Lurker? how many of u use it.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
How many people here use the lurker? i use it in many of my strategy. its like a dt but it has to burrow.

AmericanPsych0

Member!
Reaction score
I use it for defense occasionally. I normally overlook it, though.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
I don't use it much in melee games... but it rocks in UMS games. Man, I miss lurker defense so much. The 5 player one where it was 1v1v1v1v1 was the best... bah, I placed a bid for brood war on ebay... I just can't resist anymore :(

Xel

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
u play broodwar since more people are active on it and ther is more games then normal sc

i rarely use lurkers i dont know y i just dont use em i never use brood war units ither they dont make since

AmericanPsych0

Member!
Reaction score
I'm too forgettful to remember to upgrade my Hyrdalisks to Lurkers. *sweatdrop*

BigTymer[Frog]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraftmaps.tk
yer actually kinda right... Zerg BW units dont help to much... I still like my devs but i could settle fer scourge (allthough u do need like a billion if yer gonna get any damage done), i do REALLY like a couple of lurks around to rape some early rush!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Thats why i have an advantage to most ppl they over look the abilitys of a lurker, or any bw unit. lurkers are good units to drop

AmericanPsych0

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigTymer[Frog]
(allthough u do need like a billion if yer gonna get any damage done)
What the hell are you talking about? Scourges do a whole lot of damage. You don't need "like a billion" to do lots of damage...

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What the hell are you guys talking about?!?

Lurker is one of the BW units that had MAJOR impact on the way Zerg is play!

SOME of the impact of the Lurker :

Other than its EXTREMELY HIGH damage potential which amounts to the ability to WIPE OUT entire ground armies it made certain profound changes to exisiting gameplay...

ZERG VS PROTOSS

-Zerg no longer gets owned by large amount of mixed Protoss non-casting Ground (Zealot + Dragoon + Archon). A group of 6 Lurkers deals TREMENDOUS damage to even 10 Zealots, 10 Dragoons and 4 Archons.

-Protoss non-casting ground no longer can attack with CALCULATED loss. At any one time, they might face up to 12 Lurkers doing 240 damage to every single one of their 20-30+ units.

-Protoss now almost ALWAYS requires casting Ground units in order to beat Zerg due to the damage potential of the Lurker.

-Protoss may now be CONTAINED by Zerg until he finds a solution to the burrowed (*cloaked*) Lurkers outside his base.

ZERG VS TERRAN

-Terran Mass Marine-Only Strategies DO NOT WORK while it was the DEFINITIVE tactic in vanilla Starcraft! 4 Lurkers Counters 30+ Marines!

-Terran infantry drops (and even Tank/Mech drops) can no longer be performed with perfect calculated loss. Drops with detectors are GREATLY slowed due to the fact that they had to Siege and take out your Lurkers first.

-Terran early game contain (offensive bunker + marines/firebats) can now be effectively stopped!

-Terran early game offense can now be effectively stopped!

-Terran mixed Ground no longer owns Zerg mixed Ground!!! It is finally possible for a mix group of Lurkers and Ground units to take out a group of Goliaths/Tanks/Marines/Firebats/Vulture

ZERG VS ZERG

-Zerg VS Zerg is NO LONGER all about Muta/Ling! Hydralisks only openings has always been hindered by the damage potential of the Zerglings. 1-2 Lurkers in the group solves EVERYTHING by eliminating ALL Zerglings attackers in 1-2 attacks!

-Groups of Zerglings can be made easily ineffective in the early-mid, mid and late game!

-More variety if nothing else!

Of course, the Devourer is still crap. :p

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Originally posted by Remiraz
What the hell are you guys talking about?!?

Lurker is one of the BW units that had MAJOR impact on the way Zerg is play!

SOME of the impact of the Lurker :

Other than its EXTREMELY HIGH damage potential which amounts to the ability to WIPE OUT entire ground armies it made certain profound changes to exisiting gameplay...

ZERG VS PROTOSS

-Zerg no longer gets owned by large amount of mixed Protoss non-casting Ground (Zealot + Dragoon + Archon). A group of 6 Lurkers deals TREMENDOUS damage to even 10 Zealots, 10 Dragoons and 4 Archons.

-Protoss non-casting ground no longer can attack with CALCULATED loss. At any one time, they might face up to 12 Lurkers doing 240 damage to every single one of their 20-30+ units.

-Protoss now almost ALWAYS requires casting Ground units in order to beat Zerg due to the damage potential of the Lurker.

-Protoss may now be CONTAINED by Zerg until he finds a solution to the burrowed (*cloaked*) Lurkers outside his base.

