I swaer to god..

shimshimheyxD

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
If you have to pay a fcking monthly fee in order to play Diablo 3, im not going to even get it. Thats why i didnt get world of warcraft.

If there was a monthly fee, would you guys buy it still?

Herod

Member!
Reaction score
No sir I would not. But I think Blizz wouldnt do this because their curently raking in a ton of $$ from WoW .

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
They're not raking in as much as everyone thinks.

They have some 150 servers, all of which have at LEAST 10 GMs on at a time, which is a full time paid job.

Not to mention they have a Dev team that is constantly working on shit in game. I guess people just don't see it that way

shizzledizzle

Reaction score
They're not raking in as much as everyone thinks.

They have some 150 servers, all of which have at LEAST 10 GMs on at a time, which is a full time paid job.

Not to mention they have a Dev team that is constantly working on shit in game. I guess people just don't see it that way
you are such a noob. how can you have over 10,000 posts and be such a noob? empty can rattles the most eh.

5 million subscribers @ $15 is $75m a month (thats 900 MILLION US a year) and if blizz make $20 per box sold we can probably assume their monthly income from subscription and box sales is $80m.

150 servers? ok id hazzard a guess at $20,000 cost a month per server with bandwith? thats $3 mil running costs. even if its double, its 6 mil, whatever.
I dont for a second believe each server has 10 admins active, making it 30 admins per server. lets say there are 20 GMs employed per server, requiring 3000GMs full time (lol) at $40,000 a year with employment costs (yea right the asian ones sure get $40k). On a monthly bases, the GMs cost would be $10m a month.

so on a monthly bases with 3 mil running hardware cost and $10m GM cost (my arse) blizzard have erm... an income of $67m. For $67m a month you can hire 11,500 developers at $70k us a year cost. sooo... why dont you eat a can of stfu and leave the thinking to the people who arebetter equipped to do so. blizzard makes 50, 60 mil US out of this game a month profit to subsidise the rest of their operations. they can afford to develop whatever the hell they want, however they wish to do it. this is why of course they are ploughing cash into d3. if you are making that much money you don't sit on it, you invest it. and d3 will be another immense earner.

as to subscription, yes i'd pay for diablo 3. ultimately, running 2 mmorpg games with 5 million+ subscribers is probably not something a game developer is capable of. blizzard have always been good at concentrating on their core products and distinguishing them from eachother. there is little reason for d3 to be a subscription based game. wow is so different from d2 playing experience so d3 is likely to remain in the spirit of d2 in pretty much every way. bnet character database, private hoster games, similar items, magic find, mass slaughter of mobs. same of the old, just bigger and prettier.

L

Laharl

No sir, I would not. I cannot afford to throw money away at games every month.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
shizzledizzle said:
you are such a noob. how can you have over 10,000 posts and be such a noob? empty can rattles the most eh.

5 million subscribers @ $15 is $75m a month (thats 900 MILLION US a year) and if blizz make $20 per box sold we can probably assume their monthly income from subscription and box sales is $80m.

150 servers? ok id hazzard a guess at $20,000 cost a month per server with bandwith? thats $3 mil running costs. even if its double, its 6 mil, whatever.
I dont for a second believe each server has 10 admins active, making it 30 admins per server. lets say there are 20 GMs employed per server, requiring 3000GMs full time (lol) at $40,000 a year with employment costs (yea right the asian ones sure get $40k). On a monthly bases, the GMs cost would be $10m a month.

so on a monthly bases with 3 mil running hardware cost and $10m GM cost (my arse) blizzard have erm... an income of $67m. For $67m a month you can hire 11,500 developers at $70k us a year cost. sooo... why dont you eat a can of stfu and leave the thinking to the people who arebetter equipped to do so. blizzard makes 50, 60 mil US out of this game a month profit to subsidise the rest of their operations. they can afford to develop whatever the hell they want, however they wish to do it. this is why of course they are ploughing cash into d3. if you are making that much money you don't sit on it, you invest it. and d3 will be another immense earner.
You obviously know nothing about how systems like that work. Dark Age of Camelot's (I'm using this as the best example because I know it the best)
servers cost them 75k$ a month to run a piece. These are more than likely lower server systems than they use for WoW, but I'll give you the benefit of doubt. And theres 150+ US servers. Don't forget about all the other servers that other countries play on. But again, I'll give you the benefit of doubt and say theres only 150 current servers. At 75k a piece a month thats 11,250,000million they spend on server fees and upkeeping them.

Do I need to go on?

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Well even if they make it a MMORPG with a monthly fee they would still make a single player game, which I would play; and would probably pay for my first MMORPG as well.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
What MMO game has a full single player aspect to it?

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You can say that about Warcraft, but look what happened with WoW.

Pains Requiem

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Cellar Door said:
You obviously know nothing about how systems like that work. Dark Age of Camelot's (I'm using this as the best example because I know it the best)
servers cost them 75k$ a month to run a piece. These are more than likely lower server systems than they use for WoW, but I'll give you the benefit of doubt. And theres 150+ US servers. Don't forget about all the other servers that other countries play on. But again, I'll give you the benefit of doubt and say theres only 150 current servers. At 75k a piece a month thats 11,250,000million they spend on server fees and upkeeping them.

Do I need to go on?
owned so hardcore. :(

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I could also go into specifics and say that DAoC's servers only allowed 1k max people on at a time, and WoW lets at least 2k, which would actually double the cost. Though in technology it doesn't work scaled like that so it woudl be roughly 125k a server, x200+ servers +2000gms at (DAoC paid them 60k a year) / 12months in a year = What...like $25,000,000 + $10,000,000 = 35million a month spent on keeping the game up and running.

Factor in the dev teams and recources they use with constant updates and such, and you're looking at about 40million a month. Doesn't make that 75million a month look too big now does it?

I thought so.

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Cellar Door said:
Yes, look what happened. They spawned off a seperate game from the series, and if they did that with Diablo I think it would be a seperate MMORPG as well.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Which is what I've been saying all along, is it not?

Krovvy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
SouLeSS said:
Which is what I've been saying all along, is it not?
I thought you were saying that it would become a strictly MMORPG, and not continue with single player series.

Edit:
Actually you've been making the point that Blizzard isn't making as much money as people think, and the only statement I've seen is that's about Diablo.
Which isn't too clear and if that's what you've been saying the first comment
What MMO game has a full single player aspect to it?
doesn't make since, because(If you are agreeing with my statement that if they made a MMORPG out of Diablo it would continue the series still with a single player or hack/slash game) it would mean that you are nulling the Warcraft arguement.

Stop changing your name.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
I'm done changing my name, though I'm not talking about strictly this thread. Those are just my responses on what you said in it, I've always been very anti Diablo MMO

IDefy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I have played WOW and DAOC, only getting semi through the game, I strongly believe it is not worth a monthley fee. The only problem was that it wasn't entertaining enough, just seemed to have no replay value to me, but hey maybe i'm retarded. I would give Diablo III if MMO a chance just like I have with other pay to play games.

L

Laharl

Doesn't make that 75million a month look too big now does it?
Dear god, you just said that 50 mill per month isn't too much.

$50 000 000.

Somebody needs to pay more attention in math class, it would seem.