How to glitch eth armors/shields in cube?

LordNevar

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
www.valhallalegends.com
In Diablo 2 version 1.11 and 1.11b, there is a bug regarding the socketing of ethereal armors. Ethereal armors are assigned a 50% bonus to their base defense rating when dropped. This is normal. What is not normal is the fact that when sockets are added to an ethereal armor using the Horadric Cube, that ethereal defense bonus is applied again. The result is an armor with an absolutely impossible defense rating. Enhanced defense modifiers are then added to that base defense rating, so the difference in end defense is rather huge.
This bug appeared as a side-effect when the 1.10 ethereal armor upgrade bug was fixed (the bug is described in section 14). In order to fix that bug, a defense bonus of 50% was simply crammed into the ethereal unique armor upgrade formula. Unfortunately that fix also affected the ethereal armor socketing formula, making armors now gain a second defense bonus when socketed.

The use of this bug is very controversial, and that is the reason I havent added this section earlier. The overwhelming number of questions asked about this forced me to make up my mind.

It is not debatable whether this is a "bug" or an "undocumented feature". It is obviously a result of a programming flaw, making it a bug. Ask anyone who has looked at the code, ethereal armors gaining defense when socketed is NOT intentional. Not a chance.

However, the community is split regarding the practical use of this bug. One half argues that since Blizzard hasnt removed the bug, they intend it to stay, and that they need the bugged armors to stay competent when compared to those who do use the bugged armors. The other half considers the use of any ingame bugs to their advantage to be cheating. Personally, I agree with the second group, and suggest that anyone who wants to consider oneself a legitimate gamer to avoid this bug until fixed.

Jason

BattleForums Guru
Reaction score
Meh. Bugs are the only link to 1.09 we have. 3/20/20's, sojs, and hrs poof like no tomorrow. =P

Pandaren

Premium Member
Reaction score
So for shield is : Tal Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Ruby + Eth Shield = Socketed Glitched Eth Shield of same type
and for armor : 1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Eth Body Armor = Glitched Socketed Body Armor of same type

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
etheral items are able to be bugged.

you just use the cube recipe that sockets an item with random sockets.

say you get an Etheral Dusk shroud.

if you use the socket recipe on it itll get 50% Enhanced Damage + a random number of sockets [the bug is that its not suppoose to get the boosted defense]

shields, armors, and i guess helms are able to have it done, but the most popular ones to do it with are paladins hields and armors