Lag in steam

F

fawk

for some reasons my cs really lag after i reformated my comp a few days ago. Anyone experiencing lag in cs?...when i look at the server list the the ping is like 23 but in that game my ping goes up to 123 then back to 70 then back to 100 zone.

aphextwin

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
ive noticed it on cs15.... but not on 16 :\ maybe the servers u go into fux up when they see you ;P

Korittke

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
the shit with steam is that the ping you see in the server list is not the ping from your comp, its pinged by a global pinger from what i know. often i search for servers <50 ping and theyre like in france and thats some thousands kilometers away so my ping is sometimes like 80 when it says 30 in the server list. actually it would make a lot more sense if they made an upgrade where you can not only choose the continent but the exact country you want your server to be/not to be from.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
I don't think it's global... the list shows me pings of 200+ in most European servers. Jumpy ping across multiple servers is likely a faulty connection... it might improve if you update your modem's drivers (if it has any, they might have been lost during your reformat). Also, you might want to try setting rate 25000, cl_cmdrate 100, and cl_updaterate 40 via console to see if your ping stabilizes at all.

Of course, make sure that the server you're connecting to isn't causing the problem. Ping is basically a measure of distance if you have broadband, meaning the closer the server, the better your ping; if the server is close, your ping will be more stable. Try sorting your server list by ping.

KillerMe

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.alm.web1000.com
Ya the same thing happened for me. I uninstalled some programs from my computer. Also, Try disconnecting from the network (Pull cable box/router out), then plug them back in 30+ seconds later.