For any Mages tanking Krosh Firehand...

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Thought I'd just post this up as reference for any other Mages that want some advice on tanking the guy. Can't hurt BF if someone happens to google this thread either. ;)

-------------------------------------------------

I'm probably going to tank Krosh tomorrow, I got gear that gives me about 9.5k HP, plus buffs it'll be allrite, and 8.5k mana because I'm arcane.

Just want to know how exactly can I manage to keep his aggro. Just scorch him, and SPellsteal when needed? Or I only have to wand him, etc.

Cheers, and I hope you do respond this time, I actually need to know :&
The initial pull is everything with the fight. You need to be up front, and ready to hit the guy from the get-go or someone in the raid's going to drop.

The trickiest thing about the initial pull is if you don't fireblast him, or do something to get his attention immediately, he's going to start casting fireball on someone with agro in the raid. Because he's immune to counterspell, he's going to complete that fireball, and nuke a random raid member for 9k damage, so again, you need to be Jonny-on-the-spot with hitting him as fast as possible, but not so fast that you pull agro on ALL of the bosses.

After the initial pull, Scorch is a very mana-efficient spell, that's fine to use and causes enough threat to keep him focused on you. Just make sure you don't have Blessing of Salvation though. :p

After the initial pull, if you have Ventrilo, you need to call out to your designated healer (Yes, a healer should be assigned to you specifically), when your Buff you spellsteal is going to wear off. Typically I give them a 7-8 second warning. The main reason for this being sometimes there'll be times when your buff will wear off, but Krosh will still be casting a Fireball. When this happens, you will get nuked for about 8k fire damage. Typically I'll just call out on Vent "Nuke on Cort in 8 seconds", which will give my healers enough time to top me off, and be alert when I take that hit.

Your biggest concern for this entire fight is knowing when your buff is going to wear off, and making sure you spellsteal it off him as soon as he casts it again! If you die, raid members are going to start dieing one by one every 3 seconds.

Save Fire Ward for when those nukes happen to help out your healer, pop a Mana Gem once you hit 80% mana initially to keep those on cooldown and save your mana, and stay out of range of his Blast Waves and you should be fine. When everything goes according to plan, you should be only getting hit for about 2k fire damage, which is easy for any healer to keep up with.

Hope this helps. ;)

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
A lot of the people in the mage community are crying over how hard this is, and saying how you need 12k+ hp just to do it.

My brother did it on his mage with 9.1k HP, without using any consumables or changing out his gear much ( I think he threw on some "of stamina" pants with clefthide thing, giving him an extra ~+110stam from the pants) and he does it fine with a pally spot healing him.

Like CoRt said, the MOST IMPORTANT THING (other than grabbing the initial aggro, that is) is knowing when your buff is about to run out. It's not a hard fight at all, once you understand how to do it.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
To be honest, I asked how would I keep his aggro, not how I would pull him or tank him. I mean, I never tanked, I always had to be careful not to overaggro, now I have to always overaggro without my most powerful spells. That's my concern :p

I've killed Maulgar three or four times already, always paying attention to the other mage tank, so I think I can manage.

But yeah, I guess scorch can do the job, when the other ranged get to the mage I should already have accumulated plenty of aggro as is.

Btw, I was going to use PoM Pyroblast (not AP, too mana expensive) for the pull, since I don't have the Flame Throwing talent (so my FB range is only 20 yards), but it might not get there in time.

Ah well we'll just wipe once or twice till I get it right.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
PoM Pyro doesn't always work. Since Pyroblast takes a second or two to reach it's target, someone else can (And has before) get the immediate aggro and Krosh will start casting a fireball before your pyroblast hits him.

PoM Scorch for the pull, imoz.

EDIT: Bah, Sean beat me to it. Get online imoz.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
PoM Pyro doesn't always work. Since Pyroblast takes a second or two to reach it's target, someone else can (And has before) get the immediate aggro and Krosh will start casting a fireball before your pyroblast hits him.

PoM Scorch for the pull, imoz.
LOLREDUNDANCY!

And quoted in case you try to edit your shit! BWAHAHAHA

Pie

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
God, I wish all mages took time to read shit like this. Do you know how hard it is to solo heal a mage tanking Krosh who doesn't know his ass from his elbow about the fight? I think there was one case where the mage ate 4 fireballs for like 8k each before he got his shit together.

Didn't they recently nerf his fire damage?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah, the fact that Pyro/Fireball have to travel to hit their target, you probably won't hit him fast enough. Fireblast or PoM Scorch should work fine to initially get his attention though.

Oh, and you might want to invest in Spell Penetration gear. He resists a lot, including Spellsteal. :(
Spell penetration or spell hit rating?

Silly me, I said I had around 9.5k because I had fort back then ><

But still, if you're wondering, these are my stats with that tanking gear I managed to get, self-buffed:

8983 health, 7136 mana, 46 hit rating, 10 penetration (can use a +30 penetration pot), 57 Fire Resistance. Not very good, but I never really thought I would have to do it :p (oh, and 227 spirit. Lots of gear I got is stamina + spirit)...

But with buffs and crap I think it will do the trick. Our healers are fine.

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
From what I've seen, it seems like lately even when the spellstolen buff wears off, and he's still casting (thus hasn't renewed his damage reducing buff), I still only take 2k damage rather than the full amount.

Strange, but I still give my healers a warning regardless to make sure I'm not the cause of a wipe. ;)

And you're right Tronga, +hit, not Penetration. I was playing Day of Defeat when I typed that reply. :(

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
RyanXmate, last time I saw your mage, he was in the middle of some Ogres in Feralas I think. I nearly died just for logging him in.

Still, logged him out in there, since I guess you had put him there for a reason :p

--Edit--

Oh, yeah, one more thing: How exactly do I position him? I mean, he's ranged, can I get out of range? I have my spot, etc, but does he also has LoS? I've seen him fire balls trough the wall (might have been lag of course).

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I see. So I need to go to the spot I want him to be, and wait, then move quickly as he'll probably cast his Blast Wave too.

Btw, coRt, dunno if you have it, but I'd advise you to get this trinket, easy to get, and quite useful for that fight methinks.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
You should just be able to spam scorch and spellsteal and your aggro should be fine. So should your mana if you're arc/fire and eating your gems at 80%

coRtALoS

-=[ Retired BF Admin ]=-
Reaction score
Website
www.BattleForums.com
Don't remember which thread you mentioned it in Manuel, but that Speedy mod pissed me off like the 17th time it proc'd.

Well, actually it got annoying after the 3rd time it went off, just took me 14 more times before I got off my lazy ass and removed it. Sorry man, but when you're AoE farming stuff, and constantly getting hit, that music really starts to piss you off when you're trying to mello out to some trance/techno. :p

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Bah, you just suck. God I love that song :p

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
I want a mod that plays black metal everytime I go into shadowform... It just feel so right.
HURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH
(This isn't a joke the guy screams for 18 seconds)

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
So we killed him.

Freaking easy, this guide is not needed :O