Just some stuff

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
" Currently - while in a party each player will see their own drops from each kill.

This could mean that after killing a zombie I see a sword drop, and you may see a shoulder slot item drop. Or I see nothing drop, while you got an axe.

Obviously while in a group you're killing faster, and this could translate to an exponentially increasing number of drops with each additional player in your party. However, it's balanced in such a way that the drop % is pulled back a bit with each additional player (I'm simplifying it, but that's what it boils down to). This keeps it from being almost detrimental to not play with a full party, while still giving a nice increase to the amount of drops if you do.

From this system it seems quite a few people got the impression that you'll never see items drop that you can't use. For instance, a Barbarian will never see a dagger that only a Witch Doctor can use. This isn't true. There is no effect, or at least no currently intended effect, to restrict which items which classes can or can't see for their respective drops. It's still intended that you could see an item that your class can't use. It's easy enough to drop the item, ask if anyone can use it, or just sell it off of course."

====

" The health globes are actually, in my opinion, really cool. Playing the game and actually seeing what types of strategy they encourage, you can start to see what they add and how they make the combat more interesting.

I'll set the scene. You're a barbarian, you're in the wilderness and after fighting wave after wave of ghouls, skeletons, demons, what have you, you're low on health. You're out of potions, and after using a strategic leap out of the fray you turn around and seismic slam the skeletons charging you. Two of them drop health globes, but the globes dropped behind the skeletons that are still advancing. If they reach you, you're not going to survive. Are you able to leap safely to snag the globes before they can tear into you? Can you throw out another slam and try to remove the remaining enemies? How can you survive? You have a fraction of a second to decide.

The health globes help to create situations just like this, where you're not just sitting there spamming potions, you're using your abilities and strategy to stay alive. Possibly most importantly, you're encouraged to keep fighting, and not just run away.

With random spawns, random drops, and of course the randomness of combat, the health globes add to creating situations that are just more... interesting, and in my opinion, fun.

On the side of potions, they still exist, but they're likely to be on a cooldown of some type. They'll also likely restore health based on a percentage that's relative to your character. They may heal an instant amount, they may be the old over time type system. They're probably going to be filling an emergency-heal role more than anything though.

===

There are random elements in almost every aspect of combat, so if you think that your success or failure is based purely on skill then you're incorrect.

There are usually ways to make that randomness have a smaller and smaller effect though, whatever it may be. I don't suspect it will be any different with the constant struggle between taking damage and replenishing health.

===

"Not that classes won't benefit from each other in various ways, Barbarian shouts being good party buffs, etc. but every class is essentially a demon-killing DPS class. We have no intentions to create a tank, or healer, etc. Every class will play their own way, and while some may take direct hits easier than others, it certainly wouldn't define their role within a party. Everyone should be kicking in heads at the same time.

Diablo III having a strong emphasis on cooperative play is really building upon one of the best parts of Diablo II, and that's charging through dungeons with other people. Our focus is on removing the frustrations that existed with grouping, and adding new features that encourage everyone to stick together and fight as a party.

"

===

Diablo is a trading game, and we have no plans to change that. We don't have any inclination to make items bind to a character, or otherwise remove trading opportunities.

Will there be absolutely no items that will be bound to a character? It isn't possible to say with any certainty at this point, there might be.

===

Yeah, as others have said the current intent to encourage cooperative play (in regards to health globes) is to ensure that they heal everyone in the party when picked up.

But in any case, why wouldn't the witch doctor be using any of his abilities? Mass confuse, and while everything is busy wailing on each other or attacking your mongrels you sneak in. Or horrify, and while they're scattered you snag some health.

The witch doctor is a little sneakier though, a little more frail, a little more of a "I'm gonna make you die or kill your friend while I'm all the way over here". You should probably be doing everything you can to avoid being hit, and you have the tools to do so.

Do bosses drop health globes in combat?
Maybe? Maybe not. Maybe there are other situational/environmental mechanics that would, or would provide assistance in healing up?

Classes will have abilities to help them work through groups of monsters. Obviously health globes are going to be necessary to pick up, and obviously class abilities will exist to help you do so.

