Happy Birthday BF! (Important Announcement)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
lol i read it like a bunch of times, and I'm like "it had begun".. that sounds weird.

Ah so it was a typo!! XD

okay, so I just signed up and sent my name and e-mail.
I'm sent this EASY 1-CLICK CONFIRMATION, I click it and it says I'm subscribed.

Then I get sent another link, which it tells me to open a new account? Do I only get 50 points if I open a new account?okay, so I just signed up and sent my name and e-mail.

Then I get sent another link, which it tells me to open a new account? Do I only get 50 points if I open a new account?
You already have an account, so don't worry.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
lol i read it like a bunch of times, and I'm like "it had begun".. that sounds weird.

Ah so it was a typo!! XD

okay, so I just signed up and sent my name and e-mail.

Then I get sent another link, which it tells me to open a new account? Do I only get 50 points if I open a new account?
You probably have like 1000 points by now. I think he's working with Dragn....

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I didn't even get my confirmation email.WHAT THE ****, DAWG?

BTW there better be a post minimum for participants, like 100 posts. Keeps out people that attend the contest and leave after~ some people I can name. /cough

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
"it HAD begun??? someone please fix before everyone at bf looks like retards....wait
Holy crap how'd I miss that. Fixed :)

There WILL be a minimum posts requirement, but not to participate. Anyone can participate, but in order to be eligible to win prizes, you'll have to get past a set post count.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
i call dibs on second place

@renzo: for the last time, i never cheated, dont hate the playa, hate the game.
How to Cure a Headache should never give you points for a contest on a primarly gaming forum. It's ****ing stupid, and all your posts basically was was "lol heres a buncha things I found on wikipedia for XXXXXX!"

I call dibs on the PSP. I almost bought one when I was at bestbuy yesterday, but I ended up spending like 400$ on DVD's instead.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
There WILL be a minimum posts requirement, but not to participate. Anyone can participate, but in order to be eligible to win prizes, you'll have to get past a set post count.
That post count is what?

I still think

The idea of multiple contests and post requirements encourages activity and community involvement. Hosting a big blow out contest (like this) every few months or for special occasions make sense for frequent users and/or dedicated members by setting a heavy post requiements (No less than 750 since they happen so sparingly) and then smaller contests (amazon certificates, small cash prize, a game etc.) with low post requirement (<100) which will encourage people to join and be moderately active, but also give them a taste of bigger and better contests/rewards for being active in the community. This would be the ideal and best way to draw in members through contests from a community and business stand point. Think of it this way. A slice of pie leaves more to desire than giving someone a whole pie.
Is a legit idea. Even though I think it should be applied to this contest I still think this should be enacted ASAP after it, if not during. Aside the benefits that I mentioned above, it's a lot easier attracting members with a bunch of contests (even if they are for little things) to keep them hooked (for people that need to be atleast..) Not to mention I think I speak for the general populace when I say nobody likes being beaten out by someone that isn't, won't be, and never will be active on the forums. It's like, what's the point in participating if you're an active member? You give the forum something and the return is being on the same playing field as people who don't even care about the forum.

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Both of you are correct; the contest is made to celebrate our 6th anniversary, AS WELL as attract new members to contribute to BattleForums.com's growth.

Jenny, you hit the nail right on the head. Kind of. As you know, there are many new portal features available, and nearly all of them are integrated with their respective contests. This contest will drive traffic and drive activity, the future regularly-scheduled mini-contests will maintain this traffic and maintain this activity.

So no, there will not be a minimum post requirement. I was trying to separate the dedicated and non-dedicated members before (the 'Respected' usergroup remember?), but some people didn't bother applying ;).

- Donny

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Without post requirements what's the point in new members staying inbetween contests? I'm not threating over new members not registering, but them not staying when the contest is over. There's no reason too. The idea of a post requirement is to encourage members to stay and be active. Because by being active they'll generate content and post more so they can reap benefits of the contests. None stayed from the last contest is an example. Some may come back for this contest and new people will come, but if past repeats itself which it likely will, they will not stay.

Sure, the contests will give a spurt of traffic, but it won't remain constant because they won't remain active inbetween contests is my point. A post requirement will force them to be active if they want to benefit from the bonuses of being a dedicated and active member.

CloudStrife

Why so serious?
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
So no, there will not be a minimum post requirement.
o_O??

Without post requirements what's the point in new members staying inbetween contests? I'm not threating over new members not registering, but them not staying when the contest is over. There's no reason too. The idea of a post requirement is to encourage members to stay and be active. Because by being active they'll generate content and post more so they can reap benefits of the contests. None stayed from the last contest is an example. Some may come back for this contest and new people will come, but if past repeats itself which it likely will, they will not stay.

