Is anyone getting good money out of the RMAH?

dexterlablab1

Member!
Reaction score
There are some people that simply love the game. But there are others that are playing purely for the sake of making money with it.

Is anyone here one of the people making decent profit from it? Even after Blizzard takes their cut.

fred87nc

Member!
Reaction score
Any money coming out of playing a video game is very welcomed. I havent made anything yet because Im still level 38, trying to get to 60 so I have a better chance at getting good loot.

I do have some friends that have been making big money since the game came out, you cant make as much anymore, but in the first few weeks, they were making $300 dollars a day, and a lot were finding leet items and that were selling for $250 on the RMAH.

Snrm

Gaming since 1993
Reaction score
Any money coming out of playing a video game is very welcomed. I havent made anything yet because Im still level 38, trying to get to 60 so I have a better chance at getting good loot.

I do have some friends that have been making big money since the game came out, you cant make as much anymore, but in the first few weeks, they were making $300 dollars a day, and a lot were finding leet items and that were selling for $250 on the RMAH.
I can't believe someone was making $300 a day from the RMAH! I have only made about $2.00 on my Paypal from the RMAH. Blizzard takes so much money away when you sell equipment cheap that it is impossible to make a profit! Blizzard is so greedy that they didn't even bother to make a deal with Paypal so users wouldn't be penalized another 15% for going with Paypal. If a lot of transactions are being made from just one site to Paypal, the company can workout a cheap deal with them to insure that users don't get smashed with a 15% penalty.
I have given up on the RMAH due to all the bots ruining it and making the prices of things so cheap. Once commodity auctions are up I bet the price for 1 million gold is going to be in the range of just $1 because of all the bots!

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
I did try to sell gold at first. In incriments ranging from 1 mil to 100 mil at a time. After waiting for days and trying different prices, I just sold it on a forum for USD. Why waste time and lose cuts? RMAH is horrible.

Grimnir

Reaction score
So far I've only made a few dollars (under $10, honestly). It seems 90% of the time when I put an item up, it just sits there and doesn't end up selling. Is the market currently just flooded with people trying to sell for a quick profit?

I agree with Snrm, Blizzard takes a good portion of money from each transaction when you consider most things are only selling for a couple of dollars! I understand that they need/deserve a cut, but I wish it was a percentage instead of a flat fee. If I'm being charged almost $1 per transaction, I'm not going to bother wanting to sell something for $2.

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
So far I've only made a few dollars (under $10, honestly). It seems 90% of the time when I put an item up, it just sits there and doesn't end up selling. Is the market currently just flooded with people trying to sell for a quick profit?

I agree with Snrm, Blizzard takes a good portion of money from each transaction when you consider most things are only selling for a couple of dollars! I understand that they need/deserve a cut, but I wish it was a percentage instead of a flat fee. If I'm being charged almost $1 per transaction, I'm not going to bother wanting to sell something for $2.
You know, I wouldn't mind their portion being taken out as much, if things SOLD more often. They created a very strange system. Here's what I mean, try this:

1. Look at AH prices (say they are $3.30 per million to buy)
2. Set 1 million gold at $2.50 (the lowest allowed)
3. Check back at the AH
4. It's not sold, AND, you can't buy any for $3.30

What is with that???

alighieri00

Reaction score
I always fancied the idea of selling commodities on the RMAH: Essences, BS plans, etc. I reasoned that these are the sorts of things that everybody wants and is always in demand. Further, Blizz takes an actual % cut from commodities, as opposed to the 1$ flat fee. So when commodities finally popped I was all ready to sell my stuff. I figured essences would probably go for 10 cents each or maybe even cheaper. I open up the window, type in 10 cents and... you can't sell em for less than 25 cents per. Who is going to pay that?? Some of the high end crafting recipes take 50-75 essences! That's... a lot of money. So much for that idea....

JoshTheBoss

Reaction score
Who is going to pay that?? Some of the high end crafting recipes take 50-75 essences! That's... a lot of money. So much for that idea....
I'm sure it is all part of their plan. Every item in the game has a lowest price allowed. This lets Blizzard make a lot of money through %'s of the sale.

For example, RMAH gold is $2.50 lowest price for 1 million. They take a total of 30% of the $$ sales (15% to sell, 15% to transfer to paypal).

Why not just buy and sell on the black market? It's better for everyone.

