How tall do you think SC Units are?

CruelJustice

Member!
Reaction score
I don't think they are to scale with the buildings. If you take a look at the pictures before some of the missions you'll get an idea. I'd say the average command centre is about the size of two football stadiums stacked on top of eachother. Did'nt you see how big the overmind was compared to the in-game scale? It was about as big as Dallas and 10 times as high.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Marine = 1.8m.
Hydralisk = 2m.
Zealot = 3m.

Three metres...crikey, that's really..big. No wonder the Protoss poon :D

I'd also imagine that Dragoons would be smaller in height than Zealots, only by a small amount and HTs would also be smaller (Maybe taller because they float). Dark Templars would be about three metres as well. Reavers would be taller than a normal large tank nowadays and about two times as long (At least, they *are* worms after all).

I'd like to think that a *real* Carrier could hold up to 200 interceptors, rather than a measely eight.

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Renzokuken said:
Marine = 1.8m.
Hydralisk = 2m.
Zealot = 3m.

Three metres...crikey, that's really..big. No wonder the Protoss poon :D

I'd also imagine that Dragoons would be smaller in height than Zealots, only by a small amount and HTs would also be smaller (Maybe taller because they float). Dark Templars would be about three metres as well. Reavers would be taller than a normal large tank nowadays and about two times as long (At least, they *are* worms after all).

I'd like to think that a *real* Carrier could hold up to 200 interceptors, rather than a measely eight.
Remember, too, that Zealots don't stand up straight while they fight. An ultralisk... I'd picture one of those guys being about the size of your average... McDonald's PlayPlace.

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
why don't we find out the scale of the figurines that blizzard sells. use some math skilz that we learned in highschool and apply the new scale. =\ that way we could find a very close figure for how tall these creatures are.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
It's SC Addict talk to you, bucko! :D

The Ultralisk is probably close to that, or maybe two apartment buildings (Two story buildings.) stacked next to eachother would equal it's size. Also, Ultralisks move really fast with their upgrades. It would be like a charging wall of pure power. Add the blades and it would make them extremely dangerous. :D

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Mmm...Nova from SC:G is prolly like 6'1 and then when the game comes out we can just use a scale factor to figure out hieghts.

Visions of Khas

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
According to the StarCraft Alternity, the Ultralisk is approximately 16 feet in height.

Protoss average 3 meters.

Hydralisks are 5 meters in length.

I estimate Wraiths to be 9 to 11 meters in length.

The Dragoon is fifteen meters wide, with the command pod approximately three wide.

Scouts are between 18 and 24 meters, arbiters only slightly longer.

Guardians are around one and a half meters tall and around six wide, mutalisks 6 long and four high.

Battlecruisers and carriers have a lower limit of 560 meters and perhaps an upper limit of one kilometer. I'd estimate the former can maintain 24 wraith fighters (or sixteen and four dropships), while the latter over a hundred interceptors.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Wow. That was most insightful indeed! Carriers and BC's are huge then, even bigger then I originally assumed they were. Thank ou for posting that Visions of Khas. Now I can go have dreams of the actual sizes of the units, hehe. :)

Bangladesh

Reaction score
Whoever thinks an ultralisk is 18 ft tall is crazy. the tallest imperial wolly mammoth was 16 ft tall. Do you honestly think that an ultralisk was that short.

You know that would be a good fight bull woolly mammoth vs ultralisk. Fur and fat vs carapace. Tusk vs blade. trunk vs jaw.

kv1at3485

Reaction score
Apologies if I'm resurrecting a 'dead' thread...

Suited Marines have to be at least two metres tall. An 'average' human (today) is 1.8 metres tall. A marine suit would need to be able to accomodate a range of heights. And this is assuming that better medical treatment hasn't caused humans to grow even taller (but we'll let that slide.) A three metre tall Protoss Zealot is really quite tall in comparison. (And has anybody seen how thin the suit helmets are? Low velocity shrapnel protection only, hmm?)