ZERG VS TERRAN

-Terran Mass Marine-Only Strategies DO NOT WORK while it was the DEFINITIVE tactic in vanilla Starcraft! 4 Lurkers Counters 30+ Marines!

-Terran infantry drops (and even Tank/Mech drops) can no longer be performed with perfect calculated loss. Drops with detectors are GREATLY slowed due to the fact that they had to Siege and take out your Lurkers first.

-Terran early game contain (offensive bunker + marines/firebats) can now be effectively stopped!

-Terran early game offense can now be effectively stopped!

-Terran mixed Ground no longer owns Zerg mixed Ground!!! It is finally possible for a mix group of Lurkers and Ground units to take out a group of Goliaths/Tanks/Marines/Firebats/Vulture

ZERG VS ZERG

-Zerg VS Zerg is NO LONGER all about Muta/Ling! Hydralisks only openings has always been hindered by the damage potential of the Zerglings. 1-2 Lurkers in the group solves EVERYTHING by eliminating ALL Zerglings attackers in 1-2 attacks!

-Groups of Zerglings can be made easily ineffective in the early-mid, mid and late game!

-More variety if nothing else!

All very good points. But this can be said about any new character... every character has had a big effect on the game in some form or anything. I see your point though. Me personally, I like to use lurkers just as a distraction. I like to take 6 lurkers and spread them out over large area. Most of the time if a guy sends 20-30 dragoons, not only will that 1 lurker hurt them a little bit before they kill it, but it will also distract the player and make him bring a detector out, ect. All that and you only lose 1 lurker! Also, 1 lurker alone can cause damage to zerglings, killing alot of them. Same goes for marines. Putting 12 lurkers together isnt really that smart, cause psi storm will own lurkers.

I like your post though..... long, but good. I'd like to see anyone try and debate now that lurkers aren't having a very large effect on the game heh

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by SkuZZy

All very good points. But this can be said about any new character... every character has had a big effect on the game in some form or anything. I see your point though. Me personally, I like to use lurkers just as a distraction. I like to take 6 lurkers and spread them out over large area. Most of the time if a guy sends 20-30 dragoons, not only will that 1 lurker hurt them a little bit before they kill it, but it will also distract the player and make him bring a detector out, ect. All that and you only lose 1 lurker! Also, 1 lurker alone can cause damage to zerglings, killing alot of them. Same goes for marines. Putting 12 lurkers together isnt really that smart, cause psi storm will own lurkers.

I like your post though..... long, but good. I'd like to see anyone try and debate now that lurkers aren't having a very large effect on the game heh
No offense to you but I'll like to see you write an article on how the Valkyrie has major impact on gameplay.

In other words...i don't agree with you that every unit has a big effect on the game in some form or another.

Valkyrie, small impact yes but huge impact no.

Aris

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i disagree. especially if your playing a game with teammates.

i tend to be the teammate that uses other teammates for initial defense while i'll go with using all resources to making about 2 or 3 presets of Dev's and about 4 or 5 presets of guardians.

once i got manufacturing up, their are very few players that can quickly plan a counterattack to take them all out.

and even if i do lose them. at that point i can usually make a complete preset of guardians/dev's in under 30seconds

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Guardians + Devourers = ownage. You need to have alot of devs though, prob like 12 guardians and 16 devourers. Dev's are kinda useless in a way though... but they are much better than mutas.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Guardians + Devourers = ownage. You need to have alot of devs though, prob like 12 guardians and 16 devourers. Dev's are kinda useless in a way though... but they are much better than mutas.
That will only be true on money maps or when you're playing with newbies.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Aris
i disagree. especially if your playing a game with teammates.

i tend to be the teammate that uses other teammates for initial defense while i'll go with using all resources to making about 2 or 3 presets of Dev's and about 4 or 5 presets of guardians.

once i got manufacturing up, their are very few players that can quickly plan a counterattack to take them all out.

and even if i do lose them. at that point i can usually make a complete preset of guardians/dev's in under 30seconds
That is only true on money maps or when you're playing with newbies.

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
That is only true on money maps or when you're playing with newbies.
Most people play on money maps now-a-days... so that's what most of my comparisons are geared towards.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
If u play maps with terrain (like LT) it is impossible to win a single ZvT or ZvP without using both lurkers, hydras, zerglings, and in late game defilers, ultras and/or guardians.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Most people play on money maps now-a-days... so that's what most of my comparisons are geared towards.
Was there ever any need to even talk about "tactics" and "strategy" when playing brainless money maps?

Starcraft was not made to be played on money map, play the game as it was meant to be played.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
I find money maps boring. No micro, no terrain, no echonomic management and less use of counters...