Keep geting dropped

imHELLAnorcal

Reaction score
i keep getting dropped when playing on battle net. It Ssddenly just happens when i'm in games, but instead of kicking me off battle net i am just kicked back into the channel. My games usually last 11-17 minutes before i get dropped. I already un installed and reinstalled the game many times and downloaded the patch from the website. I have upgraded the firmware on my router and open the ports. I have ran virus/spyware scans and i have formated my computer. but the problem still happens. i have also changed my network cables. someone please HELP!!

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Shame I didn't see this any sooner. My only thought is trying to do a constant ping to your ISP's gateway server.

If you don't know how to check what your ISP's gateway server IP address is, try the following:
Go to Start > Run > Type: cmd <enter>
Type:
Code:
ping google.com -t
(Replace "google.com" with the IP of your ISP's gateway server if you do have it)

This will make your computer constantly send a ping to google until you hit <ctrl>+C. Leave this running in the background while you try to get a StarCraft game going, and whenever you get d/c'd again, check your ping logs in this window. If you start getting "Request timed out" errors, than something's freaking out while you're in game. It could be a problem with your NIC, or a number of things. If you have issues with connecting to websites, and at other random times (not JUST when you're on Starcraft), than it could be signs of a problem with your Internet Service Provider.

This isn't going to be as effective as finding what the IP address of your ISP's gateway IP address is, but it's sort of the fool-proof way of testing your internet connection.

You also said you changed your network cables. Do you mean the cables running from your modem to your router? Are you also hardwired from your router to your computer? Or are you running a wireless network from there?

Wireless can be an issue, especially if you have interference in your house.

Additionally, if you're on something like DSL, and on a fringe neighborhood of service, it's likely you have an unstable connection. I had some issues with maintaining constant connectivity until I switched to FiOS.

Hope this helps.

imHELLAnorcal

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, however i am still getting dropped in games. I am connected directly to the router and when i pinged the ISP, all packets were received and nothing was lost, but i still was dropped. I then connected my comcast cable modem directly to my computer and had it pinging again in the back ground while i played starcraft. I still get dropped and even though all packets were sent and received.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Honestly the only other thing I can think of for something like that is malware, otherwise you've got me completely baffled. I could jump on the "it's something wrong with your ISP" bandwagon, but they'll most likely say if it's only happening with Starcraft, than it's an issue with Blizzard games.

One main point I didn't mention is whether you're running any third party program while you're playing Starcraft. Are you using stuff like Oblivion or PenguinPlug? Or have you uninstalled it since your most recent reformat? Might not be completely off your system.

imHELLAnorcal

Reaction score
I used to have zonealarm, but i uninstalled it. how do i know if a third party program is completely off my hard drive? i received this hard drive from my cousin so i'm not sure if he installed any third party programs on here.

L

Laharl

It would help if you told us exactly what your ISP is. Many ISP's, such as comcast, have a reputation for having problems connecting to Battle.net on Blizzard-made games.

In fact (correct me if I'm wrong on this one), it has been announced by comcast themselves that they have this "problem".

CerebralChain

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
If you play any other online games, do this happen when you're playing them, too? Or is it just SC?

imHELLAnorcal

Reaction score
I do play other online games, but only starcraft drops me. Its weird because when i play starcraft on my laptop i never get dropped.