Mercenary's War

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Not entirely true, it would have to be more of a team effort. V'kleta is only part of the puzzle.))

Riana, who had been strangely quiet the entire time they were infiltrating the fortress, stepped forward. "The door does not exist. I shall help you see." Drawing her bow, she shot a mystic arrow at the door. Inches before hitting it, the arrow exploded in a shower of light, blinding the adventurers. When they could see again, the door and the wall it was set in had disappeared. In its place was a wall made of shimmering crystal, shifting from white to black with all the colors of the rainbow in between. But in the center of the wall was a crack surrounded by black crystal that did not change in color. In fact, it seemed to absorb light. Beyond the wall, they could barely see the form of a man sitting on a chair. "The mages here are adept at illusions. But the realm of water magics is the origin of illusions. They are no match for me."

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((If you want to have them try to get through for a little while, I'll have V'kleta join back in in a little while, and then you can RP what needs to be done.))

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
Dhrenzen got up from his seat and unsheathed his sword. Not the obsidian sword, but the regular Zwielhander that he was an expert with. Spinning it around his head until it became a blur of grey Dhrenzen removed one hand and unsheathed the obsidian great sword. A great strain was showing on Dhrenzen's face and sweat beaded on his cheeks and brow. Lunging with the black sword, and striking on the surface of the door at the extact same time with the other, the swords both struck with amazing force.

(( I'll let DoC RP the results, don't want to make it to easy. ))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((I think that enough real time has passed that V'kleta can join us once more.))

Unbeknownst to the others, V'kleta's smoky demonic essence watched as Dhren's mighty blow smashed into the door. He focused his attention, interested in seeing the results. He made a mental side note to reappear soon.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
With the blow, the obsidian sword slipped into the crack. A thunder without sound exploded through the hall, and the crack extended from ceiling to floor. Dhrenzen pulled his blade from the hole. The shimmering crystal slowly receded into the wall, revealing, not the room beyond, but a howling abyss. At the edge of the void was a shimmering wall. At the center of the wall was a small red crystal, with a hole etched into it. "Hmph. More magic. These mages are far too cautious." Ian said.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
V'kleta materialized in front of the door. Ignoring the others, he acted on a hunch. The amulet extruded from his chest and he took it off and placed it into the hole, then stood back to see what happened.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
The stone flashed, and disappeared. In its place, the amulet still floated in the space it had left, but the void left by the stone grew, showing the room beyond. In that room, chained to a stone chair, was an elven mage. His robes were torn and bloodied, and his face was bruised and blood-caked. He raised his head weakly, and seeing the adventurers, his eyes opened wide. "Behind you!" he croaked weakly. The group turned, and from the stairwell emerged three men, apparently mages by the robes they wore. One gasped and pointed at the floating amulet. "They have the Gi-nan Key! You will die for its theft!"

"Wonderful," Ian mumbled. Riana placed her hand on his shoulder. "I will tend to the elf's wounds. You three take care of them." Ian nodded. "Of course. This shouldn't take long."

One of the mages laughed. "You presume too much! You will not beat us!"

((Okay, we'll all take one. These guys are the top mages in the Citadel, so RP it pretty good. They're trained in martial and mystic arts, and are good at blending them. To J'kar, remember, V'kleta can't use his uber-transformations. You're in a small hallway, and anything that causes a large amount of destruction could be counter-productive. And Dhren, your double greatsword bit is going to be a little hard, too. So, to sum it up to the both of you, use attacks that don't hit everything in front of you. RP your battles, and I'll get back to you all with our elven warrior of Wood.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((ooh...this should be fun. Okay. You didn't specify what sort of sorcery they employed, so I'll assume it's multi-elemental.))

V'kleta grinned at the thought of battle with these mages. These close confines are perfect for the assassin-breed form he's been waiting to use. First, he rushes forward at the first mage, the one in the center, who is weaving his hands in a complex pattern and muttering a spell. V'kleta morphs heavy goatlike satyr legs, and does a backflip-kick that knocks the mages back, interrupting the one's spell and allowing V'kleta the short time he needs to transform.

V'kleta stands with his arms spread wide and crouches, bowing his head as energy crackles over him. His clothes melt away into nothingness, save a jewel-encrusted belt and an ornately-decorated loincloth. Arcane tattoos appear, covering his back and upper arms. Thick horns rise from his elbows, back, and the rear-facing knees. The fur of the Satyr legs disappears, replaced by hard reptilian scales. The hooves are replaced with the talons of a primordial dinosaur. His fingers grow wicked claws, and small, hooked claws grow from his ribcage. His eyes turn yellow and reptilian, and a long, serpentine tail ridged with flat spines and tipped with nastly-looking blades grows from his rear end. To complete the transformation, two demonic horns sprout from his forehead and curve proudly forward. He looks up with a grin, arms still spread, and beckons the mage to come to him.

