Halo for pc

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
I don't think you can. Minimum proc speed is like 1 Ghz. Minimum graphics card is like 32 MB.

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
yah, apacalypse, you need to either [re]install those drivers or go to www.nvidia.com and dl the latest drivers.

umm, aragorn, i play on a modem at 42.6k and i dont lag....so i have no clue what you are talking about.

and halo for pc is NOT a straight port from xbox, the gearbox developers recoded everything and optimized it for pc. if you dont beleive me go to the developer site: www.gearboxsoftware.com and read all about it.

btw, bungie was the dev for xbox and gearbox is the dev for pc....shouldnt that give you a clue that they didnt just port it? if they simply ported it it would have been out a year ago.

and ill have you know, halo was originally going to be a pc game back in 2000, but MS decided to make it for their xbox(good thing too, or xbox never would have sold)

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by BH_Naft
yah, apacalypse, you need to either [re]install those drivers or go to www.nvidia.com and dl the latest drivers.

umm, aragorn, i play on a modem at 42.6k and i dont lag....so i have no clue what you are talking about.

and halo for pc is NOT a straight port from xbox, the gearbox developers recoded everything and optimized it for pc. if you dont beleive me go to the developer site: www.gearboxsoftware.com and read all about it.

btw, bungie was the dev for xbox and gearbox is the dev for pc....shouldnt that give you a clue that they didnt just port it? if they simply ported it it would have been out a year ago.

and ill have you know, halo was originally going to be a pc game back in 2000, but MS decided to make it for their xbox(good thing too, or xbox never would have sold)
I guess you have a different version of halo then, because yes, it does lag. Unless you don't know what lag is. It is possible it doesn't lag for you becuz you play on the Bungie Servers. They are a way emulate lag reduction without actually changing the code. The servers obviously are suped up like crazy, just to make an illusion that halo is not laggy.

However, if you even try to host on a LAN you will have problems. A dedicated server might fix the problems, but I have not tried that yet (and legally it doesn't exist ;)). Halo is a laggy game for PC, but almost only online. It isn't even fun over a lan because it is unfair. The host always wins, GG NO RE.

They spent quite a bit of time converting halo to PC. They wasted quite a bit of time or something, because any dev team could have produced better Netcode than they did, in the amount of time they had. They also didn't have a open beta...which pretty much seals the deal for Halo: Combat Evolved. Unless they make patches to fix the games lag, the game will die fast...

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well, i have never played halo lan before, but ill tell you this: it DOES NOT lag on net multiplayer, so people are still going to play it. and i dont play on bungie servers, i play on servers made by people with dsl/cable connections or t1s.

have you actually seen the netcode? do you REALLY know that it is the netcode at fault entirely and not some client end screwup? i highly doubt it. did you ever take into account that you are playing ripped copies, and therefore probably do not have the release patch, and may be suffering from some MS bullshit pirating hindrance?

but, you are entitled to your own opinion, so you can keep playing wc3 and i will play halo.

ApocalypseCOW

Member!
Reaction score

yo thanks i dled the latest driver now i can play it on 800X600 yay

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
well, i have never played halo lan before, but ill tell you this: it DOES NOT lag on net multiplayer, so people are still going to play it. and i dont play on bungie servers, i play on servers made by people with dsl/cable connections or t1s.

have you actually seen the netcode? do you REALLY know that it is the netcode at fault entirely and not some client end screwup? i highly doubt it. did you ever take into account that you are playing ripped copies, and therefore probably do not have the release patch, and may be suffering from some MS bullshit pirating hindrance?

but, you are entitled to your own opinion, so you can keep playing wc3 and i will play halo.
Lol, I have the latest version. Although hacked, that will have nothing to do with the games performance (since no game has anti hacking countermeasures). From my experiences I have had lag from Halo. More than other games anyways. It is worse than UT2K3 that is all I know. Over a lan you can host a UT2K3 game and no lag whatsoever, unless it is client lag (which has to do with the clients computer, instead of the server).

LOL, client screw up...hardly. It IS the netcode. Netcode is easily observed by how the game operates. For some reason it doesn't operate very well over lans, and even when hosted by Cable/DSL users. I was very dissapointed when I saw Halo: Combat Evolved for PC. Unless it shapes up, I will not invest hard earned money on such a sad developement...

It might just be competitive spirit. Me and my friends get very competitive, and to remain legitly competitive there must be NO lag. It is a lan for heavens sake....100MBS!!!! That is quicker than any Internet connection out there. Ignorance is bliss my friend. :p

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well first off, you didnt specify what kind of ripped, so i had to take in all accounts.

write your own netcode then, or edit theirs if you are so positive that is the problem.

hmm. couldnt be the competetive spirit, because i only know 2 people more competetive than me, and one had to take anger management and the other goes to army boot camps for fun every summer....

im still pretty confident that there is a high chance that the problem lies somewhere on your end, but, since im not having any problems, im not going to look into it.

and actually it may be only a 10 mb/s connection, and there is also the possibility that there are some problems with the network. have you played on different networks?

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
well first off, you didnt specify what kind of ripped, so i had to take in all accounts.

write your own netcode then, or edit theirs if you are so positive that is the problem.

hmm. couldnt be the competetive spirit, because i only know 2 people more competetive than me, and one had to take anger management and the other goes to army boot camps for fun every summer....

im still pretty confident that there is a high chance that the problem lies somewhere on your end, but, since im not having any problems, im not going to look into it.

and actually it may be only a 10 mb/s connection, and there is also the possibility that there are some problems with the network. have you played on different networks?
It could be our end...but that doesn't explain the internets lag. We have the latest patch so it should all work. We actually have a 16 port 100 Based T network system. There shouldn't be any problems with that.

I will just wait for the new patches before actually judging the game but so far I have had too many problems for it to be worth it. The lag makes competition impossible and therefore not fun....so I have decided to give up halo until a few patches come out...

BH_Naft

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
hmm, the internet doesnt really lag that bad at all, probably what they did with the netcode was sacrificed some pinpoint accuracy for overall low latency, for example when you pick up a weapon on a net game, it waits before actually picking up so as not to overload the packet rate at one time(with regards to modem users at least) there are probably many other areas in which they did similar things, and sniping accuracy might have been one of those....although one a LAN it doesnt compensate for those.....hmm, they wil lprobably fiddle with it in this and later patches and find out what works best. (im sure games like cs 1.0 -1.2 didnt have perfect netcode either...and the current netcode isnt so good for modems--in the way it does things(ie: accuracy is perfect, but you pay for it in overall latency, etc)
me, id much rather use weapons like rls and fuel rod cannons instead [of the sniper rifle] and not have to suffer from lag which would make me unable to snipe anyway.

np apocalypse.

Aragorn7

Member!
Reaction score
The newest patch has seemed to fix some latency issues. We were playing on V 1.1, which might have been why it lagged so bad. I have updated to 1.2 and have tested it a bit. It doesn't seem to lag as bad as 1.1, but I still haven't tested it with more than 2 players in a server. :p

V1.1 is horrible though, it was the worst POS netcode I have ever seen. Not being able to play very well over a lan is an example of that. Hopefully though 1.2 has fixed most of these problems.