Favorite Heavy Metal Band!!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Musician against musician Iron maiden is leaps and bounds better. Their music is far better in every aspect.

It is also impossible to say one band is more popular than another without giving a method to gauge popularity. If we look at album sales, Iron maiden sold more in that period. They also played to a lot more people, the World slavery tour was one of the largest tours ever by a band (where they also played at the first ever Rock in Rio which had 1.5 million people in attendance). Their singles all charted when Metallica's never did. Therefore I am curious to see how you can justify calling them "more popular"?

concrete_sox

Premium Respected Member
Reaction score
sorry but master of puppets blows anything by iron maiden away

AZN_FLEA

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
the best heavy metal album of all time HAS to be rust in peace. im more into the 90's metal with pantera, megadeth and kalmah.

the best heavy metal band of the 80's has to be metallica. they just kicked ass really bad. iron maiden is great too but lets be honest, they are not that heavy and metal has the prefix HEAVY for a reason.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
The only thing really interesting about Metallica's musicianship was their crazy time changes. However in terms of guitar skill Kirk Hammet just did lots of hammer and super easy tapping (Seriously it takes you a day to learn tapping solos).

Iron Maiden's guitarists however use much more complicated techniques such as sweep picking in almost every solo. No contest in guitarists.

Bass players, well Cliff Burton was awesome but seeing as how Steve Harris wrote so much of Iron Maiden he wins in terms of musicianship. Jason Newsted uses a pick, fail.

Singers, Bruce Dickinson, nuff said.

Drummers, both Clive Burr (Run to the Hills is intense) and Nicko McBrain out preform Lars Ulrich who really doesn't have anything going for him.

Johnny

IMMERSION RUINED
Reaction score
the best heavy metal album of all time HAS to be rust in peace. im more into the 90's metal with pantera, megadeth and kalmah.

the best heavy metal band of the 80's has to be metallica. they just kicked ass really bad. iron maiden is great too but lets be honest, they are not that heavy and metal has the prefix HEAVY for a reason.
Rust in Peace was released in '90.

I think I prefer Hetfield's voice over Dickinson's.

RyanXWing

Nothing special
Reaction score
Metallica was the most popular ROCK band of the 90's

Before that, specifically in the 80's which this thread is about. I'm pretty sure Iron Maiden was more popular. Metallica took them out of being awesome because of the shit they pulled in the 90's. It's barely music.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Crikey, what is heavy metal these days? Once upon a time Metallica was metal, now i hear all this really heavy stuff where the singer sounds demonic and have no idea what to class it as.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
Also the thing people forget is that Metallica became POPULAR in the 90s. Even their 80s stuff WASN'T popular until the ...And justice or the Black Album came out and people knew who they were.

With that in Mind Iron maiden was popular at the time, whereas their 90s stuff, with the exception of fear of the dark and brave new world, virtual didn't exist when Bruce Dickinson left the band.

EEX_ca_aok

Praetoris Maximus
Reaction score
Website
www.empireofexiles.com
Crikey, what is heavy metal these days? Once upon a time Metallica was metal, now i hear all this really heavy stuff where the singer sounds demonic and have no idea what to class it as.
Black/Death Metal from the sounds of it. Depends on other stuff though. Whereas Metallica is a Thrash Metal group.

And Iron Maiden > Metallica.