Mercenary's War

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
Tulanth stepped forward. "You are all not on a mission to free a captive." Looks of surprise sprung up on the warriors' faces. "I set that mission, knowing full well that Ian would lead you here, hoping to outfit the team with supplies from my stores." He walked to a wall. Placing his hand on it, a small square vanished, showing a large opening in the wall. Reaching in, Tulanth brought out a gold-linked chain belt. On the belt were emblems, each carved from a different material.

Returning to the group, Tulanth pulled a red crystal emblem off of the belt. The gold link it was on simply vanished. "Demon, this is for you." He handed the emblem to V'kleta. As V'kleta took it, the triangular emblem flashed, and absorbed into V'kleta's skin. In a moment, the emblem reformed on the back of V'kleta's hand, shining with a steady, blood-red glow. The amulet that V'kleta had won from the wind beasts pulsed in time with it.

Turning to Dhrenzen, Tulanth pulled another emblem off the belt. He handed it to Dhrenzen. Taking the strange, multi-edged stone emblem, Dhrenzen held it in his hand. Suddenly, the emblem flew out of his hand, and attached to the chest plate of the golden armor. The gold flowed around the edges of the emblem, anchoring it.

Turning to Ian, he said, "It is about time that you recieved this." He pulled yet another emblem off, this one made of iron. He handed it to Ian. It was circular, with strange marks engraved into it's face. It floated from Ian's hand to his waist, and in a flash, he suddenly wore a wide leather belt, with the emblem as it's buckle.

Turning to Riana, he said, "You, too, have waited long for this." He broke off another emblem, this one a square, blue crystal. Riana took it from him, and brought it up to her silver necklace. The emblem flashed, and fused itself to the necklace, becoming a pendant.

"Now, I'm sure that you two would like an explanation." He nodded at V'kleta and Dhrenzen. "I am the avatar of the High powers. I was placed on this planet to ensure the balance between the forces of Light and Dark. The Dark have been creating a bit of a...disturbance, recently." He looked at V'kleta. "You are most likely asking yourself why you should care. You should care because this Dark seems somehow seperate from your evil. While you seem to not care about the world, while these...powers want only to take it over." He turned his attention back to the group as a whole again. "You are four of the six, a prophesized group of warriors destined to turn back the Dark. But, sadly, the Dark has already captured the other two. You must now go and free them. You will continue on to the citadel, for that is where the warrior of wood is imprisoned." He handed the remaining links of the chain to Ian. "I entrust these to you. You must take them to their warriors. Return here with the new warrior. I will outfit them with equipment." He gestured to the treasure and supplies around him. "You may take some provisions from this room. The weapons, although, are merely ordinary. I have more important provisions for you in a safer place. Return to me when you are done."

((Okay, most of the stuff in the room is gold, jewels, etc. So you should really only take a bit. Most of the places you'll be going don't really require that much money. So, grab a bit of gold, and come back to the group. Then I'll take you all to the secret vault. Hehehe...))

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I know I probably shouldn't post this here, but I have to know: Am I the only one who has to highlight the text in here to read?

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Yes...you are. Now go away...this is an RPG, not a chat thread. Sorry for my bluntness, but due to time constraints I have to make this post quick.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*V'kleta browses about the gold and jewels, finding little of interest to him. He finds a few bloodstones that he takes a minor interest in, so he grabs a couple. The rare stones are of rather high value to mortals, and may become good bargaining chips in the quest ahead. Sure, he could materialize any money he needed, but why bother when there are some right here? Finding nothing else he cares for, he swallows the bloodstones and returns to the group.*

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
Dhrenzen walked into the vault and was amazed at the dazzling jewels. He went over to a pile of gold coins and sifted through them. Picking out 50 of the best and most valuable and poured them into his money sack. Grabbing gold necklaces he draped them over his neck. Then he placed two wrist guards on his wrists, and the placed a adamantium helmet upon his head.

He then walked back to the group and told Ian he was ready.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*V'kleta fidgets waiting to see the weapon armory, and he idly wonders if he may find the weapon he's been searching the planes for for years in this man's storage. He recalls the fine scythe with great fondness...it was the scythe which made him what he is today. He misses its voice in his mind, whispering to him, telling him all the secrets of the multiverse. He longs to hold its skeletal handle, to run his fingers along its organic blade, to feel the pulse of the flesh that makes up the eye-spotted head of the weapon. Oh...how the scythe calls to him...it's been so long since he held it. He desperately hopes that the one thing to elude a god is in the hands of this mysterious Tulanth...*

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Have you been playing Soul Caliber, J'kar? That sounds a lot like the soul blade that Nightmare has.))

