Mercenary's War

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Okay, since no one else is posting, we'll continue))

The party moves on along the road. Before long, they come upon a small, but apparently well off, town. The buildings are large and expensive looking, with expansive lawns. But nobody is around. The town is empty, the only sound is the wind whistling through the streets. As the party moved through the deserted town, the wind became fiercer, driving up dust.

Suddenly, V'kleta was thrown to the ground. Standing up, cursing all the time, he looked down at his chest. There was a large slash running diagonally from his left shoulder to his right hip. He scowled at it, then the gash flashed in flame, and it healed.

Moments later, Dhrenzen was knocked to the ground. He was unharmed, but none could see who was attacking them. The wind blew harder, and the dust obscured all vision.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*Growls.*

"What treachery is this? Let me see our foes, that I may fight them and ravage their corpses!"

*Extends armblades and flares his wings, looking about in a dark rage.*

((And by the way...I find it hard to believe that wind knocked him down. He is a Drakotaur...they don't fall down. They are VERY sturdily planted on the ground. Four legs'll do that for ya. :D Aside from that, the RPing of him was quite accurate :)))

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
"Stand back," Dhrenzen said as he planted his feet firmly. Starting slowly, he swung his sword in a circle. Gaining speed, he kept the sand off of himself. Soon the entire party was out of the sand. At the exact moment he was he screamed, "Get out of the sand and hurry!" Timing it perfectly, Dhrenzen used all of the energy inside him and blazed fire from the end of the sword into the sand. The sand quickly turned to glass, trapping the foes that had taunted.

(( It's your thread, make up what the monsters are ))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((I'm getting to that. You can't see them 'cuz they're invisble. I already gave you all a clue as to how they attack, anyway.))

Yet, as soon as the glass appeared, it shattered. Yet again, the warriors were surrounded by the swirling sands. Down one alley way, they saw a shape emerge from the sands.

The creature stalked towards them. It had the lithe body of a leopard, with mottled brown fur. But each leg changed to a cruel scythe at what would be the knee. Another scythe topped it's long, whip-like tail. It appeared to be walking several inches above the ground. They heard the sharp sound of metal hitting stone. Looking above and behind them, another of the creatures floated. But instead of a mottled brown color, this was a shocking blue white. It was floating nearly ten feet off of the ground, and it was scraping one of it's foreleg scythes against a building. Another sound, to their left. This one, a long, low growl. Turning, the warriors spotted yet another beast, this one a deep, blood red.

The beasts leapt forward. But disappeared only after taking only a few steps.

((Okay, since there is really only the three of us posting, I'm banishing the rest of you. If you want back in, just PM me. Anywho, to J'kar and Dhrenzen, you guys can RP fighting one each. I'll take the last one. Little background info. Yes, they can go invisible. This is at will, so RP a little of that in your post. It's not total invisibility, they distort the light going through them, so you can see them. They leave a little bit of a ripple in the air. But, since we're kinda in a sandstorm at the moment, they'd be pretty hard to see. The blue one curses, which halves all stats. The browinsh one silences, meaning, obviously, you can't cast spells. I'm expanding this to special abilities, too. The red one causes your body to burn continuously, causing constant damage. The only way to remove these stat changes is to kill the beast or wait it out [approx. 5 posts]. You can resist the affects of a hit. Just flip a coin. Heads, you resist. Tails, you're affected.))

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
(( J'kar you can make the first move, don't feel like it now ))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((All right then...V'kleta will take the blue one. And by the way, what he is about to do is so that he can see the attackers easily, because the form he's about to take doesn't rely on vision.))

*V'kleta roars and grins.* "You think that you can hide from ME? I don't need to see you to kill you, Meat." *V'kleta shifts into Alien Xenomorph mode, this time instead of a drone he takes on the form of a towering Queen...a twenty-foot horror of gnashing teeth and black carapaced limbs. The eyeless creature turns as its multiple sensory modes peruse the area, and its electromagnetic vision picks up the three beasts. The Queen hisses and charges at the nearest, slamming into it and knocking it flying a good fifty feet, the impact it makes snapping one of the invisible creature's legs. The Queen moves forward slowly for the kill, and its tail snakes out to impale the creature when the prone beast comes awake and slashes viciously, severing the end of the Queen's tail. The Queen screams in rage and pain, a grating sound that makes everything else on the battlefield stop and cover their ears. Her tail whips around, spraying the area with her acid blood. A little bit gets on Dhrenzen's left shoulder plate and he rips it off as it smokes and sizzles. The Queen continues to lash her tail, and the creature who attacked her loses its left arm as it is drenched in the highly potent blood. The Queen ceases her cries and zeros in on the beast, which is scooting away on its back as best it can, an expression of terror on its face. The Queen places her foot on the creature's chest and leans in to become face-to-face with the struggling animal. She opens her jaws and hisses, revealing the stiff tongue that is tipped with an extra set of jaws that rests within her mouth. The beast gives one last howl of terror before the inner jaws snap out and plunge through its skull, ending its life.*

