Halo for PC!

Discussion in 'Game Talk' started by BH_Naft, Jul 17, 2003.

1. BH_Naft

BH_Naft Member!

California.
    This is a Public Service Announcement, made for the good of all mankind:

Halo for PC . . . .

For all of you who have played the XBOX hit (what I beleive to be the one game that made xbox successful) Halo, it will soon be coming out of the beloved PC, with two new weapons--a covenant grenade launcher, and a flamethrower--plus 3 "new" multiplayer vehicles--multiplayer available banshees and shades, and a warthog with mounted 3-barrel rocket launcher-- and 2+ additional levels! Not only is it Halo, but it is being converted by the Gearbox Software we all know and love from games like Half-life and Counter-Strike.

a quote from the official FAQ:

Interested? Visit www.gearboxsoftware.com/projects_halo.html for more information

2. AxL

AxL Buggin' Out

Boston, Mass. USA.
    Sweetness. Ill be buying that when it comes out :D.

3. Final Warrior

Final Warrior BattleForums Senior Member

In you, of course.
    So it's got multiplay... have you even considered the lag? First Try playing Morrowind on your PC. Notice how bad the graphics are (unless you have the RheddHeads mod). Notice the lag. I have a 128 MB NVIDIA video card (don't know what make). And there's still lag in towns. Now think about Halo game graphics. If your PC doesn't blow from the graphics overload, you are one lucky idiot (no offense). It's cheaper to get an XBox (retail price: $179) and Halo (retail price: $50). Than to get Halo for the PC and a new video card. And it is possible to play Halo online on the XBox. I just forgot how.

4. youwillbeowned

youwillbeowned Member!

I have Vaio SOny pc with nvidia too... And it sucks like crap.

5. D.F.I.

D.F.I. Member!

44 Francis St Marrickville Syd
    err....this is supposed to be in the entertainment forums......

6. BH_Naft

BH_Naft Member!

California.
    ok, first thing, if you are even thinking of playing fps games online without broadband, you should be rethinking. with broadband, there wont be lag problems.

i beg to differ. i have morrowind on a 64mb geforce 4 mx 440 (your card is likely a tl 4600, considerably better), and i can get infinitly better graphics with aa and af, and no frame rate problems(plus no damn reflective water). you obviously know little (no offense either) about computer graphics tweaking/etc. (or, you have very little ram(esp with Win XP))

7. amrtin77

amrtin77 BattleForums Senior Member

United States
    i used to play delta force land warrior and ghost recon on my 56k before i got cable and it was fine. ive never played morrowind on the internet, but im getting halo for computer when it comes out. internet games are a lot easier to use with a computer and i doub it will be too bad with graphics and lag.

8. AxL

AxL Buggin' Out

Boston, Mass. USA.
    If you have a 56k that may be why..

Anyway. Would you rather buy a system that you will only play one game on? Or will you buy a new video card that will help your computer alot. Hmm tough choice here.. NOT.

9. Final Warrior

In you, of course.
    Damn it, I have DSL! And I got reflective water. How come you don't? And I have real-time shadows on, too...

10. IDefy

IDefy BattleForums Senior Member

first im going to buy it

then im going to take the disk out

then im going to turn on the stove

then im going to watch it melt and laugh

edit: thats just a lame waste of money... so im just going to lite an empty box on fire and any store that decides to carry the items. cept EB

11. bamthedoc

bamthedoc King Endymion

North Carolina, USA
    Okay...

1 I'd only do that if someone were stupid enough to give me such a sorry game in the first place.
    2 Why waste money on it?
    3 Let's let the Halo fans have their fun. I'll stick to my games that actually have a real story to them.

This sounds like it would be another plus for the PC market and another minus for the XBox marked. I know I'm not going to buy it, let alone play it, but I do have a question. Will online be free? I only see online as worth it if it is free. I will play certain games online for a fee, but the are limited to these so far:

Phantasy Star Online (GC)
    Phantasy Star Online C.A.R.D. (GC)
    Star Wars: Galaxies (PC)
    Earth and Beyond (PC)

If you take note, those are all RPG.

In any case, my only addition to the actual topic at hand is the previously asked question:

12. Final Warrior

In you, of course.
    If you'd actually play Halo, you'd see quite a good story in it. There's also a book that precedes the game it called "The Rise of the" something. I can't remember the name. And the book also gives details on what Master Chief truely is... not just a Spartan 2 cyborg, but something else...

13. desroches

desroches Member!

