Flaming_Newbie's Necro Summoner Guide

Flaming_Newbie

Member!
Reaction score
Flaming_Newbie's Summoner Guide

Before I begin, if you think that decripfy is better than amp on crowds... get out. Because of its TINY radius and short duration, you be constantly casting it instead of doing other things (i.e. not dieing). Also, decripfy only makes the monster take +50% damage compared to amp’s +100%. As for slowing monsters… you really don’t need it, your skellys can stay alive for a long time.

Also a note on lag: Summoners don't lag as much as people think, revives are the major source of lag. In the previous patches, because skellys generally sucked, most summoners use revives as their main summon. Now with 40+ revives running around THAT will create some lag. So keep in mind to keep your revives to a minimum.

Skill Distribution

Skeleton Mastery: 20
This skill is your hidden helper. It improves the damage of your skellys, magi, and revives.

Raise Skeleton: 20
This is your main damage dealing skill. Skellys own in all difficulty levels unlike in 1.09, they hit often and kill fast, and stay alive. :)

Raise Skeletal Mage: 20
These are a ranged version of the skelly. When they are summoned they randomly get (you can't choose) 1 of 4 elements that they shoot: fire, cold, lightning, and posion. These babys can spit out some serious damage at high lvls so it’s worth it.

Everything else in the Summon tab: 1
Yes, I know your thinking, "1?!? wtf, you don't max revives or a even a GOLEM?!?!". Yes that’s right, because your main damage dealing skill is skellys so you don't really need to max a golem. As for revives, its hard to keep alive more than 20 revives at a time because they have a little over a 2 minute time limit before they die. And as I mentioned before, revives cause lots of lag.

Amplify Damage: 1
This will help out your skellys by DOUBLING the physical damage the monsters take.

Bone Armor: 1
Even with one skill point, this can mean the difference between dieing and living.

Corpse Explosion: 1
This is the ultimate crowd control skill. Very useful if you wanna help your summons along.

Total points: 72

Now... wondering what to do with the rest of your points? Here you have several options. 1) you can max out bone spear/spirit to do some damage while your summons fight. 2) max bone armor and work on its synergies 3) get some more curses (confusion comes to mind) 4) or max a golem (useless in my opinion, but hey its your char)

Stat Distribution

Strength: varies
Depending on your equipment you may need more or less strength. Just remember, don’t pump ur your strength at lvl 61 to wear trang belt when you have enigma in stash waiting for you at lvl 65.

Dexterity: none, 75, or max block
With dex you can do 3 things. You can leave it at base, which will be bad for blocking but more for life. You can put into dex till 75 with gear bonuses in case you plan on using wiz spike to teleport. Or you can go for max block to keep those attacks from even reaching your health. I suggest leaving it at base to leave more for vit.

Vitality: the rest
Put your points here. This will keep you from dieing. Kinda makes sense, don’t it?

Energy: 60 or none
Here you can put points into it or if you don’t want to you don’t have to. Just keep in mind that at high levels, skellys cost 50 mana EACH to summon. And you use Teleport it can also drain your mana orb very fast.

Mercenary ]

Your merc is a very important part of this build. Of course the one you should get is the might merc, the offensive merc in Act 2 Nightmare.

Gear for your merc:
Helmet: Guilliaume’s Face, Orphans set (good for crushing blow) or Perf eth gaze
Armor: Bramble (your summons get thorns) or Duriel’s shell (can’t be frozen, resists) or Perf Eth Shaft
Weapon: Eth Bonehew with 2xAmn runes
DON’T use doom, this really helps in shattering monsters which is bad for summoners.

The Gear
Im gonna organize this in 3 gear sets, poor, rich, and trang. I wouldn’t recommend using trang because there is a bug with the cast speed so it’s VERY slow with casting (not that you really need a fast cast rate). Trang is just a fun way to play this build.