Well, it's not like there's a hard cap on what a loot table can contain being forced upon us, or that health globes are even associated with loot drops. It can be balanced any way we see fit.

Bottom line, is that we're simply not going to release a game that is irritating, slow, aggravating, boring, or any of the other adjectives you used. If that means ripping out the health globe system and going a different direction, so be it, but at current it plays and feels fun and engaging."

http://www.battle.net/forums/board.aspx?ForumName=d3-general

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Lol a game that isn't boring? Diablo II was boring as **** once you went through the gameplay story once, it was all a repitive boring grind to get gears.

Never was hard either. imo whatever

kamille

Senshi
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Pan for this information.

Lol a game that isn't boring? Diablo II was boring as **** once you went through the gameplay story once, it was all a repitive boring grind to get gears.

Obviously you never had the guts or will to try hardcore mode.
Because thats where the real feeling/fear was.
That's where people helped each other out and strong parties where build.
Where you started a lvl 85 char over to tweak it even more.
Hell on hardcore, that's where the real fun was, even after the 10.000th time in 5 years.

I so hope that D3 will have a hardcore mode. Any information on that ?

torrid mind

Diablo Forum ******
Reaction score
It was said their reply was, "why not?"

Nice pan. I love the fact that each player will get his/her own drop.

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score

personally i played for the duels...nothing beats D2 dueling. neve rknow if it will be against someone legit, someone hacking, someone good, someoen noob, and you couldnt run THROUGH the enemy </Stab@Wow>

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
So why did everyone play it?
Because it's incredibly addicting. The constant grind to get those items with like a .02% chance of dropping without needing to sit in a raid for 8 hours with 9+ other people.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
Because it's incredibly addicting. The constant grind to get those items with like a .02% chance of dropping without needing to sit in a raid for 8 hours with 9+ other people.
Zod had a 1 in 3million chance of dropping off hell baal. :cussing:

I'm liking the idea that each person gets their own drops, that will at least eliminate pickit problems, which sucked really bad when you can't even see the drops they are picked up so fast.

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Obviously you never had the guts or will to try hardcore mode.Because thats where the real feeling/fear was.

I <3 kamille;) Are you still playing HC?

From Jay's Wilson (Diablo 3 lead designer) interview at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational:

Q: Will there be hardcore mode in Diablo III?
Jay Wilson: I don't see why we wouldn't. That decision is made towards the end of development, we might not, but we probably will.

@Pan: You are a very good reporter (but you are rarely on MSN;))

kamille

Senshi
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I <3 kamille;) Are you still playing HC?

From Jay's Wilson (Diablo 3 lead designer) interview at the Blizzard Worldwide Invitational:

Q: Will there be hardcore mode in Diablo III?
Jay Wilson: I don't see why we wouldn't. That decision is made towards the end of development, we might not, but we probably will.
:hurray: Wow that's great, now i can enjoy the wait, thanks for this post. :hurray:

And uh, oh you kinda got me there, I stopped playing d2 all in all, after my lvl 95 1/2 telesorc died in a horrible lag while being alone in an overcrowed throne room. You know, when sometimes there are like 3 times more mobs then normal.
This was when i realized i had reach a level where i could beat D2 easily, but not the lag.

Telia sucked hard these times. I hope that will be better with D3

kamille

Senshi
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So what's hardcore? You die and lose all your stuff?
This is what someone [Nevom_Black] wrote at the battle.net forums about hardcore mode. It describes it perfectly:

There are two types of Diablo players in this world, ether you're a hard core player or you're not.

I personally like to sweat buckets at a time knowing that in any second all that I've worked for could be taken away from me in an instant. I like the feeling of not being able to let go of you're mouse because you're hand simply refuses to open. I like to hear my pulse BANG in my ears as a mob emerges from seemingly out of no where. I like that shaky gripping feeling of death reaching out of my monitor and clinching my heart. I love to hear the sound of someone going hostile after day 92, and in it that split second the high pitched squeal emanating from the skull and bones icon on the top of the screen, stares in the depths of you're soul affecting every fiber of you're consciousness. Granting you that rush of adrenalin that shoots threw you're body so fast it feels like you've been hit by lighting. Only three things at this point in time can possibly cross you're mind Flee, Fight or Faint?

