Ladder or Custom? That is the question

Ladder or Custom?

• Ladder, time to go level 40

Votes: 12 41.4%
  • Custom Games, whats the site for DOTA again?

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Bit of Both.

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • I dont play Warcraft, SC/WoW/D2 rules!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Dream_Walker

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
~Closed.
~Warned.

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
I am continuing this thread, this topic can still be discussed.

None293823

Premium Member
Reaction score
You need years of trainig to be good. Andf what's more you need to have made a high lvl through this yearrs , not to have beaten noobd all that time. Like i havent done so and it is like i havent playd from 2004 but from 2005-2006.

*Turok

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
btw custom games also counts as soloing but on a good host in a custom game.....

ChrisH36

Reaction score
You can always rely on a person like me to help you host games if you wish.

*Turok

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Yeh Thanks :) AnyHow Im PLaying On The GG-Client Atm If You Guys Know What It Is :).

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
A mix of both. I'm level 16 or so on West as far as ladder goes and I love playing custom games like footmen frenzy, hero line wars, baseball, illidans 7, etc. The key is to balance them so if you're mad/dissatisfied with one, you go to the other. :D

luthien

Reaction score
To be quite honest, custom games only (when I did play FT, now I have to rebuy the game, I think). Not to say I'm horrible at ladder, but I just find ladder games particularly boring. I mean it's the same routine, build base, hero, kill (I'll probably get bashed for bashing ladder). I know there is strategy and it's not the same every game, but there is always the "golden" routine in certain conditions you basically follow. I will play a ladder game once in a while and keep going till I lose (usually takes about 4 games for that to happen on a 1v1 basis but I am low level, so higher percentage wins are probable).

The Custom game - what a wonderful idea thought up by blizzard, I remember I used to play the "10 Way Defence" on StarCraft: BroodWar. I had lots of fun, and when Warcraft III custom games came out, it was like a whole new game altogether.

Derived from the custom maps came out all sorts of RPG's, TD's, Castle D's, Hero D's, Hero Arena's, Sheep tags, and many other games which branch out. That is probably why I've always played FT on a off for about three years now, I remember playing X Hero Seige 3.12 and being addicted. Or Enfo's Team Survival (I think I enjoyed Hero Defense more than anything, although I like Vampirism and Tower Defences).

Final thought - I am anxious to see new ideas which can be produced by the fantastic World Map Editor, I would try to make one, but I honestly don't have time because it it not easy to create an map which audiences will mostly enjoy. :p

Luthien

ChrisH36

Reaction score
luthien said:
Final thought - I am anxious to see new ideas which can be produced by the fantastic World Map Editor, I would try to make one, but I honestly don't have time because it it not easy to create an map which audiences will mostly enjoy. :p
Quite simply, triggering is the only difficult aspect of the map. If you begin to play around the Object Editor and how to edit spells, doing that half of the map making isn't hard.

Right now, I am working on a footmen frenzy using Northrend Tileset. I made the terrian in about 30 minutes and the heroes and units aren't hard to model or anything, just balancing the stats is annoying.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Yeah, if you have a basic tutorial on JASS scripting, then you would be fine at it :).

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Which is why you leave the mapmaking to the professionals :).

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Depends on the mapmaker, sometimes they have really shit ideas and don't make a great map. Other times, they do such a good job that its playable.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
Like Frenzy. :O
Well, HatoUP isn't creative enough to consider himself to be a real "mapmaker".

_JaKE

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
first account:

evilarthas04 : 272-308

new ud account :

bujk. : 6-6