a powerfull combo. But I think if I keep playing NE, Im going to get borred. I liked the option of a fast tech to tri-lore dryads, starting with a few hunts then getting dryads, an assasin build with hunts and dryads, or even getting mass dotts, with maybe some chrimeras here and there. But now, I only have my one strat =/. Do we really have any other options unless our opponent does something very unorthadox? Are the powerfull night elves going to become the least-used race? Please, someone tell me Im wrong and that other major options will open up, I really don't want to see the night elves crash to nothing =/

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I think they got a little off the weaker end. Hunts are gonna die quicker now with Fiends coming up, Dryads will become worse as SCs start moving away, negating some things to do with the Archers.

For me, I'd keep with my Hunts/Dryads/Archers strat, for the main reason it's balanced and is decent. NE doesn't have a 'killer' unit anyway.

But seeing as how Dryads' HP has been increased, and Ranged will be less, I'm starting to see more Chims on the battlefield. Maybe it's time to kick some Orc butt. :D

RageWinterchill

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Oh don't worry. Those poor Orcs are getting walked all over by all the other races, so you won't hit the very bottom. I'm sure that within a few more weeks at tops the Orcs will have found a new, reliable way of coming back at their opponents. Whenever a major rebalancing happens, many players start collapsing because their old strategies don't work. But then, they come back all over again, with other strategies.

I mean, think about it. When mass Huntresses started dying, there were a few players actually going "OMFG NE SUX NOW!!" But did they? No. They found out about Dryads and started using them. When people finally realized that dual aura Ghouls could be countered, a lotta Undead players were going "OMFG WE CANT WIN!" But they could. They just needed to do something else besides mindlessly mass Ghouls and get just the DK and the DL. The cheesy mass casters strats that just about every Human and Orc player and their grandmothers used is dead. It seems the players of both races are reeling. And a few NE players are reeling from the Dryads and other fixes. Undead has been relatively untouched, if not boosted. So far, the Undead players seem to be doing better as a whole, since they didn't have much to change in terms of strategy. Don't worry. I'm sure the Undead will be back to licking the dirt off of your shoes... Hopefully not for a long time though. :lucifer

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Hehehe, but you'll still need to watch out for Bloodlusted Grunts anyway. Cost has been reduced, so even if they have counters they'll still have the good old greenskinned Grunt.

NE isn't done for. I'll try it out on LAN this Friday and see..... maybe it could decide for me whether to use NE or Undead. Choices choices.....

TheLimpOne

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The Dryad strategy isn't dead really, mass Dryads still kick ass, considering I just won my last two games just going them... like I always do. :p

DemonMaRine

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
he went dryads also... but i had alot more and i was upgraded... i can bust out mass lores with dryads poppin in like 10 mins (or really quick) i havent timed myself but i'm guessing

RageWinterchill

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The craziest Orc fight I ever saw was a 3v3 with everyone being Orc. This was in 1.02, but everyone had like mass Shamans with a FS and a BM. So you see 6 BMs duking it out in the center, Shamans hurling lightning balls everywhere, CLs galore, and like 60 BLs going off at the same time. My sound was up really high so I got scared when I first heard that. :eek:

IceDevil9

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rcthaven.com
well, I wouldn't say 'done for' but it seems the odds against us have been increased significantly.

With the Dryads & Hunts useless, the only thing I can think of is a mass Arch. supported by DotT or possibly even DoTC, but thats a stretch. ::sigh:: if someone could come up with a good 1.06 strat., it would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank :cool:

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by IceDevil9
well, I wouldn't say 'done for' but it seems the odds against us have been increased significantly.

With the Dryads & Hunts useless, the only thing I can think of is a mass Arch. supported by DotT or possibly even DoTC, but thats a stretch. ::sigh:: if someone could come up with a good 1.06 strat., it would be greatly appreciated.

-Frank :cool:
DOTT and archers have just been owned by DOTC, DOTT and dryads.

Frankly, i can't think of a realy strat for NE.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Despite all that, I'd stick with Hunts and Dryads. I'm sick of trying to fit in to counter opponents I find it much easier to stick to something that I find easy myself.

But NE is a very flexible race. Whatever you throw at them, if they're good at teching, NE can counter almost anything. That's the thing about NE. There isn't one 'killer unit', but there's not a sucky one either.

Jeanz

Member!
Reaction score
Being a experienced Night Elf player, I usually go 4-6 hunts and the rest archers. The first hero is usually Demon Hunter and the Second is usually Keeper. I have found in 1.06 that not getting huntresses causes your opponent to focus fire on your Demon Hunter and if not strong enough will simply kill it. I have also found that a good thing to do is to put a cloak of shadows on your Demon Hunter so if in complete desperation you can make him hide. You usually always get one cloak while creeping anyway. Of course this would be assuming they do not have any True Sight in the battles. Take in consideration that more and more people are getting ranged units and that the Demon Hunter is becoming less and less of a power house. I always get 2 Druids of the Claw late game for rejuv. and roar just to be on the safe side. With the Keeper I usually get his skills in this order. Entrangling roots, Treants, Treants, entrangling roots, Treants, Tranquility, Entangling roots. Most of the time thorns doesn't help and I have found that by going archers , the treants help restore that front line army you do not have. Plus they can be used to do a attack from behind such as at archers, crypt fiends, casters ect. This will in effect draw away some attention from the front line. I hope this helps some of you.

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
It would make more sense for NE to go really offensive though. I prefer PotM with Trueshot as second hero, and with Starfall and DH at the front, Archers will start really whacking up the front lines. You don't need Treants to help, they suck.

Jeanz

Member!
Reaction score
Treants are meant as a distraction. Nothing more. If not looked at or dispellled they can kill a few units.