(Interestingly enough, you could probably make a good estimate of the height of a Missile Turret since, according to the status diagram in the game, there's a guy inside. And thanks to Ghost, we can now tell how big an actual Bunker is, although with firing 'slits' that big, the Bunker is of dubious value.)

Goliaths (being walkers and all) are probably around five metres high. The cockpit is probably 2 metres high (needing to house a reclined human being plus equipment). The legs can easily extend the height by another three metres. (On a side note, the Goliath is a flawed fighting machine. Too tall to hide, too slow to get away, and the legs are far too vulnerable. A smaller wheeled or tracked vehicle would have done better, but I guess it would not have been as kewl.)

The Arclite Siege Tanks are probably about the same height as the Goliaths.

Obviously, Dropships then must be somewhere like ten metres high (tail fins and all). The Wraiths are probably a bit shorter than ten metres.

Saying that, I think Behemoths can be no less than 600 metres in length, if the flight bays in the hammerhead are ten metres tall (enough to handle Wraiths but not Dropships). This makes the hammerhead some 100 metres tall. From there, my estimation of the length gets a bit fuzzy. Note that if the flight bays are able to handle Dropships, then the bays must get rather taller (perhaps 15 metres), increasing the length of the Behemoth further (say around a 1000 metres.) Personally, I go for the 1000 metre figure.

The E3 2005 cinematic for Ghost has a rather nice scene of an Ultralisk surrounded by Marines. (Makes me laugh. "I shoot my puny not-so-Guass-rifle at you!" and "Let's stand suicidally close to the Ultralisk while we're shooting at it!") From that, I'd say the Ultralisk is maybe eight to ten metres tall. Time to bust out the RPG's...

From that same cinematic, Zerglings are like 1 metre tall (not including those two claws sticking up over their heads.)

Hydralisks seem to be 5 metres tall from that Ghost screenshot. SCV's are probably Hydralisk-sized.

I wonder how big Valkyries are...

YoDaddy3vL2

Reaction score
Argh! I need a conversion tool! We Americans were never taught the dreaded but far more efficient metric system!

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
By Behemoth, you mean BattleCruiser, right? I like that post, very nice and very worthwhile of reading. Your estimates are nice too, even if they may be wrong. :)

Zerglite

Reaction score
YoDaddy3vL2 said:
Argh! I need a conversion tool! We Americans were never taught the dreaded but far more efficient metric system!
meter is about a yard and 2-3 inches

kv1at3485

Reaction score
Darkmatter said:
By Behemoth, you mean BattleCruiser, right? I like that post, very nice and very worthwhile of reading. Your estimates are nice too, even if they may be wrong. :)
Yup. The battlecruiser in the game is supposedly Behemoth-class. You can let your imagination run wild and account for other types of battlecruiser.

(Heck, with so many suggested sizes from all of those SC cinematics, maybe there are other classes: they just look like scaled down or up versions of each other or something...)

Another fun thing to do is to imagine what StarCraft would be like if it were 'real', using 'real' science and all. After all, the game can only portray but a fraction of the possible units and weapons. I mean, surely Marines have some sort of ground APC available to them. (But I'm at a total loss to explain the Zerg. :-/ )

But I digress.

YoDaddy3vL2

Reaction score
Everyone is forgetting the overlord. I haven't checked yet but isn't that about the size of a BC in game? We're talking about a floating monster the size of 2 football fields, big enough to block out the sun. Now THAT is scarey.

PauseBreak

Reaction score
If anyone here remember the old videos for SC ghost then they should remember that the Hydralisk was quite large. Now look @ the new videos!!! Holy smoken' Pete! The hydralisk is like a freaking oversized van!

kv1at3485

Reaction score
MrBret said:
If anyone here remember the old videos for SC ghost then they should remember that the Hydralisk was quite large. Now look @ the new videos!!! Holy smoken' Pete! The hydralisk is like a freaking oversized van!
Did you catch the combat walkers walking in the background in one of the cinematic's scenes? (I think it starts from time 0:30.) I thought that was pretty cool, and they're as tall as I thought.