I owned and played every game blizzard has ever come out with. And nothing gives me a rush like the Hardcore mode in Diablo.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sounds like an addiction? well it is :D

Technically your char stays dead forever, once you reached 0 HP. You're stuff, well at least the gear you had with you, can be looted by your party, if you didn't forget to turn on loot, that is.

:hxc hardcore until death; hardcore forever :hxc

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Excellent quote, miss camille;) Nothing can make you feel the way HC does.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
Thanks Pan for this information.

Obviously you never had the guts or will to try hardcore mode.
Because thats where the real feeling/fear was.
That's where people helped each other out and strong parties where build.
Where you started a lvl 85 char over to tweak it even more.
Hell on hardcore, that's where the real fun was, even after the 10.000th time in 5 years.

I had a 93 Lightning Sorc on Hxc right before i quit the game for the 'final time'. Didn't feel like grinding the same cow levels over and over and over for another lvl 99, hardcore or not.

Sorry, but in a game where once you get said HC character to around 30 you get the automatic responce to esc-enter-enter (leaves games, for those that don't know) when they're about to die, there isn't much of a "challenge".

And the fact that you could potentially lose the character because of a lag spike is ****ing retarded. I saw too mayn of my buddies get lag spikes or their internet drop and their character die over it. That's stupid. Hardcore doesn't make you a better player or anything, just means you took a character to whateverlevel without ever dying. It's not like the games any harder by any means.

kamille

Senshi
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sorry, but in a game where once you get said HC character to around 30 you get the automatic responce to esc-enter-enter (leaves games, for those that don't know) when they're about to die, there isn't much of a "challenge".

And the fact that you could potentially lose the character because of a lag spike is ****ing retarded. I saw too mayn of my buddies get lag spikes or their internet drop and their character die over it. That's stupid. Hardcore doesn't make you a better player or anything, just means you took a character to whateverlevel without ever dying. It's not like the games any harder by any means.
OK granted. The game itself isn't really harder to play.
But I still think it's more challenging, because of the "pressure" you feel. See the qoute i posted above.
That and the fact that once you reached Hell on HC you are most likely only to meet serious players, and not these "GIMME ITAAAAMMMM" and noobish kinda guys.

And well, if actually a noob appears, most of the times it's fun like:
Noob: can you give me wp XX?
Me: Yes but be careful there are some mobs around !
[me inviting him and making TP actually directly beside the WP]
[Noob comes takes the WP, makes 2 steps in the wrong direction and got hit by a soul lightning]
[Player BigNoob has been slain]
Me: Damn i told you. what's your light res ?
Noob: Like -50 ?!?
Party: Big LOL

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
OK granted. The game itself isn't really harder to play.
But I still think it's more challenging, because of the "pressure" you feel. See the qoute i posted above.
That and the fact that once you reached Hell on HC you are most likely only to meet serious players, and not these "GIMME ITAAAAMMMM" and noobish kinda guys.

And well, if actually a noob appears, most of the times it's fun like:
Noob: can you give me wp XX?
Me: Yes but be careful there are some mobs around !
[me inviting him and making TP actually directly beside the WP]
[Noob comes takes the WP, makes 2 steps in the wrong direction and got hit by a soul lightning]
[Player BigNoob has been slain]
Me: Damn i told you. what's your light res ?
Noob: Like -50 ?!?
Party: Big LOL

lol...

i tried playin HC for a while, made like 3 sorces (one after another due to death) woudl get to like lvl 78 and pindle would pwn my ass one way or another.

the last time i played HCC i quit because i was like 78, made a game and my bud came in and was like "Cmon man lets go" right as i was running to pindle portal, we had somewheres to go but i just HAD to do that last run

me: "Okay, just this last run"
*Pindle explodes upon dieing, taking me with him*
me: "..."
him: "..."
me: "... GOD ****ING DAMNIT ARE YOU ****ING SEIROUS!?!"