"Kuwabara Kuwabara" MGS3 Question.

Biske

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone knows the answer to this, but why in Snake Eater does Volgin on two or so occasions say "Kuwabara Kuwabara"? He said it like a good luck charm, or something...never got that...wonderin if anyone else did?

Jimbo

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I always assumed kuwabara was something in another language, never thought too much of it.

B)ushid(o

Reaction score
I think it had something to do with lightning. I don't remember what, though.

Edit: Errr... close.

http://kitombo.com/e/mikami/0218.html

...means mulberry field. Considering its meaning, it can also be read "Kuwabata".

This traces back to the Chinese Legend. In the folk beliefs of China, thunders never strike mulberry field. Therefore, people believed that one can save oneself from getting struck by thunder by reciting "Kuwabara Kuwabara".

Then why does thunder never strike mulberry field? The reason is none other than the mulberry field being something special. In Chinese legend, there were two giant mulberry trees that were called Fuso . The sun we see rises to the sky through this Fuso. In this respect, Fuso is the symbol of Sun. On the other hand, thunders are lightning storms that are antithetical to the sun that brings fair weather. Fuso, in other words, mulberry is, so to say, the arch-foe of thunder. Therefore, thunders would never hit mulberry fields.

Biske

Reaction score
Thank you! It makes more sence now. Glad someone knew what it meant.