How to toss vs zerg?

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
well... against an expert zerg, there isn't alot of stuff you can do that ISN'T unique. You will need to bend over backwards as protoss if you want to beat a good zerg player. First thing to do is get a few zealots and build a couple of cannons. Don't over-do the defense. 2-3 cannons and 4-5 zealots will easily beable to handle 20-30 zerglings. After that, you have only a few choices. Go for a quick reaver drop, or else go zealots & archons w/ arbiters. Don't bother with air as protoss, the defiler makes air 100% useless and any good zerg player will rape your air. I'd recommend alot of zealots and some dragoons/archons... then throw a few arbiters in if possible. Combine this with a reaver drop in the base (if you can get one in) and your gonna hurt them bad. This of course, would require alot of research... so instead of gong reavers, you can just try and get an arbiter in his base. If you send about 5-6 arbiters in and then recall all your guys he is ****ed. Just remember to stay away from carriers and air altogether and you'll stand better chances at beating a zerg. Good luck.

LiHaHia

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
those cannons don't do good when they face hydras, and neither can the zealots ....

and i always lost my expo and the probes on there... so my game is like pre-finished because my oppenent will have 2 or 3 expos after he destoyed mine...

SkuZZy

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
If your opponent is going all hydras, the best way to counter them is with the method I said above. Upgraded zealots will totally own hydras if you send enough of them. Dragoons own hydras also. If he hits your 3 bases at once, then what do you think arbiters are for? You can transport guys from any spot, to any spot in a matter of seconds using arbiter's recall, so just keep an arbiter at each base. Also, keep an arbiter near his base and if he sends all his guys, go into his main base and warp 12 dragoons or so into it and kill off his main base, that will usually be enough to get him to recall. All this said and done, the fact is...like I said above, there is no easy way to beat a good zerg as toss. You need to be creative. If you think you can beat a zerg who makes all hydras by just making zealots and dragoons, or any other type of units, you're nuts. Hydras are too cheap and can be made too fast... so you need to use the tools that are given to you, such as Reavers, Archons & Arbiters. Also, another good weapon is temp's storm... and dark archons as well. Start using arbiters though. I know they are hard to get, but work up to them and once you get them, use recall like mad.

Ryu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Power zealot rush a zerg early with 2 gateways constantly pumping out zealots. By doing this and keep pressure on a zerg early, it forces them to be defensive and incapable of teching too fast or build enough drones to fully utilize any early expansion. Get 1 or 2 corsair while continuously making zealots and keeping zerg on defensive. Use the sairs to scout out zerg base and attack any vulnerable overlords. Generally your army against a zerg should consist of mainly zealots, some goons, some archons, and high templars. Should upgrade zealot speed asap as well as attack.

If you keep pumping out zealot constantly, and add more gateways as you need them for more production, you'll find protoss keep up with zerg well, especially if you applied good early pressure.

BigTymer[Frog]

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraftmaps.tk
umm.... NO WAY... never dt on zerg, 1 word "OVERLORD" and if has any brains that late in the game (because of arbiter witch is hard to get) he would put lurkers and spores too def hes workers. so dont try it against zerg, it would be awfull nice against any race early though. But u can always use shuttle's cause 2 full means 8 dt witch is hell early enough

LiHaHia

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
but use 2 gates and zealots do the pressure is pretty good i think...

but if the opponent use like 3 sunkens and then i am just becoming affraid to attack anymore... and he can go something like 4 base hydra or 3 base mutas....

i feel pretty bad then... cuz he has 2 base..... and he makes a lot of units:((((

FSB)SoulReaper

Member!
Reaction score
Website
thescv.com
uhh heres an idea ruch zealots real quick to counter ling rush if no ling rush use the zlots to block in the player tech stright to revers and build a muta d while teching up make sure to build dragoons. dude send the goons out to fight the hydras and have like 4 revers for back up and the hydras will get owned have corsairs to take down guardians toward mid game and get high templar 2 keep the zerg from expanding and hes basicly screwed oh and never forget to get observers for those pesky lurker rushes

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
Nice Idea Xel, or how bout this

Avoid getting Dark Archons and DT's, make sure you throw in some High Templars and Reavers, if your desperate for air D go with Corsairs and Avoid Scouts and Carriers Completely.

The most handy unit you can use against Zerg would proably be High Templers because Psy Storm can own a mass of units quick.

And everyone else pretty much covered the rest.

Remiraz

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
ZERG Vs PROTOSS

What it REALLY depends on is what your opponent is building. (Scouting anyone)
Then adjusting your game plan accordingly.
There is one generally "safe" early, early-mid, mid combination...

Early/Early-Mid

Zealot
Dragoon
Dark Templar
High Templar

Mid-Late game additions

Reaver
Archon
Observer

*You can switch Reavers and High Templars' position on this..erm, Chart. BUT if you go Reavers you'll need more Goons to handle air threats. On the other hand, you can counter Lurkers/Sunkens/ZergGround much easier.

Zealot/Dragoon/Dark Templar alones will do *generally* well against Hydras.
Dragoons = anti muta
High Templar's Psi Storm will make these own their respectively units harder AND also counters the all important Lurkers.
*special note*...Lurkers : These critters can own your entire army if you don't go Reaver/Templar tech to try to take them out. Brute force is simply idiotic when faced with 4+ lurkers.

Some basic reactionary builds :

Zealot/Dragoon or all Dragoon as main force.

If opponent goes...Mass Hydra!
-High Templar or Reaver

Mass Lings!
-Research +1 ground attack @ forge! Zealot takes 2 hits instead of 3 to kill a ling...ownage.
-Zealot/Goons
-*if overwhelming lings* High Templar or Reaver (say gg to him, pure lings is very stupid)

Mutas!
-3 Cannons at base, Goons + High Templars.

Muta + Lings!
-Zealots/Dragoons/High Templars, 3 Cannons at base.

Lurker!
-1 Cannon at ramp. block ramp with your army and 1-2 Cannon at base.
-Observer + Reaver. (lots of goons) (yay)
-High Templar + Cannons.

Do lots of drops...Psi his drones or Reaver his mineral line.
Hit and RUN at the first sign of trouble.
On maps like Lost Temple, if he counters with Muta, you can park Goons nearby below his cliff and run towards goons if he tries to counter with muta.

NOTE :
As a Zerg player I can tell you this...
ALWAYS MIX YOUR FORCE!
ALWAYS GET TEMPLAR + REAVER!

Pure Hydra is ownage to all Toss ground 'cept when Templar + Reaver is present.
I own Zealots all the time, even the speed upgraded ones.

SmashBros.Pro

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.angelfire.com
Originally posted by AKA-47
The only way to beat hydras is psionic storm.
Actually Reavers will work alot better than Psi Strom and same with some DT's.

And what I posted earlier about avoiding DT's.. I must have been really tired or drunk. Because I rarely ever go a game without using DT's.

AKA-47

Member!
Reaction score
I know reavers are good, but i find high templars more effective.

1. Teching to and building templars costs less than reavers.
2. You dont need shuttles, which makes it easier to controll ur entire army.
3. Reavers without damage research do 100 damage, while psionic storm does 112, this means its more effective vs lurkers (and u can attack them even if u dont have a detector)
4. Storm attacks a larger area.