Miyazaki's Works

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
In my opinion, he truly is the godfather of beautiful animation. What are your favourites and why? And what are your not so favourites?

In truth, I adored every movie I've watched that Studio Ghibli has produced (I haven't watched all, but I've definitely covered 1/2 the list). As a kid, the ones I enjoyed the most are My Neighbour Totoro and Laputa, the former because Totoro was...well, cute, and the latter for the action/adventure. I think we can file them as true anime classics.

For the more recent works, I'm a big fan of Spirited Away - honestly, I thought it was a real masterpiece with delicious surroundings and an imaginative world that we can actually picture and believe that such a world exists. And despite my recent obsession for Howl from Howl's Moving Castle (just because he is so hawt and charming - I'd love to be whisked away like that :p), I don't think it truly is up to the high standards we've set due to the confusion of the whole story with the fast pace. I only understood the entire thing after watching it around...20 times over the weekend. (Don't sue me, I live alone, and it keeps me company when I turn on the TV because there's nothing better to watch in this damn country.)

Now my not so favourites are probably Porco Rosso and Princess Mononoke. I didn't like the latter's story line and it felt like it was dragging me on and on and on and on with all that droning. And Porco Rosso seemed rather flat when you take away the pig and the fancy aircraft controls. Mind you, I still like the overall artwork, but when the content sags in the wrong places, it does feel not as pleasing.

And of course, Grave of Fireflies is worth mentioning. I've watched it twice as a child, but I've sworn not to watch it again because it was so depressing. But you've got to admit that it's one anime that really brings the emotions out of you.

- Amantis

Sogeking

Shithead
Reaction score
You've outdone yourself, double posting and double threading all it one night <3

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
The internet here sucks. I'm using a proxy browser and stealing my neighbour's wireless for many different reasons.

- Amantis

sharksfin.gamer

T-Virus Mutation
Reaction score
spirited away is one of my most favorite animation done by Miyazaki... though I still ofund it hard to stomach the pig parents... lol

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I've only seen Howl's, Spirited Away, Mononoke, and Kiki's Delivery Service. They're all good quality, but Spirited Away is the best, it stands out the most in my opinion.

We rented Mind Game and Paprika on a movie night a while back and they were really good. I liked them better. Well, Spirited Away was better than Paprika, but not Mind Game.

Mind Game (2004)
Paprika (2006)

sharksfin.gamer

T-Virus Mutation
Reaction score
so what do you guys consider as miyazaki's greatest work?

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Spirited Away was his best movie. The rest are pretty 'meh.' I just recently saw Howl's Moving Castle again and I didn't like it near as much as I did the first time I saw it, however to me Spirited Away is still enjoyable.

sharksfin.gamer

T-Virus Mutation
Reaction score
how about the others who commented? what do you guys think?