Match: Utralisk Vs Archon

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Both full upgrades, and both clicked to attack eachother at the same time. I've done this 5 times, and they kill eachother off at either the same time or one after another. For instance, the archon will use psi wave on ultralisk and it will die, but the blade will make contact, also killing the archon. These two units are the largest units in SC as far as I'm concenred, and very useful as well. What are your thoughts on this?

Ultralisk:
-More life
-No weakness to shield drain
-More armor
-More speed
-A faster attack speed, or slower, depends sometimes.
-Cheaper (I think, two templars is kore then 200M/200G, right?)

Archon:
-More damage
-Splash damage
-Can attack air
-Can support ground only units
-Can have It's shields repaired (Shield Generator)
-Better range

Which do you think would win in a 1v1, and list any advantages I missed. Discuss. :)

Lwek

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Battleforums.com
Archons require less food.
BTW, have you tested it out with 2 Archons vs 2 Ultralisk? Possible 3?

If these 2 units are almost completely equal in stats, then we may have our first well balanced madness map.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Archons require the same food as Ultralisks.

And 1v1 archon vs ultras is different from 2v2, because of the splash damage.

Lwek

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Battleforums.com
TrongaMonga said:
Archons require the same food as Ultralisks.

And 1v1 archon vs ultras is different from 2v2, because of the splash damage.
Well, thats obvious but still, who would win? I no Archons would win in a 5vs5 but what about a 2vs2?

Now the question is, which one(Archon or Ultralisk) is faster to build/morph/get the unit?

ARCHON - Nexus > Probe > Pylon > Gateway > Cybernetics Core > Citadel of Adun > Templar Archives > High Templar > High Templar > Morph

ULTRALISK - Hatchery > Drone > Spawning Pool > Morph Lair > Drone > Queens Nest > Morph Hive > Drone >Ultralisk Cavern

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
meh,i think archons are better because they rape zerg,archon > muta/ling and storm > pretty much anything else the zerg can throw out,so i like archons better

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i think arcons are better since they can attack air and they float over spider mines unlike the ultra BTW u forgot overlords.... u can't make an ultra without an overlord remember

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
1v1? archons cost-effectiveness? archons Sadly, in games ultras come in packs.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
I think the Ultralisk has a faster move speed, which makes it better for an assult, because they can easily run past defenses and hit the minerals. Archons tend to be more of assult/ground support. Send in 10 of em with a few zealots, a few goons, and you have a damn good assulting force. [IMO]

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
With the Upgrade, the Ultralisk is a bigger, meaner zergling as far as I'm concerned. I also beleive Ultralisk builds faster as well. And the fact that Zerg have Hatcheries allow you to pour them out in groups of 12 and 24 (If you have that many resources) Archons would most likely win in a 2v2 standoff, unless the Ultralisks were spaced apaer so no splash would hit them (IE One is on one side of a Archon, the other is on the other side) But I dunno. I will also have to test this now.

A big Archon weakness is EMP. A well placed EMP Vs a large group of Archons makes them a waste even if you have light units attacking them beforeehand. 350 Shields zipped like that. :(

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Darkmatter said:
A big Archon weakness is EMP. A well placed EMP Vs a large group of Archons makes them a waste even if you have light units attacking them beforeehand. 350 Shields zipped like that. :(

Actually, metal is arch's weakness. Vults > archs because archs are mostly shields. And tanks > archs for obvious reasons. EMP is a waste.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Renzokuken said:
30 Archons > 40 Ultralisks. With full upgrades.

We know Renzo, but a 1v1 I'm saying. ;) You're right here, but in a 1v1 they are even. And How could you say Emp is a waste? Emp does 350 damage (Shields max for a Archon) to a Archon, leaving 10 HP. A shot from almost anything can finish them off there. Faster and easier if you ask me. 4 Archons could destroy 12 Vultures easily I'd say, splash and great damage. ;)

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
4 Archons couldn't kill 12 Vults, why? Because of the Vultures speed, they'd just outrun and out micro the Archons, then it's gg.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Micro ultras when they're melee units? right.
Yeah, EMP IS a waste. It doesn't do 350 damage. It just takes shields to zero. EMPing an 10 shield point zealot isn't going to make huge difference. Shields are pretty weak to begin with so I don't see why anyone would bother with that crappy spell.

betaalpha5

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
cuz it drains energy and puts a DA and HT in deeeep ummm booboo

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Yea, but an EMP can instaly make Archons useless, thats what I'm saying. Using it to drain most of the Archons beef, which makes 10 HP look like nothing.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Umm, theorycraft. yum.
It's not like anyone makes archs vs terran. Not because of that crappy EMP spell, either.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
Rines own Archons. Duh.