Frozen Orb / Firewall Sorc???

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Any of you guys ever try a Frozen Orb / Firewall Sorc? (for PvM)

I'm tired of the Meteors and Fireballs, plus they need too many points to max and synergize when I want to max Frozen Orb 1st anyway. Obviously, the plan is to cast orbs, static field, and the occasional firewall on stationary monsters. The end result of skill points looks something like this...

frozen orb = 20
ice bolt = 20
cold mastery = 20
cold pre-req's = 4
firewall = 20
fire mastery = 20
warmth = 1
fire pre-req's = 2
static field = 1
teleport = 1
lightning pre-req's = 1

total pts = 110

What about cold immunes?! I'll have a good merc and play in a party.

Any thoughts?

Mongyu

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.Myspace.Com
It could work

Mr.Sloth

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
sounds good... but the fo dmg would be so low....

y not just blizzard firewall. and u USE spare pts for fire mastery

life_source

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
i highly doubt you'll be able to get to level 99 to make the full use of this build.

other then that, it looks just like a normal fo sorc with a secondary element to back you up.

if you do go about building this, max bolt, orb, put around ten into cold mastery, firewall, fire mastery, then the rest back into cold mastery. this way you have a strong fo, while keeping your firewall in a decent damage range.

just use a act 2 defiance merc with good armor/weapon and you'll be fine for cold/fire immunes.

and once again, max cold mastery last. if you max it before you max your fire skills your firewall might be too weak.

Induhvidual_1

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
tryin to be original eh?
unfortunately this build, i can predict you'll be using frozen orb more than you'll be using firewall, which can probably do around 3-3.5k without gcs and facets which renders firewall near useless.

this is almost just like that frozen orb/ thunderstorm build where thunderstorm becomes useless in the end (it barely fazes the enemy) and I even think Thunderstorm is better than firewall since you don't have to aim it.

with optimal gear, infinity, fathom, nightwings, spirit, coh, maras, arachnids, treks, sojs and all that great stuff you really don't need a second element

this is not saying that the build wouldn't work but I suggest using your skill points into things that are more useful

like even shiver armor, seriusly consider maxing this out cuz you'll have alot of pts leftover if you don't put any into firewall orfiremastery

and if you go all cold gcs, your shiver armor will give you nice defence

furthermore, warmth is also good to max if you are orb and even energy shiild should be considered...

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! I never said this was some original build, just asking if anyone has tried it. As far as the firewall damage, remeber that it's "per second" and it stacks, so it's better than has been suggested.

During regular play, firewall has limited uses since most of the time monsters just run by it, only taking the damage for 1 second. However, I'm assuming that half the time I'll be doing Baal runs or Uber Trist runs. Firewall is generally great on Bosses as they don't move around as much. Like I said, I'll be playing in parties, meaning there will be some tanks to ensure my firewalls stay under them. Plus, I can setup some firewalls where the next pack on Minions will spawn.

I think firewall works nice here cuz it's damaging them while I cast frozen orbs. When you're meteorb or fireball/orb, it's 1 at a time while you switch back and forth.

I agree with the idea of getting firewall/firemastery going well before cold mastery is maxed. Good ideas!

life_source

BattleForums Member
Reaction score
oh god... warmth...

one problem you might have trouble overcoming is mana consumption. with all your skill points going into damaging skills, your not going to have any room for warmth. you'll need a huge base mana pool, so either load up on energy (not recommended) or gets tons of gear that add to mana (hard to do)

its still a viable build, just might be hard to make it work for an elongated period of time because of mana consumption.

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Luckily, the townsfolk and I have come to an agreement where they'll sell me mana potions in exchange for some gold. ;)

I have no problem keeping 2 belt slots for full rejuv's and the other 2 for mana pot's. Also, the +skills should give a decent warmth. Not to mention I'm not wearing godly gear yet, so eth runes, p skulls, p saphires, and the like shall be utilized.

I'm lvl 27 now and have a Leaf staff on an item which had +2 to firewall already. That gives me +5 firewall and +6 warmth just from that lowly staff.

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Why not? Cold Mastery doesn't have diminshing returns at high levels. After 1 point, it's always -5% more... making the orb deisel.

Unless of course I'm partied with conviction and lower resist, and only a few points in cold mastery are needed to get the monster at -100% cold resistence. But can't count on that. Which reminds me, I need to find a wand with lower resist charges on my switch.

I don't need the cold armours since I plan on staying far out of melee range... but should I invest a point in energy shield?

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
I used FO and Firewall in 1.08, it rocked against Meph

Now I found out that, that sorc couldnt do shit in 1.10, so I just made new sorc, called, N_BLIZZ