Mage Armors and builds

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Wishing them, at least. Do check out here (http://ctprofiles.net/4053663) what I feel may very well be the best builds for mages ingame (at least untill TBC get's out), both for PvP and PvE (and different talents as well).

Whaddya think? Any suggestion? Yes, I understand it's very god damn hard to actually have this build, ever :p

I mean, look at the PvP build. One in each five spells is a critical, and if I use Arcane Power, with a Pyroblast level 8, (average around 800), plus 708 (1500 raw damage), crits at about 3000 (I'm taking that a crit doubles the damage). With ignite, it gets more 40% damage, which maximises the spell damage to 4200. Which is one shitload of damage :O

Kills a mana spellcaster instantanealy, if I also use Presence of Mind.

But yeah, you've got to be a no-lifer to get all that :(

Still, could it somehow be improved?

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Personally I favor frost over fire. Chance to freeze on hit, and 60% chance to crit on freeze. Also, very nice survivability for PvE.

Currently my mage is 16. I'll be going 21/0/30 (Here). PoM Frost Mage. ^^;

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Improved Arcane Missile's a bit useless (they're a waste of mana, and not ever worth it with clearcasting). I would go to 2 Arcane subtetly and 3 Arcane Focus instead. But yeah, it's also a good build.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Hmm..ya I didn't think about that. Good point.

I refined the build a bit. Here

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
From that, I'd take two from Winter's Chill (60% chance is still a good chance) and get two on Artic Reach, for those running bastards, and stuff. But then again, 100% is always good ^^

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
From that, I'd take two from Winter's Chill (60% chance is still a good chance) and get two on Artic Reach, for those running bastards, and stuff. But then again, 100% is always good ^^
See what some people don't understand is..why would you need arctic reach for runners if you're freezing them in place? Technically Arctic Reach is used for people that don't know how to play a Frost Mage. >_>;

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Because it can also be a mage who blinks the hell out of Frost Nova. And then runs away, and once you start firing the frost bolt there's always the chance he can get out of the place, for example.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
I fiddled with yours a little bit, Jason. Check here.

I took the 1 point from Arcane Resiliance and put it into Arcane Meditation (for 3/3). Because 50% of intellect into armor will give you like 250 if you had 500 intellect (Which is a shitload of intellect), which is useless, i'd prefer an extra 5% of mana regen.

I also took the 3 points from Piercing Ice to Frost Channeling. I thought your build could use a little more mana management. +6% damage from Frost Spells will give you like 60 damage if Frostbolt does 1000 damage, for example. Which is pretty much useless. So i think the 3 points in Frost Channeling is alot better spent, especially for PvE.

However, i've never played a mage so i'm not very learned, just letting you know my opinion ;)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah, it's also very well thought :)

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
I fiddled with yours a little bit, Jason. Check here.

I took the 1 point from Arcane Resiliance and put it into Arcane Meditation (for 3/3). Because 50% of intellect into armor will give you like 250 if you had 500 intellect (Which is a shitload of intellect), which is useless, i'd prefer an extra 5% of mana regen.

I also took the 3 points from Piercing Ice to Frost Channeling. I thought your build could use a little more mana management. +6% damage from Frost Spells will give you like 60 damage if Frostbolt does 1000 damage, for example. Which is pretty much useless. So i think the 3 points in Frost Channeling is alot better spent, especially for PvE.

However, i've never played a mage so i'm not very learned, just letting you know my opinion ;)

Hmm. Adding 5% extra mana regen gives you 300 more mana regen assuming at 60 you have around 6000 mana which isn't too farfetched. The 50% intellect added to armor comes to around 150 armor assuming at 60 you have around 300 int which also isn't too farfetched. So it all comes down to play style. Honestly frost mages shouldn't need to worry about armor as much as mana because they should never get hit if they can play their class well, but fire mages need the armor more than mana because they can't keep foes away from them as easily.

So all in all you're right for suggesting the Arcane Meditation change.

Now on to the Frost Channeling for Piercing Ice. 15% off of a spell that uses 200 mana to cast only saves you 30 mana. Piercing Ice adds that 6% damage, and adding that to a crit makes the crit even harder in turn causing you less mana anyways because you'll kill things faster. They pretty much even out in terms of use. I personally love as much burst damage as possible, and with frost spells you need more damage than mana conservation.

So refined with all things in consideration I think this build would do well.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah, threat's a bitch. But then again, I do have Evocation, 1500% mana reg for 8 secs.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Frost Channeling also reduces threat generated from frost spells by 30%.
Threat? Ha! Who needs to worry about agro management in PvP? XD

As for PvE..meh. That's what Ice Block is for. >_>;

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Yeah, threat's a bitch. But then again, I do have Evocation, 1500% mana reg for 8 secs.
What does mana regen have to do with threat? Haha.

Threat? Ha! Who needs to worry about agro management in PvP? XD
Well i thought your build was PvE :p

As for PvE..meh. That's what Ice Block is for. >_>;
What's the cooldown on that? Because if it's anything more than a minute (And i hope it is!) i'd suggest putting the points into Frost Channeling.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Well, I can't regen me mana being attacked, so I can frost nova the bastards and use evoc. I do that a lot. But I was talking more about the mana bonus that talent gives, which is useless because I do have evocation.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Mage armor gives 30% mana regen while casting and Arcane Meditation gives you 15%, so yes, you can gain mana while being attacked. And evocation is just another way to gain mana, and you shouldn't rely solely on that, you can't spam it.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I know, 8 minutes cooldown ftl.

But yeah, I could use mana regen. But, for now, I am more concerned about having health, more than mana.

On a side note, I hate Twinks :(

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
What level are you and how much health do you have? coRt has 3.1k hp with most of the Netherwind set so you can't expect to have heaps.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Level 27, I can't log in now but I have nearly 1k, I think. And 2k mana.