Leaked words regarding a new Starcraft game in 2008?

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
While looking at stuff for World of Warcraft's expansion, The Burning Crusade, I came across this:

Blizzard hints at new StarCraft by 2008
By Tom Orry - 15/01/2007 - 11:29pm GMT

At a WoW: The Burning Crusade launch event, Blizzard's VP of Business Development hints at the next instalment in the StarCraft series.

Blizzard fans were out in force in London tonight, celebrating the launch of the much anticipated World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade expansion, but another Blizzard game might have stolen the limelight.

Itzik Ben Bassat, Vice President Business Development and International for Blizzard Entertainment, took the stage at HMV Oxford Street, London, and said some rather revealing words.

"I'm a StarCraft player myself and I hope it's not a decade, and we launched StarCraft in 1998, before I'm standing here again, celebrating the next game in the series," stated Bassat while on stage.

So, while not an official date for the next game in the StarCraft series, a new game by 2008 looks very likely. We'll keep our ear to the ground for more info.

Earlier today Blizzard game designer Jonathan LeCraft revealed to Pro-G that Blizzard has no plans to bring its hit MMO World of Warcraft to consoles.​

Source: Blizzard hints at new StarCraft by 2008, Pro-G, January 15, 2007

Comments?*

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
My heart skipped several times after seeing this!

That's pretty intense stuff there. Although there have been a lot of rumors years ago it looks like the flame has been relight! I hope this creates more activity in the SC community. Its been and dead-steady for a long time now. IF Blizzard is going to release a new SC game they have one thing to consider. HALO WARS. =\

I will be on this. Give me a few days in the archives...

P.S. Omg I'm excited! If this turns out to be true I'll be ALL on this like SC:G

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
If they make a new starcraft game I am going to be FORCED TO BUY IT AND PLAY IT FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

Firebat

Member!
Reaction score
I doubt its gonna be starcraft 2, i think it'll be something else.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
That's nothing. It's just him saying that he hopes, as a SC player, that he hopes he has some kind of news on a new game before it's decade.

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
Im a warcraft player but Ive played both SC and BW and if they make SC2 with the same control as in warcraft, a more like war3 ladder and units micro , also with the same or even advanced map editorim moving to it. I hope if SC2 is real they make it as long lasting as war3 is with all tournaments, ladder etc. as you know war3 has more popularity than SC.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
You should have posted the entire quote. Wingzero got it right.
READ HERE: FULL QUOTE
Reading the full quote is a bit depressing in a few ways.

Theory Timewith Dr. Bret
  • You could see it as he's just stating he wants to be around when Blizzard releases new titles in the Diablo and SC series. Maybe he's getting fired.
  • He DID indeed slip up with a cute little phrase to hopefully cover it up.
    "and what I can tell you is that I look forward to stand here in a few years, or whenever it's going to be,..."
  • Another key note he did mention. Which I believe is a rather big one. He noted 'decade'. Could there be an anniversary, a 10th year hot spot? When is this date? None other than, April 1st 2008.

However, there is some bad news. When has Blizzard EVER produced a game in VERY tight wraps? Yes, the release information maybe tight, but to produce a game and no leakage? IDK. I think we are more looking at a annoucement than anything else.
I will keep my eyes open.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
However, there is some bad news. When has Blizzard EVER produced a game in VERY tight wraps? Yes, the release information maybe tight, but to produce a game and no leakage? IDK. I think we are more looking at a annoucement than anything else.
I will keep my eyes open.
I'll give you a list;

Diablo II
Starcraft: Ghost
World of Warcraft
Warcraft III

I could probably go on, but that would be making you look foolish. All those games were really tight under secrecy until Blizzard wanted information about them released.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
No, it's not. NOTHING was leaked about SC:G, WoW, WC3 or D2 before Blizzard wanted any information sent.

Remember the countdown to the announcement of SC:G? No one had a ****ing CLUE when they announced it. When they announced World of Warcraft everyone was like "WHAT THE ****, WE JUST GOT A WARCRAFT GAME AND NOW WERE GETTING ANOTHER ONE?" About a month later people were going "WTF ITS AN MMO P2P?!!"

Seriously, go do some research. There wasn't a HINT of outside evidence that Blizzard was working on any of the games I mentioned until they said "Hey, we're working on this or this" or "heres some concept / ingame images of so and so".

ARguable my ass.

Zmoney

Reaction score
I dunno why they have to be so secretive.

Taligaro

Furyan Merc
Reaction score
I don't know guys. I don't trust Blizzard anymore. First they give us hardcore SC fans a new game to wait for, then they cancel it. They really ****ed up their SC fan base by doing that by the way.

So for me, I'm going to wait until I see a new StarCraft or Diablo title on BestBuy shelves before I get excited! Not just some pre-order crap either. Only when I see a FULL game for a new SC or Diablo at BestBuy will I have faith in Blizzard again. Until that day, Blizzard can kiss my ass!

omr1337

Reaction score
Well said! i agree!

PauseBreak

Reaction score
Yeah, to cancel SCG was a BIG -1 for them.

T3h Sorrow

"Best ***s on the forum"
Reaction score
god damn! they dropped SCG? i was waiting for that god damn game!

T3h Sorrow

"Best ***s on the forum"
Reaction score
i thought they said something about it like a year ago it was still in progress..... that blows.... blows like wind on a windmill.