Canada
    Meh... Not that big of a deal... I've played it for 60 hours + already. :D

14. bamthedoc

bamthedoc King Endymion

North Carolina, USA
    From what I've seen, Halo does have a storyline, not a good one. I've also heard from fans that the story mode is easier than beating a boss on GS with the Flash and Shade strat. Most only play it for the mindless bloodshed of the FPS mutlti-player. I don't like FPS in general because, for the most part, they have a dull, uninspired storyline. There is hardly any strat in an FPS, just go for the headshot form a safe location that few, if any, can see you from.

If you're wondering, I have played Halo on XBLive on a friends XBox. I fragged all the people on there twice before I was fragged. It was painfully easy to beat people as a complete newb to any map, and many of them were so-called "experts". Then again, that was 8-10 months ago when I played.

But you avoided my one and only question of concern.

15. bart

bart Member!

springfeild
    most of thge computers want be fast enough for halo and if it does go the web the it will lag even some the least graphic games lag like age of empires imange what halo will be like

16. TiberianSun

TiberianSun Member!

Zi
    i knew halo was comeing for pc a long timago BUT I CANT WAIT im so happy i dint buy an Xbox ps Nvidia Fx 5900 is the top of the line card not even radeons new cards beat it so if your buying a new card thats the one (get 256 ram on it and itl be a juce sucker) lol Halflife2 will Glide with it

17. <><CoRwIn><>

<><CoRwIn><> Member!

Huntsville, Alabama
    Ehm...

Not that hard to make a desicion not to buy this crap game. I played Halo on my friend's X-Box all the time, beat it around fourty-six times, then got bored of it. The only point of playing that game is listening to the satisfatory cry of Covenent death-screams.

The multiplayer won't have bots, but it will have new weapons and all that sort. PAH! Halo is far from a tactical standpoint, it makes you incredibly trigger-happy, and the only good way to play it is if there's a full tray of baddies waiting for you to blow em down.

The co-op mode of Halo was the only good multiplayer way to go. Which is far from saying "Oh, let's all get warm and fuzzy and kill all the bad guys together!" No, I'm talkin about making full use of the levels, going everything from getting your enemies to fire at your 'Friend', blasting them out of their banshees with anti-personel turrets and having boxing matches with elites (always fun to see who's last man standing)

If they don't want to put the new stuff in single-player/co-op, they might as well not release it, just make a multiplayer stand-alone to take down the price, especially if they're going to charge for internet multiplayer.

I'll be content waiting on Halo 2.

Personally, though, I don't believe games were made to have good storylines. I mean, hell, if the plot pulls you into it, so be it, but I really enjoy a game, like Halo, where it's the gameplay that actually makes it worthwhile.
    Then again, some games only survive because they have good storylines.
    word up.

18. BH_Naft

BH_Naft Member!

California.
    i havent played morrowind in a while, so im not sure what setting gives me real water, but i will check that out and get back to you.....
    your lag could be caused by slow/overloaded servers, esp if filled with people on dialup.

plus there is a difference between processer "lag" (framerate) and online "lag"(ping times)

bart, you must have like a 14.4k modem if age of empires is lagging. and any computer worth a name today can beat the xbox in quality (just not price)

the online for halo will be free....the only pc games you have to pay to play onling are mmo games (planetside, everquest, etc).
    yes, MMOrpg.

due to halo's gameplay type, killing 2 people before you die can be very easy. oftentimes when you come upon people there will be others fireing at them at the same time, killing half of them for you, but you get the last bullet(chances are the person youre shooting killed the other guy and didnt have enought health then to kill you). being a "good" player in halo means getting killtaculars(4 kills 5 secs apart) and killing sprees(5 w/o dying)(an expert player gets double kiltaculars(8 kills 5 secs apart and running riots(10 w/o dying), not killing 2 people before you die

im assuming the reason you all think they will charge for multiplayer is because of xbox live.....even with xbox live you dont pay for individual games(fps at least)(unless they are mmo's like phantasy star and SWG), you just pay 50 a year for the service.

i cant make any of you who hate halo like it any more, but to those of us who enjoy it, it is an excellent game, and we will welcome it to pc.

19. dice5_5

dice5_5 Member!

Halo for the PC....who cares. Halo was the only reason people got excited over the X-Box, and not that it's coming to PC what's the point of buying a X-Box???? All you X-Box lovers can sell your X-Boxes and games cause there's no reason to play it anymore.

X-Box :shoot