Finding High runes

Lytexs

Reaction score
Hello, ive been doing tons of runes in every where the "best places to mf" thread said to do.. and yet got a higher rune then um.
I would like to know where is the best place to find high runes such as vex or higher..

Lytexs

Reaction score
Infect river and chaos are the ones i do the most... u know diablo and all.
thought in my 2-3 years of playing diablo 2 exp i have never and i mean never came across a high rune besides from hf..( old versions).
i think ive done more then 3000 runes alone of most bosses and high drops places not to mention the times ive done baal runs and just helped ppl..
i just think im trying at the wrong places

Darkness8

Member!
Reaction score
ya come to think about it ive never gotten any thing higher than a lum just running maybe act 2 drops em.

OneEliteMof0

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
(Not counting Ist or below)

I have played D2 4.5 years. Highest rune I have ever found was ohm(Meph) while using 1.09 meph bot. Besides that next was Gul(Hellforge).

The ohm was found while even u sing 1.09 mephbot. Figure on average it did 1 run every 60 seconds. that would be 60 runs an hour, X 12 hours a day.

Comes out to about 720 runs a day. I probably ran this 20 days a month, which gives me about 14,400 runs a month. I ran this bot for well over 6 months giving me in the neighborhood of 86,400 runs. Out of all those, only one was a high rune (Not counting ist or below).

Highrunes are not going to drop from monsters too often. I am not saying my odds are actual drop rates for a highrune, but by looking at them, i found 1 rune after 86,400 runs.

Besides, you can go MF'ing, but there is no such thing as rune hunting (Besides countress, or forge). Any other rune that drops is pure random.

Guru

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
other than hellforge, which gives you the best chance to find a rune up to gul, hell countess is the best place to find up to Lo. But the chances Lo will drop are still slim to none, and slim just left town. Don't waste your time trying to find a hr, chances are its never going to happen. Most people will never see a hr drop, and youre just wasting your time looking for one.

Darkness8

Member!
Reaction score
i didnt think you could do the high rune thing in the cube i thought it stoped after a certain rune.

Induhvidual_1

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Darkness8 said:
i didnt think you could do the high rune thing in the cube i thought it stoped after a certain rune.
that's only true in non-ladder i believe

and the best way to find high runes is do a bunch of mf runs where there are a bunch of high lvl monsters too kill.

OneEliteMof0

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Based on item rarity (Not stats/effect/overall likeness) You have a better chance finding 2 Windforces before a high rune above gul.

There really is no "Rune Hunting" except for hellforge/countress. Other than those two places, it is going to happen to you by pure luck. Since (Other than those two places) you are not guaranteed any rune will drop. But are guaranteed items will drop.

Besides 1.11 items, I have found basically every uniqe item in the game. Only item I can think of (I'm sure this isn't the only one) that I know for a fact I have not found would be tyreals armor. Also just remembered never finding Death Fathom.

Iv found three Griffons eye's. Around 7-8 windforces, Well over 15 spiderweb sashs. A handfull of mara's ammy's (Under 7 id guess),probably around the same number for sojs. Approximatly 8 or so Tals armor's, and somewhere 3-5 of each of the grisswold set(Obviously meaning all but the armor) which are some of the not so common droped items. (Note, I ran bots in 1.09 and 1.10.
Common items would be included as like shako,Stormshield, Shaftstop, Skullders, Wizspike and things of that sort which Iv found more than I'm willing to take a guess upon.

After all that, I have found 1 rune above gul (Having the monster drop it) which was OHM (from Meph). Not to say people havn't found more High runes than I have rare items. But going off my example, you should see that by doing MF runs, you could trade the drops and get more runes, than waiting for a HR to drop.

Iv gotten numerious Um/Ists from monsters. But above gul, only that one.
If your on ladder, kill countress + upgrade. Mf + trade.

