MOney Maps Take Skill too.

Zmoney

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
If they didn't take any skill then why can I win just about every time I play one and DOminate the opponets 8/10 times.

Money mappers have got a different type of game and deserve the same respect as the more strat players.

Mass unit games arnt a discrace to SC in any shape or form.

Dont be fag Money it up today, its fun too.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
You know whats really cool?! When a Strategy Person plays a money map and assumes the same mechanics. He does a strategy with more resources and makes it better, then beats the living crap out of the common ''mass carrier/insert random massable unit here'' guy! Isn't that neat! ^.^

While I know where you are coming from, I think it takes more skill to play a ladder map then a money map. Since there are major differences in both (Switching frok one another, I mean!) it would be somewhat hard for a moneymap person to go and mass on a ladder map, I think. They would be used to all their goods in one spot, and not used to expanding and protecting their expansions. Thats my opinion anyways. I respect money mapers, but I moreso respect people who can rock n roll on a ladder map. :D

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It certainly does take skill. Money maps are still basically Starcraft. It's just the resource restriction of normal games adds another dimension.

Zmoney

Reaction score
Non money guys always come into money maps and get romped. Then tell me come play them on non-money. Their are entire differen't strats to the two game modes and non-money players have no right to say someone has no skill unless they can duke it with the money guys.

I hate people who say money maps take no skill.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just for some perspective, do you think they take more skill? Personally, I've never been sure but I'd like to hear your opinion.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Indeed so! You still need to do the same basic concepts of the game, the only thing you won't need to do is expand for resources or be suprised by the map you're playing, since most money maps are the same on each side, you will know where people start off and that sort of thing. All you need to do is scout, and anyone can do that. :)

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I wouldn't say less skill, just totally different. Though there is NO doubt in my mind a top 'regular map' player could learn and master 'money maps' faster than vice versa. A hell of a lot faster. Money maps is much easier to master, but still requires a skill of a sort just the same.

I only play money for the humor. I do get a kick out of MCing a dropship of SCV and massing 400 supply in 20 mins. >:O That's good times. ;0

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I agree with you, Zsquared. Even though I think money maps require less micro skills, they do require a bit more of macro (since the armies and the bases are generally a lot bigger).

Lights

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Meh @ that. Yes, bigger base, but you only have one.. and everything is laid out nice and easy. In regular maps, your bases are generally spread out and not so neatly in rows, and it takes more skill to properly take care of it all. :/

Having 20 factories in a row and simply scrolling through them pressing tttttt and gggggg isn't very hard. :O

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
That's not what I meant, sorry. Yes, it is true that maintaning two or more bases is quite difficult. But building one entire base planned well, so that it would be harder to attack, that's also hard.

Bah, nevermind, no it isn't. Yeah, non-money takes more skills. But people who like to play money are free to do what they want.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
If you don't know what you're doing on a money map and you are playing against players who know what they're doing on money maps, it's easy to understand that they require a different mindset. It's hard to compare the two in terms of difficulty, but they definitely require different skills.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
It depends on what you mean. The three different levels of map resources take three different types of skill.

Regular map: You need balanced skill. Macro and micro come into play about equally, and you need to be skilled at managing your time and your economy.

Money map: You need macro skill. Economy isn't an issue, but time is. The person who manages their time the best gets their army the fastest, and can thus have a significant advantage over the other players. Micro skill can be helpful in having a higher kill:death unit ratio, which means your opponent has less men, which sets them back that much time.

Anti-Money map: You need micro skill. Time isn't nearly an issue compared to a well managed economy. The first person to get resources is the first one who can use them to build units, and again gives them an advantage over other players. Macro doesn't play a large role in these maps, although the first player to expand gets a foothold over their opponents.

Also, there's the issue of racial skill. Terran tends to be of average power on all three map types, while Zerg dominates with less money and is weaker with more money. Protoss tends to be the exact opposite of Zerg, being most powerful on money maps and being at a severe disadvantage on maps with scarce resources. How much those trends affect you has to do with your skill with your race, and your skill with that map type.