Sure, the contests will give a spurt of traffic, but it won't remain constant because they won't remain active inbetween contests is my point. A post requirement will force them to be active if they want to benefit from the bonuses of being a dedicated and active member.
I'm really trying to ignore your posts, but why do you always assume that these contests won't bring long term members? You have no evidence. With Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 coming out, it's possible that new members will stay. Hell, I know I'll be revisiting because of that. Just saying that proves your 'theory' wrong. :D

You're also assuming that this contest is the ONLY reason that new members will be signing up. Again, what if they are signing up because this is a SC, Diablo, WC forum? This contest may just be a plus for them.

How do you think people are going to be referred to this forum? "HEY DUDE! JOIN THIS FORUM! YOU CAN WIN FREE $#!%!" Yeah.. uhm.. I don't think that's too attractive. May as well go to www.winaps3.com

People will most likely be become interested from the fact that this place is a community of Blizzard fans that share strategies, maps, mods, etc. Which by the way, is the reason I joined this forum 5 years ago; a time when I was actually playing Blizzard games. I stopped playing them, hence the reason I stopped coming here.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I'm really trying to ignore your posts, but why do you always assume that these contests won't bring long term members? You have no evidence. With Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 coming out, it's possible that new members will stay. Hell, I know I'll be revisiting because of that. Just saying that proves your 'theory' wrong. :D

You're also assuming that this contest is the ONLY reason that new members will be signing up. Again, what if they are signing up because this is a SC, Diablo, WC forum? This contest may just be a plus for them.

The first contest failed to bring lasting members. I've repeated this countless times. It brought in members that joined solely to attend the contest. Infact 1st and/or second place was given to someone that didn't even have more than 25 posts and made no posts other than in the contest thread before, during, or after the contest.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are both years away. We had a SC2 section during the last contest. No hook. Some staying for these sections is possible, but that's a theory unbacked by evidence. No members stayed from the last contest and none stayed for the SC2 section.

I don't care if they're joining for the contests. You are not grasping (..again) that them joining to attend the contests does not generate posting or activity. It didn't last time and it won't this time unless theres some incentive to being an active member because you still get to reap the benefits. Instead a member can join, spam friend recruits around the net, win/lose the contest, and leave until they get emailed for the next one.

You really should start ignoring my posts. Because you apparently lack any sort of logic or intelligence on the issue at hand. You'll just proceed to embarass yourself even more than you did last time. You're just worried you might not get a chance to participate in this contest without, gasp, being active in the forums.

People will most likely be become interested from the fact that this place is a community of Blizzard fans that share strategies, maps, mods, etc. Which by the way, is the reason I joined this forum 5 years ago; a time when I was actually playing Blizzard games. I stopped playing them, hence the reason I stopped coming here.
They haven't been so far. If this was the case they'd be more interested in joining the forum and being a part of the community and wouldn't care if the contests had a post requirement. Because they would become active members and would eventually meet the requirements and enjoy the site as well as being able to reap the benefits of being an active and dedicated member.

Your desire to support your silly argument would work better if your last activity here wasn't trying to get us to support you in another contest on another site. It's very clear where your intentions lay when it comes to the forum. You're only active come contest time and you were active last time solely to whore yourself for a different contest. It's funny, because you're exactly what I'm pointing out is ineffective for long-term activity.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
Can we have like mini contests to get some points? like a small tourny for all the games we have here. I been planning one for a bit and if lenny moves his guys in here. if not then i guess we can go on without

Dragnskull

Retired Staff
Reaction score
How to Cure a Headache should never give you points for a contest on a primarly gaming forum. It's ****ing stupid, and all your posts basically was was "lol heres a buncha things I found on wikipedia for XXXXXX!"
u realize those iddnt give me a single point, do you not?

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
yes the info post: thing at the start gave you points

kinkarso

ex-admin
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Can we have like mini contests to get some points? like a small tourny for all the games we have here. I been planning one for a bit and if lenny moves his guys in here. if not then i guess we can go on without
yeah definitely. Talk to Chris about it though.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
ok im new here.

ok i got 1 post now, right? so is this already counted as one point for the contest? if yes then how can i top members with thousands of posts?

how about including other competition for the contest points? like making artworks, videos, wallpapers, etc.

just a note, i did not join here just for the contest, i love blizzard games and i already have accounts in multiple blizzard sites specially sc2 sites and forums. ive only seen this site just recently and i hope i will become a regular member soon. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.