Heroes for SC2? Yes or no?

ChrisH36

Guy with Most Posts on Quiet Board.
Reaction score
But then you are sitting there for 20 minutes getting these units when there is no REAL action happening. Heroes were added to make swift moves and sucH!

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Heroes would be alright if they could balance them with normal units. First of all, you'd have to create a hero somehow, not just start with it. The time and resources that are put into training a hero would have to be equivalent to that of just building regular units with that time and those resources. If you make it cost the same, time and mineral wise, as three marines, but it's so strong it can take on 20 marines, that would defeat the purpose of StarCraft and the game dynamic would be ruined.

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
It depends really on what you want...if you like controlling large massive armies with no unit that really sticks out from the rest. Then I would go with no heroes....If you like micro alot then I would go with heroes. But I personally think that is what made starcraft so cool.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
My opinion on this matter is somewhat varies along the lines of ''I want Heroes but not like Warcraft's.'', and that is because I detested Heroes on Warcraft III. They were just bleh, I think. For me, they definately changed my single most important view on the Warcraft Series as i knew it then, jumping from WC2 to WC3 it was a major shock for me, but it was really fun as well. In SC2, I would like heroes, but instead of having like basic heroes, like for example, say Protoss has a hero named ''Master Dark Archon'' he would be a caster type of hero, blah blah blah. Instead of having it like that, why not use Story Heroes? Jim Raynor? Edmund Duke? Tom Kazansky? Get what I'm saying? It may seem like the same thing, but for me it would be better since it wouldn't just be ''another *insert hero name here*'' it would be, ''Shit, they have a Jim Raynor in Hyperion!'' type of response. But that would be my only request for Heroes if they were to ever do them.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
Well, if they did that, I would always play as Zerg, if you know what I'm sayin ;)

Rawwwr :lovedup

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Kerrigan...as a detailed, 3D Model Hero...wings included...

*creams*

But do you like that idea Azrael? And thje rest of you, do you like it berrer opposed to basic names? I think story heroes adds a bit of depth as well as profile to the actual hero, and makes things much more interesting while using them in-game.

Nicholas The Slide

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i guess it would be good, as long as the heros were balanced...like maybe how it was done in age of mythilogy...how heros ar good against special units but ok against normal fighting unites...u dunno just a thought

ChrisH36

Reaction score
Warcraft III worked that way. Level 1 heroes could be taken down by basic units like Footmen or Grunts. But then when they got to 6+, you need to use ur powerful heroes or tier3 units like Tauren or Knights to stop them. They should have some advantage against units, but also be able to be defeated by other units. Like if you made a marine hero, he could stop other Marines or some Fbats with others helping him.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
I like the idea DM.. allll the ideas :lovedup

I didn't even think of having basic names. That would be a stupid thing to do in my opinion.. if you're going to have heroes, they have to be named after the actual heroes that'll be in SC2. It would just suck otherwise :p

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Well, thats what they did with Warcraft. I didn't want to use a blademaster, I wanted Grom Hellscream, damnit. :( But glad you guys like that idea. I would rather use Kerrigan then a standard ''queen of bladeas'', because we know shes the one and only. ;) And to me it just adds a greater sense of the term ''Hero'' if they are one of a kind based on the storyline, and as such, there would be a problem with seeing more then one of them in a team game, but the whole history of that hero would still shine in moreso then a name generated standard hero name with it's class, I think. :)

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
I wouldn't see any problem with there being more than one of the same hero on the map at the same time. Five Kerrigans in a cat fight.. rawr ;)

ChrisH36

Reaction score
That would be annoying and silly. Then it would be all about who has the spells to fight on. If heroes were included though, the person would really start having to take micrmanagement into play.

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
You know what? I think they should make it so it's balanced either way, with or without heroes. Then they should make it so the game creator can enable/disable heroes when they go to host a melee game. That'd really work for me :)

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I like that idea. That way, Sc1 people who love it the way it used to be can just do without the heroes and kill things as they normally would, whilst a person who enjoys the company of heroes and their abilities as a leading unit can enable them and everyone is happ, given you put ''no hero or hero'' in the game name to let everyone know, or some sort of warning in advance that you will or will not be using heroes in your game. :)

ChrisH36

Reaction score
That option can easily be done. If you have multiple ladders maybe...

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
If they could only have one ladder, I'd want it to be without heroes, to follow the original more closely. If anything, heroes should be an extra bonus, not a necessity. They could even make Melee and Hero Melee as two different game types. Who knows :p

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
I was actually thinking that while I was typing it. Have a set default way to play ladder games, like no heroes, etc, but make it so all the options can be toggled for regular melee games, or at least have a special melee type where everything can be toggled :D I agree it would be very cool.

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Yeah. They could make it so you could almost totally customize the game you play before you actually play it, that way you are almost always happy since they are your settings, and since you love your settings, you would be happy otherwise. And other people could do their settings, such as heroes, map, ping levels, and maybe even supply. If you could toggle how much supply max could be in the game, that would be really, really cool. This way, you can et certain strategies to a certain supply cap for each race. :D

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
Supply cap = 10

That'd be odd, and Zerg would win :p I would want the max to be at least 400 if they did that :D They'd have to fix lag and unit max issues though, no one is going to play 400 if it always lags or they run out of creatable units. I'd like to see some new abilities though, I think that's where a lot of the fun will probably lie. Not just in the new units and buildings, but in the new abilities they give old units, and how they alter the old abilities as well. I'm assuming everything that used to be a certain way won't be left completely unchanged :)