How do you own 24 carriers?

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Phoenix, you're also missing the point of the fact that not many people would have all there guys ready to run like hell when they see like 10 EMP's comming at them.

BannedBirdHouse

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drunken Master
Why did you let them get 24 carriers in the first place, what do you play money maps with a 20 minutes delay?
No I was playing a xxxx vs yyy ums. In non rules game I don't let them have them but I also play some nr games but it's ok now carriers ain't a prob anymore.

FOD

Member!
Reaction score
Website
clanfodpage.cjb.net
i did the plague and hydralisk and the clond thingy.... it worked out nicely. i didn't lose one hydralisk. it was crazy cool!

but i mainly play LT so i won't be using this strat for a while......

MONEY MAPS SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phoenix2003

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by SouLeSS
Phoenix, you're also missing the point of the fact that not many people would have all there guys ready to run like hell when they see like 10 EMP's comming at them.
By dodged, I don't mean moving away once it's launched. It seems you missed my point. I was referring to moving air. In which case, you have to lead your SVs a bit. And you're assuming he doesn't change direction or stop, otherwise you can completely miss. If he's sitting around or moving predictably, then he needs to learn how to play better.

Secondly, EMP has poor area of effect. You don't have to take my word for this, but try it. On a group of probes and see how many of them lose their shields.

Thirdly, wiping shields off carriers is no big deal, since most of their health is in the body. Shields take full damage anyway, so it's silly to say you're doing 150 damage to each carrier.

EMP is one of the most underused and overrated spells in the game. Even if toss goes archons, pro terran will not get EMP.
Only newbies use this regularly, pros, once in a blue moon, but not for what you think.

People say anything is an anti-carrier strat these days. And you wonder why this board gets FLAMED. You can't just throw around strats that only work against total newbies or players who are MUCH worst than you(and he must be if he falls for EMP, dark swarm or mass devourers, etc). It just isn't sound.

a@...

Member!
Reaction score
I read this whole thread...and so far, I agree wit Pheonix2003
Terran suck against Carrier b/c good players hide their stargates somewhere so Terran Players can't find em. When they findout protoss player has like...4~6 carriers too late. few gopliaths, or wraiths can't do much. and ghosts take forever to make. (also lockdown ability)

Tiger_shark

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
terran is by FAR the easiest race to counter carriers. A good terran player will scan or scout the protoss base regularly to see if there are any stargates or carriers being built. Since terran usually goes metal against toss, it does not take them long to get goliaths + range upgrade. By the time the terran player gets around 8 goliaths, the toss player will probably only have 2 or 3 carriers with no interceptors. Then they attack, and then the toss is screwed.

As for late game, where there are 24 carriers, get goliaths, wraiths, and EMP, and outmicro the opponent. hotkey goliaths and wriaths and shift attack different carriers while EMP their shields and building more forces in your base.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Unfortanely, standard pvt involves containing terran so.....

Geamanu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The thing is carriers shouldn't come alone.Corsairs would be used for DW on ground threats(also a wraith and muta killer), scouts for devourers and arbiters for cloaking and freezing large amounts of units.So when u say carriers Phoenix you mean this whole bunch of units,don't you?

Ubuu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
forum.bodybuilding.com
If he kills you before he gets carriers, then it was pointless to build them anyway. Terran won't kill carriers instantly but will probably have atleast a few goliaths left after the battle between carriers vs terran. A good terran player vs a good protoss player would almost be like a stand off. Phoenix, you sound like a person who mastered the "mass carriers" so i would doubt you would actually lose with carriers too easily. But not everyone is like you with the intelligence of handling carriers, so therefore "most" ppl will lose with carriers(notice how i said "most"). And besides, carriers alone will have a slight chance of winning a battle.;)

Geamanu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
This is turning into the "Carriers worth building" discussion...
What else can a zerg player do against 24 carriers than building devourers,defilers and hydras?Assuming he manages to plague the carriers there should be no problem for 36 devourers.Now comes the problem of stasis field and moving the devourers above the carriers will probably prevent the enemy ftom freezing them.(dunno, i saw a player drop a nuke on his own base to stop an atack).

~Screwed

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by a@...
I read this whole thread...and so far, I agree wit Pheonix2003
Terran suck against Carrier b/c good players hide their stargates somewhere so Terran Players can't find em. When they findout protoss player has like...4~6 carriers too late. few gopliaths, or wraiths can't do much. and ghosts take forever to make. (also lockdown ability)
Terran is the only race that I'd use Carriers against. PvT you see Carriers more than you ever will in a PvZ or PvP.

Carriers are mainly used late game against a Tank massing Terran who's attempting to push you back into a little corner while he takes over the map. If you can micro the Carriers correctly, Goliaths won't be able to defeat them. Wraiths might do your Carriers in, you can throw in some anti air to take care of that.

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Ubuu, you do have a point. However, I learned from other players.
You're right, though.

Ubuu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
forum.bodybuilding.com
I forgot this was zerg strategies. Anyways, 24 carriers will wreck zerg. You will have to be a really good zerg player inorder to win. If you can plague almost all 24 carriers, you might have a chance by cutting most of their health in half, making it more easier. Then send in your devourers to finish the job. 24 carriers can beat a population consisting of just devourers and i have seen it before. Or you can build enough scourges and send 8 each to attack 1 carrier(6 will kill an upgraded carrier, the other 2 will die before making there). With hydras and dark swarm, just use them defensively and let them attack only the interceptors. They will die faster if you send them head on towards the carrier, and even worse when the carriers are above cliffs and on water/space.

Hyarion

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Devouers + mutas, dont know if they are such a good strat against 24 carriers but with 9 acidspores the carriers will take 9 extra damage from any attack, making them incredibly vulnearble against mutas glave wurms.

forgotmypasswd

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
EMP might be able to be dodged but most of the noobs on money maps totally ignore science vessels. I know this cause I play sucky money maps :p he will be attacking your gols or BC. If you get a good emp on the arbiter, he cant freeze any units, or recall.

For zerg, it the time it takes to get 24 carriers, you should have so many hydras that it would be a slaughter. Carrier users will go straight for your spore colonies, so dark swam them and attack back with scourges/muta. IF you ensnare em, they cant dodge Dark swarm good.

Pro_oss5

Reaction score
Website
www.yahoo.com
this is the way out

use defilter and the queen. use queen and ensnare and use defilter to spit out that red stuff. the ensnare will slow the enemy down, allow u to retreat and time for the red stuff to do their thing. REMEMER TO KEEP YOUR ARMY AWAY FROM THE CARRIER FOR AT LEAST 10 SECond before u come and attack them. During that time DONT do anything and just let them attack your structrue(which can heal) and u can quickly rebuilt it. that the way out the more defilter u have the better because u could cause even more damage every second :fencing

Phoenix2003

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by forgotmypasswd
EMP might be able to be dodged but most of the noobs on money maps totally ignore science vessels. I know this cause I play sucky money maps :p he will be attacking your gols or BC. If you get a good emp on the arbiter, he cant freeze any units, or recall.

Let's not forget that stasis outranges EMP. You probably won't be able to unless you get really lucky.