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((That was utterly disgusting and graphing. I LOVED IT!!! You know how to pick a good sci-fi monster to morph into. Anywho, Dhren, you need to zap one before I pick. And by the way, these are semi-boss-ish monsters. There will be rewards for killing them. Nice, magic item rewards.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
DragonOfChaos said:
((That was utterly disgusting and graphing. I LOVED IT!!! You know how to pick a good sci-fi monster to morph into.))
((I thank you! I love this kind of crap...I know I have problems, but nothing pleases me more to have an excuse to have my character shift into an Alien Queen and ravage the Hell out of something that really has no chance against it. Describing the carnage a Queen can inflict is my highest pleasure. :lucifer :D

And yeah Dhren sorry about the armor but slay that second one so we can continue.))

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
Looking up from his melted shoulder-plate, he tried to find another monster. Hearing a click on his left, he ducked and swung his sword at the ground, at what he thought was the monster's scyth-feet. A few more swings to his left and then to his right, he realized that his sword wouldn't do him very good. He tossed it aside, and closed his eyes.

I can't see them, so I won't need my eyes.

Dhrenzen felt the wind blowing on his hair, on his clothes, into his ears. He felt the sand stinging into his face, blowing through his hair. he heared the wind whistling, a high-pitched whistle that hurt the ears. He heard the fast clicking of the monster's leg against the stone ground. Kicking out to his left, his leg collided with an object.

I hope that wasn't Ian!

Walking backwards slowly, he felt a wall at his feet. Hearing a click to his left he jumped up then off the wall, hearing a click against the stone wall. He kicked down colliding again. Upon hitting the ground, he ran forward and thrust his hand forward. His hand gripped something thin, presumably the creature's leg. Pulling the leg toward him, he twisted and cracked the leg. Then he pulled with all his strength, and ripped the scythe out off of the rest of the leg. The monster wailed and walked backwards. Using the scythe as a sword, he swung to his left. Missing he jumped backwards. The monster advancing, swund at Dhrenzen's chest. Hearing the sickle leg slice the air he parried and cut off the other front leg.

Now with only one hind leg and one front leg, the beast couldn't move. He opened his eyes to see a shimmering light in front of him. Taking one of the severed legs, he plunged it into the stomach. Taking the other leg he plunged it into the head, sticking it to the ground.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Also incredibly graphic and disgusting. I got some good RPers in here. Hehehe...my turn. Since you didn't pick a color for your beast, we'll assume you killed the red one.))

Ian heard the seperate battles of his two companions. A swishing sound rent the air, and he ducked. He was unsure how close the beast had come to hitting him, but now was not the time for such musings. He stood, and calmed himself. He slowed his breathing, found his center. Time itself seemed to stand still. Then, in a great gust, he blew out a cloud of silver-white vapor, spreading out before him. He heard a high-piched screech, and a patch of ice formed on what appeared to be nothing. Ian smirked. The creature could conceal itself, but it couldn't affect his ice. Charging forward, he cicked out, catching the cat-like creature in the jaw. The beast was dazed enough to be brought out of it's cloak, showing that it's entire back-right leg was encased in ice. Clutching it on both sides of the jaw, he gave a sharp twist. A loud crack, sounded, and the beast went limp.

The moment the final beast died, the wind stopped. As the sand fell, the creatures' bodies began to glow, then they dissolved into a black mist. Left behind were three glowing orbs. Each orb floated towards the warrior who had killed the beast who had held it.

Before V'kleta, the orb of light took on a deep red color. It flashed, then contracted to take the shape of an amulet. The amulet was carved out of a translucent, blood red material, to resemble a snake wound around a flaming rod.

Before Dhrenzen, the orb became a pure gold. It flashed, then expanded to take the shape of beautifully crafted chain mail. Small currents of energy occasionally arced over it's surface.

Before Ian, the orb took on a shade of silver-blue. It split in half, forming into a pair of gauntlets. The light plate was stitched onto a soft, unknown cloth, covering the forearms nearly to the elbow. The finger guards came up to only the first knuckle.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Cool! Wonder what mine does?))

*V'kleta in Queen mode hisses, then shifts back into Drakotaur form. He takes hold of the amulet and studies it, then places it about his neck. As usual with everything he ever decides to take, the amulet bonds with him, sinking into his flesh and vanishing in a flare of crimson light. V'kleta takes a deep breath and spreads his arms wide and clenches his fists. The portion of his skin where the amulet had been bulges outward, and reforms into the amulet. There...it is done. The amulet is a part of him...now whenever he shifts to another form, it will shift as part of him, as do his weapons and armor...

