Imortality

pyro_junky

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
do youthink have such a power would be good or bad?

i think it would be bad cuz if a gang tries to kill you but dont know you ant die... well your going to feel alot of bullets going into your chest... owch

FakeNameHere

Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Yeah, imagine being 150 and then caught in a chemical spill that causes permenent cancer. That would be very bad, yet would imortality mean that you heal very fast like worlverine? or never dying?

s[c]j

Member!
Reaction score
Website
scjuggalos.no-ip.com
immortality is impossible, living longer than you are supposed to thats possible, animate objects must die, otherwise it would not be living, in order to live, you must die, so to break away from the mainstream would not be called living, it would be merely called existing, even the mightiest oaks or whatever trees live to be old old, must die some day, the only things that live forever are inanimate objects.

now if you got shot and not died, thatr would be a different kind of immortality, being shot and living shows strength, but to live forever, takes a lot of planing and will to live. i believe what you are thinking of is invincibility, am i right?

Galatia

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Immortality is against the Laws of Nature. Nothing positive can come out of it - unless we are talking about *symbolic* immortality. The *achievements* that we leave behind us. These can *live* forever. Humans can't.

Tacitus

The Oldest
Reaction score
Website
www.animeleague.net
Even if it were possible, it would suck. First of all you would lose your loved ones time and time again (different ones of course). Second of all, immortality does not stop the aging process (under its true definition) so you would keep getting older, and older, and frailer and frailer, but you would never die, sooner or later you would just want it to end. Now, even if you do get agelessness rolled into the package, that first part of losing your loved ones would still make it not worth the while. After a century you'd get all depressed cause everyone you knew and loved is dead.

DRaKHNiR

Member!
Reaction score
Website
og.mud.pl
You don't have to be a heartless bastard. People come, people go. What's the diffence when you're 500 or 40 and your wife dies? Well, maybe there is a difference. When you're 500, after 5 centuries of living you can get used to it that your loved ones die.

As for getting older and older... don't make me laugh. :D You're getting older cuz your body gets older and older and finally you die cuz your body is too old to live. Beeing immortal you cannot get too old cuz getting too old would mean death itself.

Now imagine how much time you got to get more and more when you're immortal. How much wealth, experience and wisdom. Then again, they say some ppl never learn. :D Beeing immortal you'd be albe to observe humainty, advise them wisely, and prevent them from taking the wrong path.

The only thing about immortality would suck, IMHO, if everyone were immortal. :D

pyro_junky

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
good point drakhnir...

but theres one thing i dont agree with in ur post, the part when you said you get use to ur loved ones dieing. i dont belive that is true, death is a teribel thing and i dont care how many of your loved ones died you cant "get use to it" so imortality would realy suck that way... unless you try not to fall in love with anybody.

DRaKHNiR

Member!
Reaction score
Website
og.mud.pl
Hmm, well, I'm not saying that you wouldn't feel any pain, loss, regrets, etc. But when some time passes after each death, you'd realize you could always find someone new to love and share your life with.

FakeNameHere

Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
ahhhh. i see some real smart people in the arcane sancturary. drakhnir is one of them, who shows both sides of an argument. i also see some real losers with too much time... i stand nowhere

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
While I'm reading this thread I'm wishing it was a part of the Asylum... I'm sure about one thing only: The people in the world are getting more, the intelligence is a constant!

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You're all wrong. Or...some of you are, didn't read all of it...

Immortality is being able to survive forever. Because you can survive forever, you have immunities. You wouldn't get sick, or hurt, because if you did, then you wouldn't be immortal. Everything that is immortal [if there is] has a way of being killed. Take Vampiers for example. They are immortal, but they can die. Ever watch Highlander? Most of the people on that show are immortal, but if they get their head cut off, they die.

To become immortal would be excaping the laws of reality. To do that you would have to accend to godhood.

My main point, is that to become immortal you would have to stop pain, ageing, disease, and ultimatly time.

Logic_X

Member!
Reaction score
Website
logicx.sphosting.com
Hmm....wouldn't immortality just make you "immune" to age and death (I think you could still get sick and feel pain...because those are teetering on "invincibility" rather than immortality)

Immortality - "not mortal", Ie you could have a gaping hole in your chest, you could feel it, but you wouldn't die from it (don't know if you would heal or not.....)

Immortality would be a tough decision.....you'd have to weigh the pros and cons.

Personally (I know, I may seem like a "heartless bastard" for this) - but I would be willing to suffer the death of loved ones and friends for immortality - only if I were guaranteed an unaging mind (IE memories are retained as though you were still young).

Because the knowledge, experience, and wealth mentioned above would be able to carry much aid for the world.

If immortality were possible, the bestower of it would have to think long and hard who to give it to, the wrong decision could see all the knowledge, experience, and wealth of ages be used for negative effects (power to control)....while the right choice would bring the world to a golden age through the same resources (power to protect).

Interesting thought though, although most people would be unfit for it...greed or arrogance would get the most of many people...it would be rare to find one who wouldn't be corrupted, and would still be willing to suffer the loss of all they loved.

GsVi-Miles

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i don't really kno if immortality is like u can't die from anything(sorry couldnt be bothered reading the other posts) but if it was..well what happens when the sun becomes a red giant expands out to mars and ur body gets like totaly destroyed

Logic_X

Member!
Reaction score
Website
logicx.sphosting.com
Ever wonder what it feels like to be diced cabbage? ;)

Interesting thought though.....maybe you would have to be Invincible to be Immortal....but technically Immortal doesn't mean you're invinicible...just not mortal.