Poor
Helmet: Shako (socket with um)
Armor: Skin of the Viper Magi
Belt: Glooms Trap
Gloves: Trang gloves
Boots: Silkweave
Amulet: +1 to all skills
Rings: 2xSOJ
Shield: Homunculus
Wand: Arm of King Leoric

Rich
Helemet: +3 summoning skills with life/resits/fhr (socket with um)
Armor: Enigma
Belt: Trangs belt
Gloves: Trang gloves
Boots: Marrow Walks
Amulet: Maras or +3 to summon skills amulet.
Rings: 2xSOJ or 2xBK ring
Shield: Homunculus (socket with um)
Weapon: Arm of King Leoric*
Weapon II: CTA+ Lidless
Inventory: 10xsummon gcs with FHR or life, and small charms with fhr/life/resists and Anni

**NOTE** Im sure someone will say “WTF?!? King Leoric suxOrz! Hoto iz pwnzOr!!†Well its not. Just look at the wand, you get total, +5 to skelly mastery +5 to raise skelly and +4 to magi. THESE are your main damage dealing skills, so +3 to all skills won’t make a difference (it will actually make you cause LESS damage). But it is good to have a hoto in the stash for those situations when high resist is needed.

Trang
Full Trang Set
Weapon: Arm of King Leoric
Boots: Marrow Walks
Amulet: Maras or +3 to summon skills amulet.
Rings: 2xSOJ or 2xBK ring
Inventory: 10xsummon gcs with FHR or life, and small charms with fhr/life/resists and Anni

Strategy

A summoner can solo ANY part of the game with just his minions. Even the bosses are no match for him. This is strictly a PvM build. If you try to duel with this, you WILL be pwned VERY fast. Also, NEVER EVER EVER go into the Arcane Sanctuary or the Maggot Lair. You will die fast.

Remember, revives cause lag so keep them at a low number. And if your gonna revives something make sure its ranged and not melee. If you revives lots of melee monsters they will just get in the way of your skellys, and your skellys do the most damage.

Non-Teleporting Strategy
With your army, walk toward a group of enemies. When the skellys start to attack the monsters, cast amp to cover every single monster. Summon new monsters as needed. Rinse and repeat!
For a boss get as many revives as you can. you need to walk toward him and right past them until your skellys reach the boss. As they are fighting, cast amp and watch him die.

Teleporting Strategy
DON’T teleport into crowds of enemies. This will mean certain death for you. Teleport to the side of a crowd and let your skellys attack. While they keep the monsters busy, cast amp and resummon as necessary.
For a boss get many revives. After this just teleport ON the boss and walk out of his reach. Cast amp. He will die in no time.

**NOTE** When you use “big†revives (i.e. venom lords or gargantum beasts) and teleport, your revives will get “stuck†inside the monster. They won’t budge and will stay clumped in one spot. The can be useful for boss fights and when you are dealing with a small amount of monsters.

This is just a general guide to making a summoner, there are many things you can change about this and still make a great char.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
This guide isn't bad, but what about the might merc?

Flaming_Newbie

Member!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Flaming_Newbie
Flaming_Newbie's Summoner Guide

Mercenary ]

Your merc is a very important part of this build. Of course the one you should get is the might merc, the offensive merc in Act 2 Nightmare.

Gear for your merc:
Helmet: Guilliaume’s Face, Orphans set (good for crushing blow) or Perf eth gaze
Armor: Bramble (your summons get thorns) or Duriel’s shell (can’t be frozen, resists) or Perf Eth Shaft
Weapon: Eth Bonehew with 2xAmn runes
DON’T use doom, this really helps in shattering monsters which is bad for summoners.
its right there in the guide >_<

Weeeman02

Member!
Reaction score
Not a bad little guide...seems like alot of fun...never had a summoner.....might try it out after I finish my zon.

Kao

Drives an Evo IX ;)
Reaction score
Hah, I missed that party. Damn!

Flaming_Newbie

Member!
Reaction score
Yes, this is a very fun build... epecially if you use trangs. You can be the Overlord of the Undead :p

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
I wanna try.....you got a zonfire version of it?

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gamerz-lounge.com
Meh, it adds a lot to the guide if I can test it :D. But whatever.

Flaming_Newbie

Member!
Reaction score
k here it is. my sigle player verson of the summon necro. I couldn't get the stat on lvl attributes right so they are a little messed. i also omitted usless mods i.e. +60 def.

drax

Member!
Reaction score
This will be my next char after my blizz sorc and hammerdin.

And once I get a new comp.

djnat

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
djnat.deviantart.com
There are some comments to make to try to improve this build.

