If you know UD, please help!

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Anyone got any basic strategies, tips, tricks or anything to help me become a better UD player. I'm still trying to figure out the best 1st hero, then 2nd hero.

What units should i generally get against all races? What units shouldn't i get at all? (I find i never buy Gargoyles, is this wise?).

LuNa[eP]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.replays.net
i've got no time now to write a complete post but
try going DK + DL when using mainly melee ( ghouls aboms necs )
or DK + LICH when going mainly ranged ( fiends frosts )
destroyer is a must against all races
so are fiends against air

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
when I was UD, I used to go DK + ghoul rushes against HU, always worked, then I would send fiends from behind for ranged support, and I of course went dual crypt, tis pretty good strat I guess, againt HU, its easy to kill AM with your ghouls and Death Coil, he has pretty low hp so..

As for against UD mirrors, I went Crypt Lord first, learning beetles and spike, and I fast teched to Frost Wyrms. In the end, I had Frost wyrms, CL, DK (2nd hero to heal with death coil) and gargoyles and some frenzied ghouls or fiends to web down air if necessary. It wasnt bad, just required alot of microing and stuff...

anyways, for basic builds, check out aragorn's he really made those well IMO, especially fast fiend build.

p.s. my 8000th post in your thread renzo, and in warcraft forums, I love you all.

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Ghouls and Fiends together with DK or DL. Get some necros and start crippling advanced units. Tier 3 replace Ghouls with some Aboms and get stats going. You may want destroyers for eating your negative buffs as well, some people don't even use destroyer for that reason :D:D:D! Always have some Meat Wagons lying around, they help you hurt casters and leave corpses for you to play with :D.

TweaK

Premium Member
Reaction score
Good way for new undead players is to use crypt fiends and the death knight. You can get used to healing with coil because the fiends are easier to micro and will live longer.

IceDevil9

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.rcthaven.com
Always get your DK first for the Coil, and then I usually went necowagons if I felt like being cheap, or gargs + fiends w/web.

Haven't played UD in awhile though, so I don't know how valid that would be anymore.

-Frank :cool:

LuNa[eP]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.replays.net
IceDevil9 said:
Always get your DK first for the Coil, and then I usually went necowagons if I felt like being cheap, or gargs + fiends w/web.

Haven't played UD in awhile though, so I don't know how valid that would be anymore.

-Frank :cool:
gargs + fiends is pointless, as fiends take out gargs' air advantage;;;
try going fiends destros frosts or ghouls abos gargs;;;

ChrisH36

Reaction score
TweaK said:
Good way for new undead players is to use crypt fiends and the death knight. You can get used to healing with coil because the fiends are easier to micro and will live longer.
Ghouls still share usefulness. But I don't really use them unless I need to defend my base or I get Ghoul Frenzy. They can take a few units down, then my necros can use them for something.

Reaction score
don't read those guides, they're old and outdated from like 5 patches ago. if you want to get better just ask around and experiment for yourself.

what I do in games is go DK/fiends/statues/destroyers, I get a CL if they go range for impale(always keep a mana pot on this guy) and I target their range. For nuking, it's just the same as any other thing. sometimes i like to switch my strategy around and add some banshees and necros for more advantages. one thing to keep in mind is that most power come from the heroes in an UD army

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
5 patches ago: yes

outdated: nah, they're just simple BO for first 2 min of the game....

Revelade

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'll say some general statements about UD.

First of all, many units are fragile and can't take much damage. Orc units generally have high hitpoints, human units have high armor ratings and priests heal, while elves have their mountain giants and wells. So try not to engage with the enemy directly.

Corpses are very useful to the Undead. You will notice this when you use the Rod of Necromancy which is a great tier 1 item at your shop or when you are making beetles with the Crypt Lord. Always be aware where you can find corpses, such as the Graveyard.

Undead heroes require a lot of management to make sure they aren't focus fired and killed on the spot. Since I assume you are new, I suggest you use the Death Knight as your first hero and if you are willing, try to get a 2nd hero. When that hero is low on health, just coil him and he will be good as new. As for the deathknight your order will nearly always be coil/aura/coil/pact/coil/depends. I'd say pact because it's the safest. However, if you feel gosu and can make sure your DK is always safe, level 2 aura is a good choice at level 4.

I HIGHLY recommend you upgrade your first ziggaraut into a nerubian tower at the start of the game since acolytes are the most fragile worker since orcs can hide in burrows, humans can go militia and run off, and wisps are unhittable inside the gold mine and can dispell.

You should probably do the cookie cut strategy of using the DK fiends at tier 1, then moving on to Lich, statues at tier 2, and finally destroyers at tier 3. It's easy to do and works very well.

Finally, if you are up to it, hero nuke can work very well. For some reason, everytime I say that, I think of the Far Seer... Well with the DK and Lich, first you death coil their hero, then frost nova and repeat. If you hit enough, they should be dead, which gives a significant advantage to you.

So in short:
- try to avoid damage
- upgrade armor
- use corpses
- keep heroes behind battles
- upgrade 1st zig into nerubian
- start with DK/fiends/Lich/statues/destroyers strategy (in that order)
- coil/nova their heroes continuously

ChrisH36

Reaction score
NtRik_ said:
5 patches ago: yes

outdated: nah, they're just simple BO for first 2 min of the game....
Which is why we should get access permissions to those guides and rewrite them.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Aragorn7 was a good undedad player, not an undead God. I was better, I beat him several times :)