This task done, he recedes deep within himself to study the new power that courses through his veins. Nothing compared to the full power he possesses, but nevertheless, it will prove useful.

He turns and looks at Ian, then Dhrenzen.*

"Shall we continue?"

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
Ian reached out to take hold of the gauntlets. But, as if they had a mind of their own, the flew onto his hands. The fit loosely for a moment, but instantly tightened and reformed to fit comfortably around Ian's fists.

"I agree. Let us go. But maybe we should wait for Dhrenzen to don his armor, don't you agree, V'kleta?" Ian said absentmindedly as he studied his gauntlets.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*Grumbles...*

"Ah yes, I suppose...be quick about it!"

*Glares at Dhrenzen, who is puzzling over the strange buckles and plates.*

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
Dhrenzen took off his outer shirt and donned the golden chainmail. It then spread out all over his skin, covering all of his body under his outer clothes. Renewed with energy, he walked over and picked up his sword with suprising ease.

"Yes, let us get going. All of the sudden, I search for more enemies blood!"

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
Ian looked at Dhrenzen strangely. Maybe his new armor wasn't good for him...

The party continued through the streets. The sound of shouting became audible. As they moved towards it, it became recognizable. It was the sound of a drill seargent yelling orders. It was coming from behind the walls of one of the more opulent buildings in the town. Walking up to the doors, the party was spotted by a watchman. "You there! Halt and state your business!"

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*V'kleta grins and starts forward, preparing to inform the human that it really doesn't matter what his business is...in a rather forceful way. Ian's arm across his chest blocks his way, however, and V'kleta submits with a grumble...*

"Perhaps it is best if you handle negotiations..."

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
"We are simply traveling mercenaries, in search of work," Ian said simply.

The guard sneered at him. "Mercenaries aren't welcome here. Leave now."

Ian simply smiled. "Who owns these grounds?"

The guard looked back, puzzled. "Lord Tulanth, Wolf of the Highlands. What's it to you?"

"Bring your master out. I wish to speak with him." With this, Ian turned back to his friends. "I can get us in. The Lord Tulanth is a...supplier of sorts. He'll outfit us with whatever we'll need."

A few minutes later, the guard returned. Another head appeared next to his on the wall. The man appeared to be well over sixty, and well off. "Ian! You oversized lizard, how've you been?" he shouted.

"I'd feel much better if you'd teach your guards to recognize a former bodyguard, and if you'd let me and my friends here get some equipment." Ian hoped that, even with the creatures prowling the streets, that the shipments of equipment were still coming in.

"Of course, I'll be right down to let you in!" He turned from the wall and disappeared.

Ian turned to his comrades. "First off. Call him Lord Tulanth until he tells you that you may use his first name. V'kleta, he isn't all that fond of demons, so that may be a while for you. I wouldn't attack him, though. For all your power, I doubt you could get close enough to do anything to him. Second, don't touch anything. He enjoys casting spells on random things, so I don't know what'll explode or not. Third, no matter how beautiful you think his daughter looks, keep your eyes on a decent level. His daughter is more precious to him than anything. Are we clear?"

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
*V'kleta snorts.*

"As if I were afraid of a mortal. I will refrain from attacking him, so long as he does not insult me. If he is to insult me..." *He flicks his tail, the blade on the end flashing.* "...He will quickly find himself without a head. And if I am to call him by his proper name, he shall refer to me by MY title...Lord of the Realm of Darkness."

((That is correct...V'kleta is actually the god of his own personal realm...he doesn't abuse his power, but he has it. He likes to act like a mortal, but he isn't. His inability to die allows him to fight like a vulnerable mortal, without the setbacks. Yes, my character is a god, but announcing this is not godmodding...do not fear. He is a semi-responsible god...just don't let your King or whatever piss him off too much...:D))

Dhrenzen

Member!
Reaction score
"Let us go meet this Lord of men! And if you are such good acquiantinces, you may be able to make up for the demon's pride."

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((No king. He's not mortal though...and I'll just let you stew over that.))

"Fine. Although, I doubt you can walk his halls and conceal your name from him, V'kleta. He's not precisely a king...but he is someone of great importance." He glances at V'kleta's scythe. "He may be interested in a friendly sparring match, though. You may challenge him, but expect to be beaten."

((Sorry, but if you do challenge him, he will beat you. No matter what. It's kind of integral to the story to keep him infallible. I...I mean he would make it worth your while, though, if you manage to give him a good fight...))