Seeing that the warriors were prepared, Tulanth waved them along. "Follow me, please." He walked to what appeard to be nothing more than another section of the wall. He placed his hand on the wall and murmured something too quietly for the rest to hear, and the wall split open, revealing another, smaller room. In this room were six chests, all on pedastals raising them to chest level. Tulanth walked towards the farthest on the left, a black, sinister looking box that seemed to pull the very light from the air around it. He waved V'kleta over. "You see the seal on the lock?" He indicated the object in question. The seal looked exactly the same as the emblem V'kleta now wore on his hand. "Only you may open this chest." He stepped back, giving V'kleta room to open the chest. V'kleta stepped forward, reaching for the lock. The lock and emblem flashed in unison, and the lid flew open. A column of pure darkness shot out, seeming to steal the light from the room. A silent thunder rocked them all. Then all was quiet. Reaching into the chest, V'kleta found a war scythe, crafted of bone and flesh, with eyes along the head of the weapon, near the blade. The eyes quivered constantly, as if attempting to see everything at once.

Turning away from V'kleta, Tulanth turned to Dhrenzen. He beckoned him to another chest, this one made of stone. If the chest had been in the wild at any point, none of them would have seen it, for it's only identifying characteristics were a faint carving of Dhrenzen's emblem and a crack that ran horizontally around the entire rock. Dhrenzen, understanding what to do, reached for the seal. Both the seal and his emblem flashed, and the lid of the stone chest shattered. Reaching inside, Dhrenzen found a greatsword crafted of a strange, black rock, with the same shine as obsidian. Lifting it, Dhrenzen was surprised by it's light weight. Seeing the look of surprise on Dhrenzen's face, Tulanth said, "Only you can can lift it. Even the demon, in his godhood, couldn't lift it from the ground."

((Okay, I'm gonna have to stop here. I know you're both itching to see Riana and Ian's weapons, but you'll just have to wait. I'm in school, and the bell is about to ring. I'll finish it either tonight or tommorow.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Yes I have played SC...V'kleta's scythe is similar, yes...but its origins are different.))

*V'kleta's eyes light up and he rockets his hands out to clutch at his long-lost weapon. He holds it up and feels the black energy flowing through him. The incredible power that the bestial weapon feeds him causes his body's shapeshifting ability to briefly malfunction, and a wave of energy ripples across him, briefly exposing the impenetrable darkness that is his soul. As deep as it was before he grasped the scythe, it becomes even blacker as he holds it. He smiles as he holds the ageless weapon to his chest and embraces it as if it were an old lover. The handle, the shape reminescent of a serpentine spinal column, curls lovingly about him, and they stand there for a short time, lost in the joy of their reunification. The scythe handle returns to its normal position, and V'kleta runs his hand along it before firmly grasping it and holding it before him. The eyes on the scythe head focus upon him, and the familiar voice that he longed for for so many millenia resonates once more through his head in old Demonic.*

Sziegan vak ditme, sch'fliiten kein vama yi euyudura.

*V'kleta swells with inner pride as the words manifest in his head. Welcome, my friend. We have missed you. The demon god of darkness once more clutches his weapon to him, and weeps. In a low voice, he is heard muttering to Tulanth:*

"Thank you...for more than you can ever imagine."

((The weapon was what made V'kleta a god. He used to be mortal, but he was imbued with all of Darkness's power through the scythe. It was the only friend that what he had become could ever have, and when it left him he was lost...a broken god. His life became meaningless, and he became twisted with rage and sorrow. He destroyed entire planes of existance in his search for the ancient blade, but it eluded him with the kind of power that can thwart a god. Now that he is reunited with it, it is unlikely that anything is out of V'kleta's reach.))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
Tulanth waved Riana to another chest. This one was made of a shimmering blue crystal. It shone with a strange inner light. Reaching out towards the chest, Riana stepped forward. The matching emblems flashed, and the top of the chest seemed to flow, creating a hole. Reaching in, Riana pulled out a longbow, crafted of what appeared to be a pale blue crystal. Yet it had no bowstring. Reaching out experimentally, Riana made to draw the bow as if it were strung. A thin beam of light snapped out from the two ends of the bow, creating a luminescent bowstring. Just as she pulled the bow back as far as it could, another beam of light appeared, forming itself into an arrow. It sat perfectly on the nock, as if she had placed it there herself.

Not waiting for instruction from the lord, Ian stepped up to a large, iron chest. He reached out and opened his seal. The lid silently opened. Ian reached in and brought out a pair of long blades. Each was about a foot and a half long, and shaped like a talon. The sharpened part of the blade was on the inward curve, and there was no hilt. Just a flat piece of metal attaced to the blade, facing outward. It seemed to be some form of mount. Looking at his new gauntlets, Ian smiled slightly. He brought the steel plate in contact with the armor plating along the back of his hand. When there was only an inch or so left, the blade jumped from his hand, binding itself to the gauntlet. He did the same with the other blade. Hmmm. Punchblades. An interesting weapon...

