Get out of the D2 Mindset.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Seriously. I read through about 20 topics, and most of them are just additions to D2.

"What runes do you want in d3"
"What set unique rare and such weapons"
"What character classes with 3 trees"

Look at Diablo I, now look at Diablo II. See the difference? If Diablo III ever comes to be, chances are, it's going to be about the same (difference wise).

Honestly, 90% of the posts here can be summed up in one saying

"We want Diablo II with longer acts, better storyline, and new character classes, with even better uber equipment"

**** that, just revamp the whole system like they did with the 1 to 2 change

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
I'd like a more Dark Diablo. Maybe an improved Diablo I with Diablo II Mechanics or completely new mechanics so that it's a totally new experience for most people getting off olf their Diablo II Addiction Streak.

gyrextt

Reaction score
developed a generator for the equpiment. so they are endless.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You mean the ROG for rares? Oh, ok.

Induhvidual_1

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
well actually, i've got this idea of doing combos
like in a fighting game (ie soul calibur, MK, w/e is out there)

i mean instead of just saying I'm an orb sorc, i'm orb you to death and thats my only skill.
I think it'll be cool to be able to easily use combinations of spells and moves to defeat the opponent. with some combinations creating bonuses etc etc.

Garbonzo

Member!
Reaction score
sooo Induhvidual 1 u mean ud like to have an uber orb and lets say uber fireball soo u can say i can orb u or fire ball u to death? that would just make it to easy:/ id like for d3 to be scary more like d1 :) d2 was just well..bah..fun but not scary

L

Laharl

I'd like to see both RACE and CLASS, and gender also playing a role in a charactor's specific strengths/weaknesses. People may be high-minded about it all they want, but believe it or not the male body IS built for more upper body strength, and I'd like to see this reflected in charactors (based on gender).

Another thing is the race. For example: look at D&D, the "basic" races all have their strengths, weaknesses and are better at certain classes.

Also I'd like the big list of stats (heh) to be:

Strength (Str):
Dexterity (Dex):
Constitution (Con):
Intelligence (Int):
Wisdom (Wis):
Charisma (Cha):

Now. Specific spellcaster types (like druids, or cleric) would be based more off of wisdom. Charisma would help clerics a little. Intelligence would help some, wile wisdom others. Also, I'd like to see the ability to wear multiple rings (if existant).

Also, I HATE how stats are simply HUGE in number, gets to be very retarded. Make stats less common, but do MORE. Example: give a stat point every four levels (I like this) and make it about 20x better. You should learn a new "skill" every eight levels, get two skill points per level. (Highest skill should be learned at level 80, so there's a reason to advance past level 60 or so).

Race should also give a bonus/penalty to different stats, with the exclusion of the "human" race, which would have no benefits or drawbacks but will start off with a free skill point or two. Some of the races should gain a defense bonus, but a damage (melee) penalty for being smaller. They should also have a slower movement rate. Larger charators (like centaur, see another post in this area), would get a faster movement rate and the ability to do a "charge" attack without a mount.

I also think that stamina should be used instead of mp for a melee charactor's "spells", just for it to make more sense. I mean, they aren't really using spells, or magic are they? More common sense. Stamina would be added to by both Constitution and Dexterity.

All three of the final stat (Intelligence, Wisdom, Charisma) will add to mp to different degrees. Wisdom (Just to pick a stat) will also add to damage and reduce damage from spells. Their bonus' to mp will be as follows:

Intelligence: +40
Wisdom: +20
Charisma: +30

Charisma, naturally, will help the charactor in question interact with NPCs, and (with a HIGH charisma) get the charactor lower prices.

I spoke about races getting bonus'.

Elf: -2 constitution, +2 dexterity
Halfing: -2 strength, +2 dexterity
Orc: +4 strength, -4 intelligence, -4 charisma
Fairy: -4 strength, -4 constitution, +8 intelligence, +8 wisdom

That seems fairly balanced.

Male/Female bonuses:

Males should get a bonus to strength, females to constitution (statistically females have more pain resiliance). Let's make it +2 to each stat.

Please comment.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
No offence BFH, but that made me want to roll 2D20 and see what I get on a hit chart. It's too much like D&D. The stats I don't think that would be benificial to the game. However, your idea of giving bonuses/penalties have some merits. Your idea on lvling is basically the same thing as it is now, just a bit more drawn out. The whole idea of non human characters I love, but does not fit into the style of the game. The whole idea of Diablo is mankind(not the wrestler) saving the world from "evil" unhuman beings. Thowing different character races would blur this point. However, I do wish they had gender for some characters. The Paladin, and Barbarian must be Male, but a sorc could have a male counter of a Mage. Have a javalin Amazon, and a male Rouge counter. The assassin I can only see as a female character, but a Druid could be both sexes, as well as the Necromancer IMO of course.

My big issue with Diablo2 is that the whole game in general has been tainted with these runewords, and leet gear. To me I think it kind of ruins the game, no one wants magical items, or rares. Bring D3 back to it's primal nature, of use what you can find, and trade to defeat evil. No more of this Runeword stuff. I admitt, runewords, I got a bunch of them, but, without them, you are nothing in the game. That is my problem. You have to have them now just to keep up.

As stated previously, I would also love a "darker" D3. Maybe something like being on the brink of loosing to evil, no more daylight, and tons of new, and old monsters, but more of a mass at a time. I would like to see something of a better game structure, like not being able to kill players in a game unless somehow stated. Maybe have a preset when creting a game to toggle on/off character killing. Also a more of an interactive inviornment. Maybe have things that can be opened more, able to go up and down areas, ect. I have an image in my head of a battle that takes place on top of a tower, but you need to go up a circular stair case to get their, or maybe a wooden bridge that, is suspended between two trees high in the air. That when you step forward, it shakes, and makes waves. Maybe even rolling fog in the foreground would be nice. But these are just my thoughts.

As of skills, I would like to see a standard male/female character with some minor preset skills, but, can use scrolls, to use major skills instead of a "skill tree" That can be found, and/or bought from merchants. This IMO, would clear up the cookie cutter build argument. Gear could have both positive and negative effects depending on weight, type, strength to use it ect. I don't know, guess we have to wait and see if/and when Diablo 3 ever comes out.

EDIT: as an afterthought, maybe their could be a act where you could go to another plain to fight a boss character, and depending on what skills and character you use, you could become an elf, minitor, ect. That would please everyone a bit, because you could have you standard human, that become non humans.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
XxSworn_EnemyxX said:
My big issue with Diablo2 is that the whole game in general has been tainted with these runewords, and leet gear. To me I think it kind of ruins the game, no one wants magical items, or rares. Bring D3 back to it's primal nature, of use what you can find, and trade to defeat evil. No more of this Runeword stuff. I admitt, runewords, I got a bunch of them, but, without them, you are nothing in the game. That is my problem. You have to have them now just to keep up.
Bring back Pre LOD D2.

L

Laharl

No offense taken, Sworn. I just posted that because I am a _HUGE_ fan of dnd, and I think, IMHO, that that change would be decent. Also, I feel that runewords should be eliminated, at least the big powerful ones like Enigma, etc.

Note: I like the edit.