The enemy sorceror growls appreciation of V'kleta's shapeshifting ability, obviously recognizing the power required, but is not intimidated, and he throws his hands forward, shooting a bolt of electricity at the new V'kleta. As the energy arcs towards him, V'kleta grins and leaps, not at the mage, but straight up. Flipping midair, he lands on the ceiling and waggles his tongue at the infuriated mage. He darts along the ceiling with lightning speed, weaving to avoid the scorching blasts of electric energy the mage throws at him in quick succession. The smoke generated by the blasts temporarily clouds the mage's vision, and he stands in a ready position, eyeing the fumes where he last saw V'kleta. Behind him, a dimly visible shape drops silently to the ground behind the sorceror, and the spiked tail whips out of the smoke to smack the mage in the back with the blunt end, driving him forward and making him angrier. He turns to face his attacker, and V'kleta crouches and breathes in deeply. The smoke in the corridor swirls around him and sinks into his body, and the hall is once more clear. The mage yells and runs forward, delivering a hail of blows upon the elusive but now-stationary V'kleta, who bends and yields to each hit, welcoming it. The mage's punches carry elemental power, resulting in a frostbitten patch on V'kleta's chest, a slightly burnt portion of his ribcage, and a gangrenous bruise in his stomach. The sorceror delivers a final kick to V'kleta's jaw, and V'kleta falls back to the ground.

The sorceror, thinking he smells victory, arrogantly steps forward to kick the prone figure. As he raises his foot, V'kleta's mouth turns in a smile, and the mage's face goes white as V'kleta's tail whips out to deprive the man of the foot still on the ground. Now very much in pain and very very angry, the sorceror falls to the ground and suddenly finds V'kleta directly on top of him, slashing and kicking and gouging with his horns. Within seconds the battle has turned and the mage is merely attempting to escape with his life...but V'kleta has decided that the man's life is something he wants, and V'kleta gets what V'kleta wants.

The mage slams his hands into V'kleta's chest, releasing elemental power into the barrel of the demon, and V'kleta flies up into the air, but flips and returns to the ceiling. He races along the ceiling, to the walls, to the floor again and stands behind the still-getting-up sorceror. V'kleta grasps the mage by the nape of the neck, and his tail flashes once,then twice, and the sorceror's arms fall to the floor, dousing the stone with blood. V'kleta turns the man to face him, and the mage manages a final scream of anger and pain before V'kleta's jaws crunch into his face, silencing him forever.

((See, he doesn't need a big form to kick ass. Did I do the mage justice enough? I gave as much advantage as I could while still allowing V'kleta to dominate the battle, as is his nature.))

((Edit: Wow. That is a lot longer than it looked in the "quick reply" box...sorry for that. I got carried away. I'm a budding author. :D))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Don't worry, I know what it's like. Anywho, Dhren is back. As soon as he finishes up all the work he's missed, he'll post. I like to fight last. Anywho, I have yet to talk to our Wood warrior, although I'm pretty sure I can get to that today.))

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
(( My mage will be a necromancer and a dark mage. ))

Dhrenzen turns to the mage on the left of the two and advances. The mage casts a spell that coats the walls and ceiling and floor and makes new walls in the empty spots. Dhrenzen and the mage are the only two left in the room.

The room then seems to expand infinitely, and an illusion of stars appear. Although it seems as if the ground dissapeared, but they were standing on stone. 6 beasts flew from every angle at the wizard's command, and stood around Dhrenzen. The monsters had countless wings, and at least 5 eyes. They held golden spears that glowed with arcane power. They were clothed in sashes and robes. They advanced toward him pointing their spears at him.

The obsidian greatsword was out in a second. He flew toward the angelic beast that was directly in front of him. He roared and plunged the sword into the face of the beast. Retracting the blade he jumped backwards and did a backflip before he hit the ground. He ducked under a spear and cut off the tip. The tip quickly grew back, but only right before the monster's head was severed. Two angelic beasts replaced the felled beasts at the summoner's command. He sliced open the chests of two of the beasts between him and the summoner.

The summoner quickly materialized a staff with an equally obsidian jewel on the end. "Now it is time that I retrieved my beloved obsidian sword!" A dark blast came from the tip of the rod. Dhrenzen deflected the blast with his sword as he was running towards him. He swung at the mage, but a shield deflected his sword. He swung from the deflection and hit at him again. Over and over again he attacked, wearing down the shield. The shield sputtered and fell, and Dhrenzen saw his chance. Just as he was swinging, the mage turned the staff into a sword identical to Dhrenzen's. Dhrenzen knew that the mage was no warrior, and he attacked relentlessly. The mage couldn't hold up the defense, and Dhrenzen disarmed him. He took his own sword and cut off the mage's head, and severed the mage's torso from his legs.