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
Noting the giant weapon's weight, he examined it further. Inscriptions were all across the blade, but not deep enought to be seen by the undescerning eye. The carvings were assorted, ranging from oriental, to barbaric, and even some ((please tell me what would be like latin, since it is not earth. He created a sheath at his side using belts, and placed the sword so that is was comfortably dangling at his side.

"Thank you, generous Tulanth," Dhrenzen commented. Looking at the strange sight of a demon hugging a scythe, then two Ian's outrageously large punchblades, and then to the ice bow in the hands of Riana, he thought, I would never see this outside of this group.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
Tulanth gestured to the two remaining chests. One formed of shining bronze, the other carved of a dark wood. "These are for the other warriors. Remember, you must return the warriors here after you find them. As I have already told you, the warrior of wood is in the Black Citadel. You must rescue him. I have done all I can. Good luck, warriors of the Circle." He waved at them, then faded out, disappearing from view. To those in the room with magical senses, he left no tangible trail. He simply seemed to cease to exist.

"Alright, team. Let's get moving. We have to get to the Citadel." Ian spoke easily. He figured that between the four of them, it would be an easy feat to break into the Citadel. The team traveled for a number of days, encountering no dangers, strangely enough. As they went, the land slowly became more desolate and dark. Eventually, they came to a massive mountain on top of a sea cliff. Upon getting closer, they saw that lights dotted the mountain, and spires and towers were carved into it. They had reached the Black Citadel.

"Okay, we're here. I don't know all that much about the Citadel. What I do know is that about half a mile from the base of the mountain, there is a wall about a quarter of a mile thick, housing the entire mercenary army of this nation. I think I know a way in, but suggestions from the team are welcome." Before V'kleta could speak, Ian held his hand up. "No offense meant, V'kleta, but we will not be storming it directly. They have enough troops to halt even you. Gods can't be destroyed, but they can be hurt enough to be neutralized. We don't need to lose one of our fighters this early in the mission."

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
"You said they were mercenaries right?" he said. "We could just pretend to be one of them. If we don't make ourselves stand out, then we'll just blend right in right?"

"Right...?"

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*V'kleta laughs.*

"You mortals...so closed-minded. We can walk right in. You seem to forget my power. I can shift into any form, and you I can cloak in darkness to be of any appearance you wish. We can blend in so perfectly that none will know of our presence. Seriously, entry is not a problem."

((I think V'kleta will be a little more bearable now that he is so happy to be reunited with his scythe. He still is V'kleta, but he should be tolerable now.))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
"I'd rather not rely on your powers quite yet. Their mages aren't all that powerful, but they are trained to locate and track any unknown magic use in the area. We may be able to blend in, like Dhren said." He cast a dubious glance at V'kleta's scythe. "You can make that look normal, right? Our weapons seem strange, but merc armies usually have some elite soldiers that carry magic weapons. Your weapon, however, seems a little too demonic for a mercenary."

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
"There is little this scythe cannot do. Do not worry."

*V'kleta holds the scythe to him closely, and the handle winds about his chest, the blade curling to rest on his back, showing over his shoulder. The weapon melts into him, becoming a part of his armor. V'kleta pulls out a smaller scythe from his belt and stands ready.*

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
"Alright, then, let's get going." Ian led the group to the wall.

"Who's there?" the watchman cried.

"New members of the army. Special forces. You probably weren't notified," Ian shouted up at the man.

"Special forces? You're right, I wasn't notified. But hey, we need all the help we can get. Come on in." He signalled to someone behind him, and the gates slowly creaked open.

Ian and the rest of the team walked quickly, not wanting to be caught of guard in the half-mile long tunnel through the wall. "Once we're through, I'll see if I can get us some horses. V'kleta, are horses bothered by you?"

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*Snorts*

"Please...animals minds are weak and stupid...only slightly more so than those of humans...I can influence them enough to where they will be docile. I will not need a horse, however. I can manifest my own. Tell me...how inconspicuous should we be? I was thinking along the lines of glowing red eyes, black stallion, and rather large amount of plated armor for mine....sound okay, or should I tone it down?"

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
"I would suggest that you let them get you a horse. Not many of the mercenaries have summoning powers." He thought for a moment. "You know what, that should be okay. It should make our cover as special forces more concrete. I can fly, so I don't need a horse. So we'll really only need two. One for Dhrenzen and one for Riana."

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
"Well...crap. That could be a problem unless they have some just tethered up and waiting. Now if only we were not having to be discreet...I could go Drakotaur and everyone could ride me...however, since we do have to be discreet...I cannot help you."