For those who have not played a MMPORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathiuas

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Let me preface this post with the fact that I just discovered these forums while trolling for WoW info. So in effect I am a newb to this forum. What I am posting below is open to flames if you feel so inclined ;-)

From the messages I am reading in this forum I am a little concerned that the vast majority of people posting here have little if any experience with online role playing games. I want to make a few points here that may or may not have been considered by those reading these forums.

1. Yes there is a monthly fee for subscription. Usually between $10-15 US. This pays for Hardware maintenance, bug fixes, In game customer support, new storyline development (i.e. development of new quests etc within the existing game). There are quite a few more places where the monthly fees go but these are a few of the more important one.

2. There is more accountability for your actions in this type of game that there was within bnet. If you make an ass of yourself in a MMPORPG you will develop a reputation and things can get ugly as it spreads across the server. I have seen people black balled from guilds and servers for bad behavior ;-)

3. No cheats, dupes or hacks....if you get caught your account is locked or in cases of extreme situations deleted. Since this is a moderated game unlike bnet the Game moderators arent gonna put up with anyone monkeying with their code ;-)

4. In all the other MMPORPG's I have ever been in the High level end game will most likely require cooperation by many players to attack and defeat the boss mobs at higher levels...so see #2 ;-)

5. The world is dynamic and dependent upon player interactions. You will "grow up" with players around your level and the game is more about a "community" than it is about soloing. This may be different in WoW than it was in other games of this genre but no matter how easy it was to solo at lower levels once you get up to a certain plateau you will pretty much be required to group in order to succeed at anything...quests, monster encounters, etc...

This is all speculation. WoW may prove me wrong BUT I cannot see a game of this magnitude and scope being succesful without taking least some of these to heart.

I am excited to see Blizzard venture into this realm.....see you all online ;-)

Mathiuas Mandarollan
Druid of the 50th ring
MLF server DaoC

Mathius Soulbasher
Cleric of the 57th season
Tunare server EQ

NeverGoingBack

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
welcome the forums for one

nice insight a very good description of things to come basicaly it like playing a game of D&D with visuals, but on a way higher level of particapants

it should be awesome i feel bad for the wc3 fans in here that wont be playing they really will be missing out

Mathiuas

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
It will be a totally different experience for many. I have a ton of friends who are still playing Daoc, Shadowbane (bleh),Galaxies and EQ who are champing at the bit to get into WoW.

Also have a friend who is a programmer who got accepted into the Beta for WoW so you can bet I will be peering intently over his shoulder many a night to get a first hand look at the game;-)

All in all I am more excited about this game than any I have been in a long time.

June seems like LOOOOONG time to wait tho ;-(

Status
Not open for further replies.