Music writing software

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
How many of you, if any, have music editing software you know how to use?

I ask because if enough people have software I hope to have a monthly or whatever amount of time works contest in which a genre of music is chosen and members submit their final product.

Please post if you have a program!

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
I have audacity fro random cuts/ amplifications :(

Reaction score
Finale 2008
Sibileus whateverthe****thenewestversionis
FLSTudio 7 XXL Producer
Audicty
Acid 7
Garage Band whateverthe****thenewestversionis

I could go on, but suffice it to say, I have plenty of music making software

What kinda music we gonna do. Instrumentals, DnB/Trance/Techno, Classical, Orchestral, Rock Opera? Cause I'm down for any of it.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Well the first one I think would be a vote than whoever we decide made the best song chooses the next genre.

Reaction score
Then lets get the voting started.

Clearcast

Member!
Reaction score
i have
Cubase SX 3.1
Reason 3
Reason 4
FL studio XXL producer 6
Audacity
Logic express v7 i think
Cycling 74 max / msp / jitter (good program)
and a few filter, synth, fx and sampler plugins.

i only use
reason
cubase
max/msp/jitter
and audacity though, plus i use my computer keyboard as a synth via bome mouse keyboard routed through midiyoke virtual MIDI interface since i cant afford the hardware synth i want yet and im too much of a cheap bastard to get a temporary replacement.

lookin forward to this, i think even people who have never tried should go and downoad a few trial versions of these softwares and take part, theres always me or mike that can answer any tech auestions if anyones unsure.

lets get a vote up..

Reaction score
Yeah, I really suggest (for starting out) FLStudio if it's going to be anything non-orchestral. once you get a true understanding on how it works (took me about a year to get to where I know the in-s and out-s of it) it's one of the most powerful tools out there.

Oh, and Bome MIDI Keyboard is a must. It basically turns your computers keyboard into a fully functioning midi controller.

I'll drop out from the 'contest' or be a judge to make things a bit more fair if you guys want, since I've been doing this for years.

Clearcast

Member!
Reaction score
Reason is prob easiest to start off with since it uses the same style of sequencer that half the music production programs use and it has a load of synths, samplers and a drum machine built in as standard. just gonna say, if you want to go down the bome keyboard way, youl need a program called midiyoke too. google it or if you cant find it il put it up.

enter anyway man..

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
Audacity is a good one, because its basically Cool Edit Pro but freeware.

Fruityloops is another one if you want to make your own dance music.

Cool Edit Pro needs to be torrented, but its pretty damn amazing and easy to use.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Honestly all I have is garage band, but a decent knowledge of music theory. So anythoughts on what a good starting genre would be?

Reaction score
Audacity is a good one, because its basically Cool Edit Pro but freeware.

Fruityloops is another one if you want to make your own dance music.

Cool Edit Pro needs to be torrented, but its pretty damn amazing and easy to use.
I've used FL studio to compile rock music, and orchestral works. It's not as easy or fluid sounding as others, but it definatly works.

And I'm talking with just a midi keyboard. Don't let it fool you, it's capeable of making any kind of music.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Heh, so it can do more. Most of my friends used it to compile dance music with it, so I figured it was used for that reason alone. Then again, it can simulate instrumental pieces.

Basshunter, famous for using Internet themed songs used FL studio.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
So obviously some of you have software how many are interested in actually going through with making songs every month or so?

Clearcast

Member!
Reaction score
i dont know about every month, but if a few others are up for it then ill take part. just a suggestion, but id say for the first few rounds make it freestyle,as in any kind of music style, genre, time signature you want. its a bit specific if there only turns out to be a few entries. worry about rules later.

and you dont need music theory to make music. with technology, the internet and communities these days, you dont need anything to start with, maybe a bit of creativity. music theory follows rules. which can be good but can also be ****..

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Depending on the skill of the person with these programs, I dont think coughing up a song a month or so will be so easy. Maybe in the summer, yes.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Alright, I'll create a new thread for entries and such first contest, what do you think submit entries by the end of June? Earlier? Later?

Clearcast

Member!
Reaction score
go for it. cant promise anything from me right now, but il join in some point.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
I would say end of July. That will give members time to compose and enter the contest.

The biggest factor with any contest Ryan is you need to consider the skill each person may have with thier specific music editors, and thier ability to create the music.

Clearcast

Member!
Reaction score
sometimes its the simple tunes that turn out best. like i say, any questions, il try to help out.

Reference

Member!
Reaction score
sometimes its the simple tunes that turn out best. like i say, any questions, il try to help out.
I think he's talking more along the lines of actually knowing music theory past notes and chords. Like, what sounds good with what and why. I'm sure theres three or four of us on here that know that, and since I've been through 2+ years of it ofc I understand it.

That and there's been people doing this for years against those that might of just started. Not saying that my ****'s automatically going to be better than yours, but the realistic potential for some of my stuff compared to say torrid's is much greater simply because I've been using these programs and been doing stuff like this seriously for at least two years now.

Na mean?