Elemental Shamans'

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
DPS is insane. I always top the damage meters on instances, by far, with people with the same gear level as myself. I do, however, have too much threat. Any idea how I can avoid that without having to stop attacking?

Reaction score
Answer:

The people you are running with are bad.
Your tanks suck.

Arkillo

The best of both worlds
Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
depends on what level, but if its anything under 60, you're pretty much going to have a huge threat.

once you hit outland, people become a bit more compitent when it comes to playing their tanking roles, and once you start raiding, you should be fine.

if not, then you need new tanks

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I'm only 61, not raiding yet :p

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
It's not the tanks fault, at 61 most (And by most, i mean 99%) warriors are specced for dps and they just slap on some tank gear for instances. So they don't have all the nice stuff from the prot tree like defiance and shield slam.

It's not uncommon that you're pulling aggro, maybe you shouldn't go balls out all the time?

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Warriors aren't the only tanks, tube :p

I did Ramparts with a 63 prot specced tankadin (I was 60), and there just was no way he'd take them off me.

Good thing I wear mail. In any case, I'm learning how to play with ele, which is also why I'm asking around here.

Not going all out does seems to be effective!

Samsara

Member!
Reaction score
Website
www.WarcraftForums.com
Get the sublety enchant to cloak (next patch when mats are easier) and if you're ever grouping with a paladin, ask for BoSalv.

Be sure to stay away from Chain Lightning and use more Lightning bolts so your aggro isn't all over the room.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Yeah, I already use the Tranquil Air Totem for some help ;)

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Grats on 60 btw, sir. My priest just hit 58, I should be 60 by the end of the night! <3

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Really easy, on outlands ;)

And thanks :p

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Yeah, I already use the Tranquil Air Totem for some help ;)
Only ever do that in a raid if you're grouped with dps casters. Otherwise the effect will work on your tank in a 5man, so it's useless. Drop windfury for warriors when they're tanking, excellent at gaining rage.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just cast bolts and don't shock/CL unless you need to interrupt something.

And never use tranquil air on 5 mans.

fake edit: Try dropping an earthbind once you get aggro, it'll at least give the tank more time to get it back.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Actually, Tranquil Air Totem only affects the totem if he's at 30 yards range of it. Obviously, I don't place it at 30 yards of him, but at 60. It let's me and the casters get its effect, and the tank doesn't.

I do however use CL a lot (when there's packs of mobs), because it works the best, and shocks only to finish them off (or to interrupt ofc).

The thing that helps the less this aggro stuff is that sometimes Lightning Overload (5% chance to proc a similar instant costless spell on LB & CL, procs on itself too) procs a load (I did like 7k the other day with 3 critical LO procs), so it's somewhat unpredictable.

Pie

BattleForums Junior Member
Reaction score
Do 5v5s on your shaman if you're going to be elemental at 70. 3 DPS, 1 healer, and 1 elemental shaman tends to work rediculously well because of the heroism, the burst dps, and the ability to switch to healing to get through the other team's burst dps.

As for raiding, it's a bit like enhancement DPS where you simply pull aggro and die during a lot of trash pulls. During boss fights I've never seen a shaman pull aggro though, so I doubt its a huge issue.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
I don't PvP, usuallly spend that time farming gold or going out with friends. My only goal is PvE.

jd-inflames

Melodic Murderer
Reaction score
Website
www.cursedprophets.com
Actually, Tranquil Air Totem only affects the totem if he's at 30 yards range of it. Obviously, I don't place it at 30 yards of him, but at 60. It let's me and the casters get its effect, and the tank doesn't.

I do however use CL a lot (when there's packs of mobs), because it works the best, and shocks only to finish them off (or to interrupt ofc).

The thing that helps the less this aggro stuff is that sometimes Lightning Overload (5% chance to proc a similar instant costless spell on LB & CL, procs on itself too) procs a load (I did like 7k the other day with 3 critical LO procs), so it's somewhat unpredictable.
The majority of DPS offensive spells are at a 30 yard radius. if you are dropping it far behind the group, you might wanna hope for a group dumb enough to not approach the tank if they slip up on their aggro in that case. I'm not saying no, but I'd just agree that the other air totem (the melee dps/agility one of I'm thinking right...who knows, I know squat about shaman) would be a better choice IMO. Just get a threat meter like Omen and back off if you are pushing too high. If your tank isn't taking his aggro, either you are going fullout on the wrong target like a dumbass, or your tank has taken the threshold beyond incompetance.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Meh, you guys are only saying things I've already learnt with my mage. I was asking for more shamanistic details.

As for the tranquil air totem, it can always be removed. But I know the tank can't get it, come on guys, stop assuming I don't. I'm not stupid, mkay?

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Dude tranquil air isn't worth it, put windfury down for the tank so he can actually get rage.

And i'm speaking from a warriors perspective, WINDFURY HELPS A FKING LOT.

TrongaMonga

Grumpy Old Grandpa
Reaction score
Actually, I usually do lay down Windfury. With Strenght of Earth, ToW and Mana Spring. Tranquil Air is only for those situations it's really required. Windfury doesn't give the tank 20% more threat, but TA gives me 20% less. And very obviously I won't lay it down when the tonk's near.

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Dropping GoA for + armor for tank, +dmg for rogues/hunters and crit for everyone else, WF for tanks/melees and WoA for casters/healers is alot better than dropping a totem with -threat, which you can just easily achieve if you just don't go all out/know what you're doing.

!!!1111111111111