Microsoft says no next-gen xbox in 2012`

CrazyKooK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Microsoft says no next-gen xbox in 2012

Microsoft claims a new generation of the xbox would overshadow the launch of Halo 4 or the game would overshadow the console launch (being that Halo 4 will NOT be introduced to the new system). Microsoft made it very clear that the two would not be released at the same time, likely to preserve sales of both products. Potential Halo 4 players may dimish their desires for the new game if better graphics are offered on other games released at the time and potenital xbox 720 (?) owners may hold off when playing their new Halo 4 game on the old system.

It has also been said that the success of the xbox Kinect has prevented an earlier next-gen release as Microsoft wishes to not undermine their slaes. The rumors that the next Xbox would be released in 2012 were just that, rumors, despite their widespread acceptance. Will this allow PS4 to flourish with the first to market advantage?

awesomedor

Reaction score
I doubt PS4 would be released in 2012, but I would bet that both consoles will be releasing in mid-late 2013 or sometime in 2014

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I don't know people who seem to think a new console is forthcoming. We're at least 2 years from a launch. At least. At most we'll get a first glimpse next E3, followed by a year of development, another E3 then a fall launch.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Both consoles will be out by November 2013. They will let Nintendo have the first part of the year and then do clean up just in time for Christmas. I don't think either company will have The Last of Us for Sony or Watch Dogs for both come out for the current consoles. They want those types of game on their new console as that is what you build a lineup around.

johnTisRad

Reaction score
That is very interesting to hear. I agree both the ps4 and the xbox 720 will have to be out by around 2013 just because the release of them is so anticipated that if they hold of too long they will lose some sales. I think that if microsoft were to change Halo 4 to go only on the new xbox 720 it would increase their sales but that requires more work and will result in angry customers who just aren't at the point in time to upgrade their xbox or device yet. They are using a smart business strategy because if they release too many products at once no one can afford to get all of the products which will diminish sales, and this gives people time to relax after halo 4 comes out before going back and purchasing something else. You also made a great point by saying that people may not be interested because they want games on the 720 that will have better graphics.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
They may allow Halo 4 to come out on both the 360 and whatever the new one is called, but they will not do what Sony did for way too long and keep allowing developers to make games for their old console. That is very bad business and it really hurt Sony by letting the PS2 continue on as they did. You have to encourage the movement to the new console, so I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 4 is capable of doing something on the new one that it can't do on the 360.

Scoobysteaks

Reaction score
I think they can hold on for a while longer before their sales are affected in the slightest. I am not anticipating a new console, I have one that works perfectly.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Microsoft would be able to sell 360s for quite some time as there are many people buying them for their media center purposes first and gaming second. However, it is time to bring out the new one, especially since they plan on getting a 10+ years out of it. I'm ready for it to come out next year.

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
I don't blame them. Why should they? Just because Nintendo is bringing out their new system doesn't mean anyone else has to do it right away. The Wii U is now being seen as only marginally better than the ps3 and 360. And that's a big step down from what was once considered "Miles ahead of the ps3 and 360".

Let them come out when they're good and ready.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
I'm not even sure that Nintendo will be able to bring the Wii U out by Christmas 2012 after what I saw and didn't see at E3. They look like they are still scrambling around for enough games to make people want to buy the console. They didn't have an extensive enough line up from what I could tell.

Nickman13

Reaction score
From what I heard, the Xbox 720 will be released in 2014. Companies are already making games to test with the software of the 720. Of course these are only small movements towards the reproduction product. But in this case, every small step is a giant leap towards the next gen xbox.

Sugarhill

Member!
Reaction score
Companies have already started making games for the next one. They started about two years ago. There was a big write up that Cliffy B had it in his possession a while ago. I'm convinced that Watch Dogs is really for the next consoles, not the current ones, so I believe that they will come out in the 3rd or 4th quarter of 2013. I doubt very seriously that they would allow Nintendo to have an entire year to themselves with a new product.