Mirco Tactics: A History Of

Mr.Grim

Reaction score
I was wondering if users would be interested in arranging a list of starcraft micro tactics like Reaver Drops and the Arbiter reloaded ect.. as well as a list of tactics I was more interested in the pro gamers who first started to effectively and competivly use these tactics.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sure. I can list some this weekend. For each race, right?

For now:
Protoss:
dt drop-drop one dt onto mine. wait for it to explode, killing surrounding units.(pick it up then drop another dt)
-if T uses scan, pick it up and drop it somewhere else.(works for zealots as well) Rinse and repeat while you expo.

dt rush-if you come across a mine, immediately select the dt and hit the hold key. If all goes well, the dt will have swiped the mine without taking any damage.

psi-drop-this one is a bit more self-explanatory.

carrier micro vs goliaths- use a key then click on goliath, then retreat to cliff. Your blimps take minimal damage as he loses a bunch of gols with this technique and is fairly easy to do. Rinse and repeat until you've killed a huge number of goliaths, then proceed zipping around the map, raping everything in sight.

Ok, that's it for now.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
dt drop-drop one dt onto mine. wait for it to explode, killing surrounding units.(pick it up then drop another dt)
-if T uses scan, pick it up and drop it somewhere else.(works for zealots as well) Rinse and repeat while you expo.
Okay.. are you trying to say that another player would be stupid enough to let a shuttle come in and land a DT right on top of a mine that they can see therefore they can not only anticipate what is happening, but you're assuming they wouldn't move their units away from the DT in the first place?

If that's not what you're saying please be more clear, if it is that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, and a waste of a DT.

carrier micro vs goliaths- use a key then click on goliath, then retreat to cliff. Your blimps take minimal damage as he loses a bunch of gols with this technique and is fairly easy to do. Rinse and repeat until you've killed a huge number of goliaths, then proceed zipping around the map, raping everything in sight.
This isn't necessarily a micro tactic, right clicking has the same effect as the A key, interceptors will still retreat to the carrier if the carrier exceeds the minimum range of attack. If you're talking about carrier kiting in general, that is best pulled off with atleast 2 carriers, and would take a bit more than a paragraph of explanation.

All you really just said was use carriers to kill goliaths, lots of them.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Okay.. are you trying to say that another player would be stupid enough to let a shuttle come in and land a DT right on top of a mine that they can see therefore they can not only anticipate what is happening, but you're assuming they wouldn't move their units away from the DT in the first place?

If that's not what you're saying please be more clear, if it is that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, and a waste of a DT.

This isn't necessarily a micro tactic, right clicking has the same effect as the A key, interceptors will still retreat to the carrier if the carrier exceeds the minimum range of attack. If you're talking about carrier kiting in general, that is best pulled off with atleast 2 carriers, and would take a bit more than a paragraph of explanation.

All you really just said was use carriers to kill goliaths, lots of them.

Wow. I've never read such a load of crap in my life. Wait. Nevermind. This is Battleforums. I read it all the time.
Sakutha, just STFU.
Everything I've just said happens pretty much all the time in this mu.
Actually, I do recall severals pro games of this. One would be Reach vs Silent Control(back in say 2004), but Reach used zealots instead.
Another with Reach and Iloveoov, killed abunch of vultures. It was on some ashworld map. And Bisu dt drops alot in both pvt and pvz.
Next time do some research before derailing a nice thread, jackass.
And about the carr thing: It is a micro thing since it involves unit control.

Back on topic:
Goons vs marines/vults/tank(sometimes they scvs along, too)- Focus fire on one marine then pull back. Rinse and repeat. Then the vults. Often vults will stray from tank range so that will be your window to attack them. This is an early game thing. Then lastly kill the tanks.

Goons vs zealots(w/o speed)- do the above. This won't work once they have speed.

Arbiter recall- fairly easy to do if you use hotkeys.(even with more than one arb in under 5 seconds) Arbs can recall while in transit so you can immediately retreat them once they do they're job.

Feel free to post some feedback of your own, Mr.Grim.

Sakuhta

Reaction score
Calm down, Phoenix, I wasn't attacking you, I was pointing out that you're post wasn't entirely clear in what it meant, somewhat hard to understand.

Back on topic:
Goons vs marines/vults/tank(sometimes they scvs along, too)- Focus fire on one marine then pull back. Rinse and repeat. Then the vults. Often vults will stray from tank range so that will be your window to attack them. This is an early game thing. Then lastly kill the tanks.
This is an incredibly effective tactic if you're enemy doesn't already have speed lots / crack lings.

Dragoons can be microed to have a very deadly form of an 'elastic attack' of sorts. Once dragoons have obtained the Singularity Charge upgrade from the Cybernetics Core, they will out range all equivalent units, only trumped by siege tanks, ghosts and guardians. Move your dragoons within the maximum range of their weapons, and as soon as they begin to attack pull them back. The dragoons weapon will still fire and you will be safely out of range of the enemy while your weapons are on cooldown, and will take very little damage if any. This can be very effectively used to destroy much larger numbers of enemies, as dragoons are moderately fast and one of the very few units that can continue to fire while on the move.

It's also worth noting that neither Reach nor silent control were ever professional SC players, neither of them made any achievements above the amateur player circuit.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Calm down, Phoenix, I wasn't attacking you, I was pointing out that you're post wasn't entirely clear in what it meant, somewhat hard to understand.

This is an incredibly effective tactic if you're enemy doesn't already have speed lots / crack lings.

Dragoons can be microed to have a very deadly form of an 'elastic attack' of sorts. Once dragoons have obtained the Singularity Charge upgrade from the Cybernetics Core, they will outrange all equivalent units, only trumped by siege tanks, ghosts and guardians. Move your dragoons within the maximum range of their weapons, and as soon as they begin to attack pull them back. The dragoons weapon will still fire and you will be safely out of range of the enemy while your weapons are on cooldown, and will take very little damage if any. This can be very effectively used to destroy much larger numbers of enemies, as dragoons are moderately fast and one of the very few units that can continue to fire while on the move.

WTF are you talking about? I' never said vs cracklings or speed lots(which I already said it wouldn't work against speedlots). Learn to ****in' read before you try to correct someone.
Dragoon micro vs rine/vult/tank. That was it.(along with non speed zealots)

Sakuhta

Reaction score
WOW. I'm not correcting you, I was making a completely separate statement of my own.

Obviously your command and understanding of the English language is INCREDIBLY limited.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
Sakuhta, too poor to play wow eh?

Mr.Grim

Reaction score
Sorry for being missing for so long =(

I was looking for a way to try and identify who first made these famous micro moves famous in pro-gaming. Like the medic blind strike on a carrier fleets observers with cloaked wraiths comming into clean, Or the ever sexy reaver drop, or who started using the arbitor realoaded move to perfection.