1) In the "rich" gear, you suggest Enigma, so you are going to teleport a lot. With your Enigma gear, you have only 30% fast cast (10 leoric + 20 trang gloves) that isn't so good for teleport. I would use a different gear with enigma:

Shako [Um]
Boneflame +3 [Um]
Mara (or Amulet +3 summons + xx life with xx > 80)
HotO flail
Enigma Breast plate
2x SoJ
Trang gloves
Arachnid mesh
Marrowwalks +2

With Cta / Lidless in switch. You have 80 fast cast with this gear, that is fine if you are really going to make good teleports.

PS: Bul ring sucks when compared to SoJ.

2) In the mercenary gear, suggest an ethereal Arioc's Needle as the best choice. It has up to +4 to all skills which increases Merc's aura by 4 levels, thus making your skeletons do more damage. And if eth, it has very good damage, it has also ITD and deadly strike.
And gaze > Guillaume's face.

Personally, I would use, on a summoner's merc:

- Eth Arioc's needle [Amn]
- Eth Andariel's visage [Ral]
- Upgraded Shaftstop [Um]

This is imho the best compromise to make a good tank with high might aura (+6), 30% dr, high damage, maxed resists @ high levels, and 15-17% life leech.

3) If you are not going to catch the cast rate bp for teleport, I think that a good "White" wand can be better than Leoric, especially if you're going to make a "Hybrid" summoner and use some skills of the P/B tree. Personally, I used the wand that you can see below in the post, in my non-teleporting necro in 1st Ladder season. But it's your choice.

4) Also keep in mind that, whether you're going to teleport or not, you need to have 75% lit res in hell, or you would be easily pwned by Souls.

About the rest it's a nice guide. ;)

Flaming_Newbie

Member!
Reaction score
thanx for the tips nat. Trust me, your not gonne be teleing "fast" with 30+ minions going with you, so fast cast won't really matter. When you try to tele fast you go all over the place (because of lag). You have to tele about once every 2 seconds or it would be faster to walk. I just have a wiz spike in the stash when i need to tele fast with few minions (i.e. baal runs). Also, if you just stay out of the way, your skellys will pwn souls in 1.3 seconds. :p

I also just relized something.... you can put your stat points ANYWHERE. My current necro has 60 strength 60 dex 100 vit and 60 energy in act 5 HELL. He has 155 stat points unused, and he almost never dies (when i do die its cause i teled into a crowd). So max block might not be a bad idea.

Also on Guillaume's face, crushing blow works wonders on bosses. Its a melee version of static field so it cuts the time it takes to kill bosses in half.

For the white wand.. i don't know if you know but +4 to skelly mastery is the only thing that would help a summoner.... that wand had +3 to mastery and +3 to summon skelly before the runeword.

On the merc... i didn't know that you could raise a merc's might lvl. That would defianatly be better ^_^

EDIT: AHHHH! how could i have forgotten arach? of course us that if you have it ^_^

djnat

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Website
djnat.deviantart.com
Yes, you obviously have to make the White runeword on a good "base" wand; if you are a pure summoner, you have to search for a godly wand with +3 to skeletons, mastery and mages (very difficult to find it); if you are an "hybrid" necro, the best would probably be a wand with +3 to mastery, spear and spirit (or skeletons)... there are tons of decent wands to make that runeword. ;)

About the max block, it's advised to pump up dex for it only if you use Homunculus or Storm (these are the common options for shields on a necro, cuz they have high block percentage). Otherwise, keep dex base or min for gear. :)

SweatyOgre

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a question for everyone concerning summoners. I have a kick ass new comp, but 56k, if I made one, would I lag? I know that on my old comp I'd lag if there was anyone in the game who was a summoner, but idk if my comp or the fact that it'll be me playing it will make me not lag while I'm playing a summoner.

Flaming_Newbie

Member!
Reaction score
i have a 56k (that connects at 36 >_<) and i don't lag enough to stop me from playing my summoner. Like i said in the guide, revives are the main source of lag with summoners.

drax

Member!
Reaction score
I have 26.4k, beat that!

Hey, would it be okay to dump a few points into revive, like for hell baal and shit, but not enough to make you lag like hell?