Fallout 3

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
The other fanatic was found in some underground place in some abandoned building that I didn't discover until my 3rd run. You don't get to talk to him, since he'll still have a go at you, but he does have a machine, trucks and some of that shit that Sierra has.

It may be game of the year, but it still has a shit ending. Saying so isn't exactly a spoiler. :p

- Amantis

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
I, and probably plenty of others, haven't played it yet. It's just not cool to say what happens at the end of a freaking rpg game. The story is what you play the game for, gawd.

PauseBreak

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Story: When I was in Iraq serving a useless tour, I got hold of a copy of FO:3. I cracked it and distributed it too a bunch of my buds in my platoon. Some played, and some didn't, and of those who did it was a race to finish. Some dude stayed up 4 days straight (this includes the missions we went on) to finish the game first. lol. Well he won that cookie.

The game became so popular amongst the Company a "Three Dog Sympathizer Group" emerged. If you didn't know who, or support, Three Dog you were either un-cool or didn't get batteries or the "good" food. lol. If you weren't with, you were against Three Dog. lol. Yeah, we were that bored.

FO:3 is a GREAT game. But I don't think I could ever play it again. It reminds me toooo much of Iraq and the waste land of trash that it is. =\

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
God damnit. Use fucking spoiler tags. I was planning to get the game of the year edition when it came out this week. Finally able to play it. (It was sold out here in like, a day. Same thing happened with the second shipment.) THEN SOME IDIOT POSTS HOW THE GAME ENDS.

*explodes*
You know a thread titled "fallout 3" a year after the game came out might actually have things in it that might spoil the game.

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
It has been a year already? Fuuu... I'm so living in the part. Oh well, I guess you're right. Not going to make a big deal out of this. Using spoiler tags for critical parts of the plot is still kinda obvious, though.

For example, visit a fansite of some random game. You won't see people just ranting about the plot in threads that aren't meant to even discuss such things. Uugh, nevermind.

The game is going to be awesome anyway.

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I had beaten the game at this point last year.

Although I will point out I got it a month early.

Also, I got to fable II a few months ago, almost a year after it was released. As a rule I would imagine a thread here on a game is going to hae some spoilers. I would just avoid a thread about a game I havent played, and if I need to know anyhting I would make my own thread to ask.

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
Besides, Aurora, I don't think the ending has been given away. Not really. I mean, yes, we've said that without the Broken Steel expansion your character dies - but we haven't said anything about how that gets set up with regard to the storyline, and trust me when I say it's all about how it happens. ;) Not to mention, because it's Fallout with all its openness, there are several different paths to the end. So there's still plenty to discover (and influence) in the game for yourself!

Furthermore, you have the hint to diverge from the main questline and explore the Wasteland. I wish I'd known that before I finished the game and had to backtrack to get to some of the most entertaining parts! It's an awesome game with a lot to it, so go off the beaten track and have fun. :)

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
That's the best thing I've heard all day. Only been up for two hours, but still pretty nice to hear that. Oblivion didn't get interesting untill about the last 3 missions of the main quest. The guild storylines were way better. Those had plot twists all the time. Hoping for a similar thing all the way trough Fallout 3.

But I have one question: doesn't the whole "freeze time and aim for the head" thing make the game way to easy? I watched a few video reviews, like the one from Gamespot, and all they showed was the character making headshots. I understand that you don't HAVE to use such a mechanism, but it looks like a cheats that's always on. Much like the fast travel system. I didn't discover all those dungeons and such in Oblivion until my second run. (I wanted to know how much fun riding a horse was. It sucked, to be honest.)

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
The guild storylines were way better. Those had plot twists all the time.
Totally. I mean really, how many times have we seen the story of needing to save the world from portals to hell that have been opened?! *cough*Doom, Diablo, etc*cough*. But the guilds made life more interesting.

Doesn't the whole "freeze time and aim for the head" thing make the game way to easy?
It's called VATS - and no, I don't think it makes things too easy at all! For one thing, VATS is limited by your Action Points (AP) - it works a bit like mana in Diablo 2; each shot costs AP, and once you've used up all your AP you have to wait for it to recharge before you can use VATS again. You also have to contend with a % chance to hit for any given shot, which is tempered by a lot of factors (such as your skill in that weapon class, how close to the enemy you are, what obstructions are in your way).

...Much like the fast travel system.
IMO, fast travel just helps to make the game less tedious. You still have to discover locations (i.e. make the journey all the way there yourself) before you can fast travel to them, and you can't fast travel if you're over-encumbered or if there are enemies nearby. Not to mention, if you want to discover the funnier locations and quests, you really want to spend time exploring the map!

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
I barely use VATS at the point I'm at mostly because IT IS way to easy. All things considered I have 100 in guns, I improved my accuracy a fair amount with perks and if I make a kill I got the perk to instantly replenish my AP so I can instantly use it again. Drains the game of much fun.

That being said it also breaks up the flow. If I'm in a firefight, it stops the action and that pulls me out of it. Sometimes the animation takes to long after I fire anyways, so I just avoid it. However I found I needed VATS a lot in broken steel, because the enemies were several levels of unfair.

its a personal choice really. I would imagine what route you took through the game will have you rely on it more or less. You can simply not use it and you aren't really losing out.

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
Its a personal choice really. I would imagine what route you took through the game will have you rely on it more or less. You can simply not use it and you aren't really losing out.
Agreed. I found VATS invaluable in stealth/sniper moments (especially since I don't care much for the sniper rifle), but it's more fun not to use it in most battle situations.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
When I got bored of using VATS headshots, I started switching to the sniper rifle, which I actually like doing, and started to use other methods like dropping grenades off the bridge and throwing mines as they come. I'm back to using stealth a lot again in unarmed, but when using guns, I feel that they'll just know where I'm going to be so I've ended up using the charge method. Then again, I'll probably only do that when I have loads of bullets.

But I still like looking at my Matrix bullet in slow motion on occasions.

- Amantis

Aurora

Let's fix it.
Reaction score
Website
www.starcraft2forum.org
I'll probably just put the difficulty on a bit higher then standard.

The problem with the fast travel in Oblivion was that all of the cities were already "discovered" from the start. You could basically travel to every corner of the map right away. I never had to walk for more then 5 minutes to get anywhere on the map.

Oh well. Just going to try and ignore fast travel and VATS for this game. I'll post later how it went.

Raya Wolfsun

Addicted to Mentats
Reaction score
You could basically travel to every corner of the map right away. I never had to walk for more then 5 minutes to get anywhere on the map.
Oh, that won't be a problem in FO3! ;)

Just going to try and ignore fast travel and VATS for this game. I'll post later how it went.
I'd say not to dismiss them entirely... yeah, they can feel like cheats if overused, but at the same time they do have their place. VATS does allow some interesting effects - like messing with (rather than just destroying) a turret so that it shoots anything that moves, or crippling an enemy's arm so they can't hold a gun anymore. And those slow-mo shots look cool if nothing else!

I mean, at the end of the day it's not about sticking to some quasi-moral code of what gaming is supposed to be - the goal is to keep it fun and engaging, right?

(And don't mind me getting philosophical on you. It's a nasty habit I have. ;))

Emperor Pan I

Respected Member
Reaction score
psh, you realize if you avoid fast travel you're going to take a good 6 months to finish just the regular game.

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Not to mention that going through those tunnels again is going to take ages, especially when you're done with looting those places.

- Amantis