How to skin

Kaldaris

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sundren.org
Heres the Tutorial by Horse_Balls

1. Use Image Extractor II and save the unit you want to skin.
2. Edit the skin.
3. Use the Viewer to change it back into a .blp
4. Use the Image Extractor to find the Unit Pathname, i.e. Units\Other\FleshGolem\FleshGolem.blp
5. Import the skin into your map, and put the unit you want to skin under the pathname, i.e. Units\Other\FleshGolem\FleshGolem.blp (To change the pathname, double click on the imported file)
6. Save the map
7. Close the editor
8. Reopen the map and editor, and voila!

Download the Image Extractor, Here
Download the Viewer, Here

Horse_Balls

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
P.S. You'll need TFT editor to make this work. If you don't have tft why are you bothering making a map anyways? lol, just kiddin'

UltimateJim

Member!
Reaction score
if your using photoshop, make sure your not editing n e of the "alpha" layers, those are the certain places on the skin where the player colors are located, if your not using photoshop... your gonna have a helllava hard time making good skins

Jedi

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i found a skin on the campaign creations website that i wiould like to try out(it is the orange tiger skin)... i cannot get it to work! what field in the unit editor do i have to put it in and how do i get it to show up on the imported pull down menu? do i have to have a custom path? and what should that be?

Thanks,

Jedi

EDIT: ok, nevermind, i think i found it! is it the Art- Icon- Game Interface field? ok, so maybe it isn't that one... i need help again... :(

Jedi

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
no one can help me with this? i find that hard to believe... maybe you guys haven't noticed this post yet, so... i will bump it... *bump* :p

Jedi

UltimateJim

Member!
Reaction score
dont spam, no offense but... :nooob

a few sullutions

1.GET TFT
2.MAKE IT A .BLP FILE

if all of the above are correct then input it into the proper pathway
which is Units\NightElf\HeroMoonPriestess\PriestessOfTheMoon.blp

OR get winmpq and import it into your map using Units\NightElf\HeroMoonPriestess\PriestessOfTheMoon.blp as a name (for roc) GET TFT!!!

Jedi

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
read my sig! it says right there that TFT has become a part of my little gaming family... :p

anyway, how would i make it a .blp file? once i know that, i will rule the world!!!! ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

well, not really... but... i know how to make the custom path, but i wasn't sure what it was supposed to be! thanks for telling me what it was!!! :) i get so much help around these forums... i just wish i could give help... i'm not the best mapmaker, you know... i do have a pretty cool idea for a map, but i do not have any idea how to do it... anyway...

and, um, sorry, i didn't mean to spam, but the post had been there for a while and it seemed as if no one had noticed it and/or no one could help me... so, being optimistic, i bumped it, hoping people would notice it... anyway, someone did!! yay! i am so happy!

Jedi

Jedi

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hehe... i'm sorry, did i bore you with my almost completly pointless post? well, it sounded good when i was writing it... :p anyway...

Jedi

scitzo3

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Maybe someone can help me, I just made a mini change to the Undead Arthas(it was just changing Frostmourn into a long sword) and i did everything as was said. But when i opened up the map the second time, it said it could not load (file location here) and where i had placed the Arthas was replaced by a green and black checkered cube. Please help me :(

scitzo3

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Just to make sure i chose the right file to edit, Im editing the file that has all the pieces of the unit spread out a bit? And do i place the unit im changing down on the map and then save it and stuff? Or bring in the skin and then save, close, and reopen the map and then put it on the map. Oh ya one more thing. When you bring the skin into the map, do you put the path name to whatever the original is? Like if i edited a blood mage and imported it, would i make the pathname Units\Human\BloodMage\(insert proper word here).blp?

M3_feelin_0wn3d

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
bloodmage . but with villager the vieuwer is WRONG!
they say u must do . units\critters\villagerman\villagerMALE.blp
but its villager MAN! and my sorc wont work :( could someone plz put the ports. i did the expansion bloodelfsorc

UltimateJim

Member!
Reaction score
This is very important if you want your skin to work ingame

Notice the green circled areas, look alright to edit right?

Now notice the RED circled areas, suddenly they have red in them, this is where the team color is located, and if you edit this particular part, your skin will be invisible and only appear as the team colors, in photoshop 6, i just go to Channels then activate the "alpha" channel, then i am careful not to edit ANY alpha, not even a tiny corner!

i can answer most any question regarding skinning because... well theres only about 2-3 skinners in this whole forum :p

M3_feelin_0wn3d

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
as he said... i use adobe photoshop 7 but it has no tab of alpha channels so u must rely on your knowlage ( or if im right where u may not work is backgroundcolor , thats my guess )
i say 6 is easyer for beginner. i dunno all changes between versions but 7 has handyer tools
PsP will work 2

UltimateJim

Member!
Reaction score
photoshop 6 has an easyier interface, you dont have to configure it much to get it 2 ur liking, maybe you could fiddle with ur photoshop 7 and get back to us on this m3?