If your going for all "Legit" your not going to have an enigma for a long long LOOOOOOOOONG time.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Induhvidual_1 said:
that's only true in non-ladder i believe.
Oops forgot, I always played ladder, my bad. Yes NL can only go up so high (forgot exact cutoff, think it's all low runes)

In anycase, go mf for items, then trade them for profit on other items or runes. That is the only real way to get ahead in D2, besides bying from ebay (which is a BIG waiste of time IMO)

Shadow-Hunter

Member!
Reaction score
XxSworn_EnemyxX said:
Oops forgot, I always played ladder, my bad. Yes NL can only go up so high (forgot exact cutoff, think it's all low runes)

In anycase, go mf for items, then trade them for profit on other items or runes. That is the only real way to get ahead in D2, besides bying from ebay (which is a BIG waiste of time IMO)
How can E-baying be waste of time? you can get around 40 sojs in no time... The think about E-baying is that its waste of Money, and why play the game if you dont want to do trade/mf/other profitable work to get it.. Cus most e-bayers just Buy stuff + char, and then go do PvP..

~Shadow

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Shadow-Hunter said:
How can E-baying be waste of time? you can get around 40 sojs in no time... The think about E-baying is that its waste of Money, and why play the game if you dont want to do trade/mf/other profitable work to get it.. Cus most e-bayers just Buy stuff + char, and then go do PvP..

~Shadow
You kinda answered your own question didn't ya lol. Anyways I don't see a point wasiting real money on things that you can actually use outside of D2, it's rather pointless to me. Half the fun IMO, is seeing what you can aquire before the ladder ends, and/or, finding out how you fare amongst others with the gear you have.
Anyone can e-bay for gear, which is what I think was the big downfall to the game.

Anyways on topic now, just trade items for profit, then trade again for runes. It's a bit time consuming but, once you know what your doing you can get almost anything.

Reaction score
Ok, this is all I do when I play Diablo except climb the ladder. Hell Baal over and over and over. I have got Zod, Cham, Jah, Vex, and Ber from doing Baal runs. Also Hell Baal got me Fathom...I WANT TYREALS! So I suggest Hell Baal for the best rune drops.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
celticangel144 said:
Ok, this is all I do when I play Diablo except climb the ladder. Hell Baal over and over and over. I have got Zod, Cham, Jah, Vex, and Ber from doing Baal runs. Also Hell Baal got me Fathom...I WANT TYREALS! So I suggest Hell Baal for the best rune drops.
Are you saying you got these runes from drops in a Baal run? I call BS I have yet to see any rune of value drop when doing one, let alone a ZOD. You would have better luck in Hell cows, or doing forge rushes for people.

dNiym

Member!
Reaction score
you're going about it all wrong, if you're killing bosses looking for runes (excluding countess) then thats why your not finding them. You need high level nobody monsters. Not pindle, not eldrich, not baal; just nobody high level monsters and champions. They don't even have to be unique monsters. As someone said before, dont go "rune hunting" because you will end up disappointed. But if you take some time out of your teleporting to bosses and smoke some monsters along the way you will find a hell of a lot more valuable runes than anyone whos just running the countess.

This ladder season from Aug to December 20 I have found:

2x Jah runes - hell pits
4x Vex Runes - hell pits/hell cows/frozen river
2x Gul Runes - act 1 areas (stony field/blood moor)
1x Ist Runes - andy
1x Mal Runes - plains of dispair
3x Um runes - act 1 areas/halls of vaught

thats like 1 good usable rune per week, if you dont count anything but hr's I end up with a high rune about every 2 weeks.

I usually kill bosses too but the important thing to do when "hunting" runes is to make corpses, and lots of em.

The best rune countess has *EVER* dropped for me is a Lem and ive been playing off and on since 1.08

Based on *MY* findings hell pits have been by far the most profitable as far as runes go, and I have had found more runes with (2) people in the game than will a full load (8).

Layzas[kan]be

Reaction score
I got a Vex from the pit once, and my friend found and Ohm from the Gold carvers in the Tamoe Highland.