Yet another thing that has to be taken into account is map size. On a 64x64 map with low resources, Zerg can easily dominate early game in ZvP, while a 256x256 money map could seal the game for a Protoss player in PvZ.

When talking about skill, there are a lot of types of skills and different elements to each of them which you have to take into account. Saying "money maps take less skill" is true and yet false at the same time. It takes less of certain types of skills, and certain racial skills, but that's made up for with a necessary increase in other skills. A well balanced player should find just as much challenge in a money map as one which lacks resources.. just a different kind of challenge that depends on different skills.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
money maps... where to begin

money maps take skill,yes the skill to click workers and mine... then mass an army,attack and win,if u dont win repeat the process over.

non money,workers mine,mass army,attack,win,if not repeat the procces..BUT it requires more micro.

and money maps do what is stated above in 1/4 the time it takes non money maps.

money maps in my opinion are just.. too easy.. i win 8/10 money maps i play,and i dont play them ofter, on non money i win like 3/10..

ppl who play money maps are fine by me,its their choice.but non money does require more skill

not to say,money maps ARE still fun somtimes.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
Anyone who says that money maps require less skill in every aspect have apparently never played ZvP on a money map against an even semi-skilled player. If you want to try it out, here's my favorite money map. Save a replay.

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
More skill or less skill? That is the question!

Does it REALLY matter!? As long as you are having fun, who gizashit!

Seriously, does it matter if it takes more skill or less skill? I say a reg map player got bored and used StarForge to have more fun! I don't know about you, but after years of playin reg maps, I found money maps to be a welcome break from the norm.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Lights said:
Meh @ that. Yes, bigger base, but you only have one.. and everything is laid out nice and easy. In regular maps, your bases are generally spread out and not so neatly in rows, and it takes more skill to properly take care of it all. :/

Having 20 factories in a row and simply scrolling through them pressing tttttt and gggggg isn't very hard. :O
See, what I like to do (Now, anyways, since about August of last year!) is use moneymaps for ''fun'' games! When I play a moneymap, the feeling I get when I play it is one of the following: practice, fun, mess around, and that sort of thing. Before, I used to try on moneymaps and be semi-good at them, now it seems it has reversed totally, because back then I didn;t play melee on ladder maps! *.* But since I came here, I have been playing ladder maps more then moneymaps by far! They are jut a lot more exciting to play for me. It's probably the expanding and guarding your bases, since you never need to expend to keeop your economy high on a moneymap. But yeah, that's my view on that! :D

Zmoney

Reaction score
I agree with Azreal, 100%.

If you get a guy with equal skill on a money map, it turns out to be a very challenging game of countering and attacking.

A good money player knows it's more than just massing one unit in a good game, you still need to know counters.

Its basically non-money with more cash. Same game more money.

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Zsquared said:
I agree with Azreal, 100%.

If you get a guy with equal skill on a money map, it turns out to be a very challenging game of countering and attacking.

A good money player knows it's more than just massing one unit in a good game, you still need to know counters.

Its basically non-money with more cash. Same game more money.

no,the only thing that works in moeny maps is massing...

on a non money. a group of 4 sairs harassing overlords can wina game for you..

on a money map.4 sairs is shit,and killing 10 overlords in shit,zerg makes 50 new overlords with 2 clicks

harassing workers early game win non money can mean the game,SIX lings can win the game for you if u harras correctly.

on money maps,6 lings are shit,by the time u get opver there they have 15+ workers to fight off the lings.
and even IF you kill most of workers,they have 500+ minerals piled up

theres more reasons but i dont feal like typing,but the only point in money maps is to mass. and there no like non money.

though i dont mind a few money maps ev once in a while to pass time.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
only thing i dotnm like about money maps its all air attacks :(