Dhrenzen was instantly teleported back into the hallway, and Ian and the last mage were already fighting.

(( Sorry I killed him so fast, he wouldn't be able to stand up to my strength. ))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Naturally, as creator and DM of the thread, I'll be fighting the head mage. That should be enough to explain his combat abilities.))

Ian took a combat stance, as the mage summoned a fireball and hurled it at him. "Interesting," Ian muttered, as he threw a small shard of ice at the fireball. The two collided and canceled each other. "Fire and ice. This should be good." He brought up his wristblades and advanced slowly. The mage counjured a flash of flame that solidified in his hands, turning into a naginata with a glowing red blade. He took his fighter's stance, swinging his polearm through the air. It left a trail of fire in it's wake. Ian leapt forward, feinting with one blade and coming in low with the other. The mage read the move and brought his weapon down to guard. As the blades met, white steam erupted as each blade attempted to exert its elemental power over the other. With his free hand, Ian slashed at the mage. In an instant and a flash of flame, the mage teleported backwards, evading the blow. Ian summoned a blast of ice, directing it at the mage. The mage summoned fire as well. The two forces collided, then began writhing and twisting around each other in a vain attempt to win over the other. But even as Ian and the mage fed more power into the maelstrom of warring elements, neither could win. Suddenly, the roiling mass of power imploded, creating what seemed to be a magical void as large as a man. The void began to suck in everything not tied down, including the bodies of the other two mages and the remaining living. V'kleta secured himself by quickly morphing a set of talon-like feet and diggint into the stone. Dhrenzen embedded his greatsword into the rock of the floor and held on for his life. Riana and the elf were secure enough, her hanging onto the stone chair and he chained to it. Ian dug his left wristblade into the ground and the mage did the same with his naginata. But due to their closeness to the void, even this couldn't stop them from sliding closer to destruction. With his free hand, Ian conjured a blade of ice and hurled it at the mage. The projectile struck the mage's arm, causing him to release his hold on his weapon. The mage flew into the vortex, being torn apart by the wild magic within. After his death, the void closed, and the adventurers released their respective holds on the floor.

Breathing heavily, Ian walked to where the naginata was still embedded in the floor. Lifting it from the ground, it hissed and sizzled as he touched it. "It conflicts and fights with me. It is of the fire element. V'kleta, would you like a new weapon for your arsenal?"

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
V'kleta grinned. "Why sure, my icy companion. I am always happy to add to my power, even if I am more than adequately equipped." He held out his scythe, and the small blade at the end of the handle snaked down to embed in the stone, holding it in place. V'kleta took hold of the naginata and drained its energy into himself, a torrent of flame being sucked into his body through his amulet (the one he had first, not the one from the dead beast). When the naginata was empty of power, V'kleta absorbed its physical form into himself. When he was done, he snapped his fingers and his scythe snaked back across the floor to rest itself in his hand. He looked at Ian, waiting for the next move.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((The next move is that I get our elf to post. It's a little difficult, he's a bit spacey sometimes.))

"I believe we should introduce ourselves to our new warrior." He turned to where Riana was tending to the elf. She had removed the chains and had begun to treat his wounds. "Well, elf, I am Ian Silverwing. I'll leave it to my companions to introduce themselves."

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
V'kleta put his elbow up against his scythe and leaned back, picking his teeth with a manifested claw. "I am V'kleta, demon lord of the Realm of Shadow, and master of wherever I choose to reign. I am currently enjoying myself in this little 'quest'. Pleased to meet you."

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
"Hello elf, I am Dhrenzen. I am a Teutonic Knight, and I love combat." Dhrenzen sheathed his sword and leaned against the wall. "I am glad to see that all of us has come out ok of our fight."

kairama15

Member!
Reaction score
The Elf: Good to meet you. I'm Kai Rama of Nyrond, a small elvish village in Niradria. I'm so glad you guys came. It's terrible in this place. May I ask that you get me out of here?

*With that, Kai practically falls to the floor in fatigue from his wounds and goes to sleep.*

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
"Well that was fulfilling," Dhrenzen says in a sarcastic tone. "What do we do know, lug his body out into the open, past all the guards, all the mercs, and out the gate and wave farewell to the gatekeeper?" he asked still in a sarcastic tone.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
"Well, it's the best we can do at the moment. Unless anyone else has an idea." As he said this, he lifted the unconcious elf from the floor. "Gods, for an elf, he's heavy. Do they have anything of his lying on the floor in there?"

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
V'kleta walked to Ian's side. "Do you need assistance carrying the unconscious elf? Weight does not bother me. I could lift a 12-ft stone column with one hand. An elf shouldn't be any trouble."