If D3 Went MMORPG

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Even if D2 went MMO, people would still buy it. Especially if it was a free MMO or semi-MMO type of game. A more diverse and accessable Diablo World for free would be a cash cow. =D

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I'm sure most of the other people who played D2 would. But it would bwe, again, like D2 if it was free. Paying actually ensures for the most part that the game is unhackable and new content is constantly added. =o

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
True. If D3 came out as an MMO, I'd probably still buy it. I love the series enough to do something so dumb

Fei_Rushes

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.helbreathusa.com
A good way to please both the ppl that dont want to p2p and those that would p2p would be to do what Helbreath does..

They let you play for free until you reach a certain lvl then your acct is closed until you pay for it to be open.

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
forgive me for asking, but why isn't D2 a MMORPG?

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Because it's set in it's own individual worlds.

PYF

Reaction score
if diablo goes mmorpg i think it will really suck, i hope d3 will be the same gameplay as d2, but better graphics en more items, char classes en a lot more worlds and bigger more quests

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Look at WOW. Theres over 1 million people playing daily. Look at d2 in it's prime. It had something like 750000 people playing.

Acid Reign

Member!
Reaction score
One thing Blizzard could do that was similar with the Warcraft franchise is to release Diablo 3, a single player action RPG with online capabilities. After a year or so, come out the the Diablo MMO (World of Diablo for example).

They did that with Warcraft III and World of Warcraft.

Mango_stuff

Reaction score
I'm probably going to get a lot of grief from this, but here goes nothing. I think Diablo 2 lacked a lot on gameplay compared to other Blizzard succes stories (In paticular WoW). I'm not trying to start a huge argument here, I'm just narrating what I've experienced.

Here's what I liked about D2. The different variations of characters (especially after the synergy bonus introduced in 1.10). The very simple skill building process. The extention of the series storyline and the new worlds to go along with them.

Here's what i didn't like. About 80% of the game revolved around killing stuff, while the other 20% revolved around building your character and getting better items so you could kill more stuff. Your interaction with the world was minimal, and MF made many events skipable.

Now... don't get be wrong, I like killing things in games, but eventually that gets boring. D2 v1.10 and its synergy bonus' gave me more ways to kill stuff. Eventually even that got boring due to the attention to character build, which took away from me killing things (And made certain things impossible to kill, ie; you can't kill a lightning immune with a lightning sorc).

What I liked least about the game was Magic Find. It degraded the game by making rare items more accessable, which basically forced players to go on MF runs, or level up as fast as possible to use the items they have found. This completely derailed the storyline by making so many events skipable and bosses easier to access and kill. MF also made PvP a simple matter of who had the best items, and any middle ground a matter of who picked the right skills.

Ultimately, the game was unbalanced.

Now... I'm not saying the game was bad by any means, I have 8 expired lvl 85+ characters to suggest otherwise ( I miss my wolf druid, bowazon, and lightning sorc :usad ). But I am saying that D2, in my opinion, being the staple action/rpg title provided a unique but unbalanced blend of the two genres. D3 should focus on making these aspects balanced and above all, unique. If D3 could combine the fast paced decision making of an action game with the creative inspiration and worldly feeling of an RPG in a balanced scenario.... woahh, talk about hard work... I'd buy it!!!!;)