Looking for a good beginning stratedgy

Jaceofspades

Member!
Reaction score
I just recently got back into Starcraft after playing it 6 months ago. Well I am quite fond of using Protoss, but since I've stopped, I have lost the ability to own almost everything like I used to.

I'm just looking for a good beginning strat to get my feet on the ground in games. Something so I can survive the first few waves they send out. I don't verse many people except some frineds.

I do mostly computer so. I'm just looking for a stratedgy to get a good defense and a slightly good offense. I mostly verse PVZ, and sometimes PVT. So a PVZ beginning stratedgy would be greatly apprieciated. Sorry if there is a guide or strat out and I didn't search well enough.

So thanks ahead of time as well as sorry if there is already a good start out there.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok, I'm assuming you mean non-money.

You basically start off with zealot rushes.
10 gate
12 gate

At the beginning stage, it should be rather easy. Most zergs will overreact and make a bunch of sunkens. If not, then you'll be fine if you micro well and don't lose any zealots.

From here, you can tech to storm or archons vs mutas.(storm is pretty bad vs mutas as they can dodge it) Few cannons(2-3) at mineral line. Make one dt and cannon expand.

Get range and obs for the inevitable lurker contain. Get sight ups for obs and place them in a way that you can see the lurkers, but the overlords can't see your obs.(it's very important you PROTECT your observers)

If all goes well(i.e. you break out contain before he gets ultra/ling), then the rest of the game should be easy. Make sure you upgrade your units and macro taking out his expansions.

If all doesn't go well(and usually it doesn't), then you've got your work cut out for you. Zeal/Temp/Archon can take on Ultra/Ling, but he's gonna keep sending them in waves and waves until he:

A: wears you down
B: runs out of gas, in which case he'll just flood you with cracklings.

If you can get yourself a third gas really fast, the game is won. As he won't be able to contain with all the gas you have and you can macro like a bitch.

This is all for pvz.

There are other strats, but I'll get into those later.

Jaceofspades

Member!
Reaction score
Alright, I'll try that and it sounds good. If you feel like giving other strats like you said above, then go right ahead. I'll occupy myself with this one until you give another one, if you do. Thanks though.

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ok

There quick sair tech into dt.
This allows you to scout zerg base and thus react appropiately.(Either way set yourself up to expand) You can score an ovie kill or 2. With this strat(sair/dt), you can gain an earlier expansion. From here, it depends on what zerg does. They usually expand some more since you didn't put any pressure on them.

There's fast expanding.(i.e. forge first)
From here there are a variety of things you can do:
-Sair/reaver into carriers and disruption web.
Expand whenever appropiate
-Make several gateways, get speed, storm, range,etc and macro.
Expand some more while doing this.(whenever it's appropiate)

There's also proxy gate rushing
Unfortunately this dies to quick pool builds otherwise it would straight up win you the game.

Xecutor

Member!
Reaction score
Phoenix2003 said:
At the beginning stage, it should be rather easy. Most zergs will overreact and make a bunch of sunkens. If not, then you'll be fine if you micro well and don't lose any zealots.
I agree with all else you said except this; unless the distance between the 2 mains is short, they will not go sunken crazy. Usually the first sunk or 2 and 3hatch lings are sufficient to cause you to run back.

However, keeping up the pressure is important. Always find ways to attack/feint attacking to find out what he is planning. Usually if zerg is sunkening hard means they are teching hard.

Usually, from my experience, when their ling count is lower (with like 3 sunks) than usual from 3 hatches, they are prolly going lurk and the tell-tale hydra here and there would confirm that suspicion. If there are only lings defending and the number is slightly higher, they are going muta most likely.
Get storm or archs depending on that "fishing" expedition. Also, once you are able to assure that zerg is teching and not being too aggressive yet, you can cannon expo and tech to obs immediately after, and if you're still not sure about his tech, get an obs in his main to find out.

Usually, by that time, they are going to attack, but since you've prepared, you can handle it with the appropriate micro, but DON'T EVER lose your nat expo that early.

Also, as soon as you have a decent army size and have weathered their first harass/contain attempt. Immediately hunt for his expos and tear em down. Once your attack is successful expand and pump more units (zeal/arch/temp) and keep scouting every resource node. Have a few obs close to the paths zerg can flank, or at his choke to know when to & where to move your army. As long as you can maintain equal expos or more with zerg, you should be fine, but be wary of his tech changes.

If he is able to switch to Ultra/crack, get zeal/arch immediately with some DT. Also, if you have the skill to use DA's get one or two. Sometimes even large amounts of zeal/arch/temp have a tough time with 5/3 Ultra/cracklings...
Shield upps are a must!

Hope this helps!

Xecutor

Member!
Reaction score
However, in close-quarters PvP, that rule does not work. Zealot wars just overide the defense/defuse part, it's just the destroy part that is applicable. If you're using a tech build, and the build goes on without a hitch and you reach reav-tech in spite of his 2gate zeals, then the defuse notion may apply, otherwise not really.

EDIT:I have a question: Do you play moneymaps? Because those 3 "d" s you mention may work for maps like Fastest only. On any other map type esp on limited money, concentrating on defense initially is not a good idea since you need to be aggressive to the point where your opponent will have to react to you, instead of the other way round.
Being on the offense would prevent him from going on the offense and thus eliminate your need for defense.

In early PvZ the play can be really aggressive on both sides. Usually when faced with this situation, always have a couple of zeals holding your ramp to prevent them from reaching your probes while the majority of your force either defends your choke or attacks his to harass, and scout the zerg tech tree. If zerg went muta to try to overpower you while your early endeavors to tech and expand are still fragile, being prepared and having that archon ready to take them on will be the best defense you can get with a couple of cannons and +1 ups for your ground units (zeals) to kill lings in 2 hits instead of 3 will help you survive. Had you gone cannons early on, zerg would have used speed hydra ling while teching to lurks to kill you...PvZ is based on a very fine balance of advantage - it could change sides fairly quickly.