Vigorix

Reaction score
I've only earned about $3 total from the RMAH. It is really hard to get items that are worth selling, plus Blizzard hasn't even activated selling commodities on the RMAH. This is simply their way of milking evrerything they can. Once they open up commodities, people will probably begin to spend less because they will buy gold rather than items. This will let them buy items which are just as good on the AH, for less money.

Honestly, the only one really profiting from this system is Blizzard. They are making tons of profit everyday, from each transaction, for absolutely no work at all.

Jimmymadness

Reaction score
RMAH is very flawed. Unless you have the best weapon of the time, it most likely won't sell. I sold one item for 20$ when RMAH first came out and ever since i have not sold anything.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
It is hard to get any money unless you are really far in the game. However, most of the game is spent farming for better gear and you can sell some of it as a by-product. So you can make money just by playing.

BOBDOB

Reaction score
I sold a few items on RMAH at the start of the game and made about $15. Since then I've made nothing! I agree with you all saying RMAH is flawed and it's definitely another way for Blizzard to make some money off us. With more people having more high end items, it really is hard to sell anything. To be fair the black market would probably be better!

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
I don´t think it's a quick way to make money. Maybe it's funny, in that we can agree. Anyway, I think the basis of Diablo III is spend a good time playing a good game. If we start thinking about money as the main factor, the gameplay time will be left aside. We are all prisoners of capitalism fierce, yet there are places that could not be put. I am among those who believe that we should not mix money with certain things, beyond that is only for a good time.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I don´t think it's a quick way to make money. Maybe it's funny, in that we can agree. Anyway, I think the basis of Diablo III is spend a good time playing a good game. If we start thinking about money as the main factor, the gameplay time will be left aside. We are all prisoners of capitalism fierce, yet there are places that could not be put. I am among those who believe that we should not mix money with certain things, beyond that is only for a good time.
I don't know I think that most of the game is spent farming for better gear and you eventually find good gear you can sell for money that you cant use. I think it is worked well in that sense, but if you spend your time just farming for the AH then it would be not fun I guess.

Winterzbane

Reaction score
I have gotten a few hundred here and there, but it's just supplemental and passive income. Hey I'm not gonna complain though by making a little extra money for my savings account/pocket cash just from playing a game in my free time :)

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
You can get good money for now. But as more and more people use bots, it'll be harder to get decent cash from it. Luckily, Blizzard is working on that with the item limit they're about to impose.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
I don't know I think that most of the game is spent farming for better gear and you eventually find good gear you can sell for money that you cant use. I think it is worked well in that sense, but if you spend your time just farming for the AH then it would be not fun I guess.
But of course people do spend hours farming purely for RMAH gains.

I honestly think that this was one of D3's biggest problems. The game is just too capitalist to properly enjoy it in the long run. Being poor isn't fun in real life when the extremely rich are constantly in your face - and this is exactly how D3 is.

Except in D3 it's a game that the poor can just quit and go be "rich" elsewhere. Like Torchlight, etc.

ACSAPA

Member!
Reaction score
I had a coworker who quit her job and told the boss to go die in a hole the week before Diablo 3 released. I wonder if she made the right choice. I read on a video game blog that the Diablo 3 economy is a mess and it's hard even for people who are good at gold farming to make okay money.
I admire that she wanted to be a Diablo 3 entrepreneur and I secretly cheered when she cursed out our boss, but now that I'm hearing about people cheating and using bots, I'm kind of worried about her.

dreyz

Reaction score
I was intrigues of Blizzard's move to do this. Most people most definitely try to aim to cover their cost of purchasing the game, at the very least. I'm not sure if the economy would be stable as there will be thousands of players literally trying to make some money on the AH.

Then again, I have friends who have already made enough to cover the purchase price, and most of them are high levels. Don't sell those that you think might come cheap, because of the limit of the AH, getting rare eq and selling them is one of the best ways to do, but no doubt not everyone can have rare eqs.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I had a coworker who quit her job and told the boss to go die in a hole the week before Diablo 3 released. I wonder if she made the right choice. I read on a video game blog that the Diablo 3 economy is a mess and it's hard even for people who are good at gold farming to make okay money.
I admire that she wanted to be a Diablo 3 entrepreneur and I secretly cheered when she cursed out our boss, but now that I'm hearing about people cheating and using bots, I'm kind of worried about her.
While I hope your friend does OK, I doubt she will make the money she gets with a job. I don't think there are many ways to make enough money to live except a job unfortunately. Especially in something as unreliable as a video game.