DOTA: Heroes and Core Items.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Any suggestions? just give 1 to 3 core items since most games won't last long that your inventory will not be full. lets discuss.

I've been playing dota for 5 years now more than starcraft or diablo. well semi non-stop. so i know and mastered all heroes below.

note: my built are not perfectly built for team pro games since you need to adjust with your built and items in team plays. anyway this suggestions are purely for basic casual gaming ownage.

heres mine.

Maiden.

scepter and dagger are her core items. you would own even only just using these 2 items if you are good at timing your skills and blinking at the right moment when you know no ones gonna stop your channeling freezing field.

nova,blink right next to your enemy(should be tightly close), bite, freezing field...nova if still alive.

Ursa

linken sphere + dagger. 2 first items for my ursa. linken is for saving you from single stun to chase down and kill your prey and allows you to spam ursa's other skills to farm hard. dagger is to blink and do the fury combo, its always better to initiate a surprise attack. last get the heart of tarrasque.

i dont recommend lothars edge because its costly and doesn't benefit ursa since he needs more hp than agility items to deal damage. As for escaping with lothars, i don't think ursa is the type of hero that runs away from a battle, if you got linken or heart your basically a tanker.

Leshrac

Linken Sphere + Scepter. You can spam and farm very well with linken sphere for leshrac for his first main core item. you will always have enough mana to kill your enemy with your spam spell as well as using pulse nova freely. scpeter = nova pulse ownage. anyway if you dont find it hard investing for mystic staff then go for it right away.

i dont recommend guinsoo for leshrac as a core item in most situation since you have plenty of skills to spam(guinsoo will add up more micro) and you need more life importantly (linken/soulbooster/scepter).

i'll continue with my other fave heroes if there others already contributed with their hero core item built.

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Eh, i prefer lothars/euls/fishstick on CM. She's more of a support hero and so many heroes can stomp all over her you need a lothars, plus it works after you cast Freezing Field so the channeling wont be interrupted (save for an aoe stun).

For Ursa, just get treads and a vlads and go from there. Lothars is great for Ursa if you get earthshock (plenty of players don't even get it).

As for Leshrac, i also like to get scepter. You really like your linkens though. I use that item on maybe one or two heroes and even then it depends on the matchup and how many players there are. Guinsoo's is great on any intel hero. Who cares if it's more micro. If you can't use a fishstick in dota then you probably aren't very good at video games.

Barney Stinson

Suit up
Reaction score
It depends on what team you're up against, if they're idiots, whos in your lane so on and so forth.

But every ****ing character should get Boots of Travel (3v3) or Treads if they have some other +movement (WW, aura, frenzy) if it's not. Anyone without a Boots of Travel in a 3v3 game is a waste of a character. What the **** are you gonna do if you're pushing their second tower while the 3 heroes on the other team are facestomping your base and just killed the other two heroes. Hey, I know, I'll just walk back and take 45 seconds.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Most of the time I only get boots of speed and I own. The best way to prevent getting pushed is watching the minimap and not pushing out alone past the river (except mid) in late game. UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE I KNOOOOW...

Dagger is cool and all, but Maiden is better off with BKB because positioning is never the hard part in difficult games, but usually being disabled is what's the problem. BKB is really under used and it's probably one of the best items in the game. It's cheap and give you temporary spell immunity.

As for Lothars this is probably the worst item in the game. It's only good for Nevermore and Venomancer but if you don't suck ass you won't need to rely on Lothars so the amount of gold wasted on it could be spent on a better item. In 98% of the case Dagger of Escape or BKB will be much much more useful. There's a reason why they altered the recipe ingredients to be more alluring. It's because it's a terrible item.

Dream_Walker

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Claiming you've mastered ursa yet you get blink dagger and linkens with him.. hmm..

No offense or anything, :)

PA:
ez, treads (or BoT), BF, MKB, Satanic. Proceed to kick ass.

Luna:
treads (or BoT), yasha, bfly, satanic, lothars.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Claiming you've mastered ursa yet you get blink dagger and linkens with him.. hmm..

Luna:

I never get BF on any hero except Magnus for massive cleave damage. It's kind of a ****ty item for anyone else. Learn2Lasthit. I can see where BF might be good on PA as the last item you get on her though..

I've never gotten yasha on Luna or Lothars and I can't say I've ever done bad with her. Always done incredibly well.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
dagger works like wonder if you know how to use it...

and bf works well on any dps heroes pretty much, PA is one of them

luna jus needs helm of dmoniator and BoT... and yasha on luna is such a waste of an item slot, jus get a BKB instead

as for lesh, dagger blood stone aghnim guinsoo = gg

and wtf linekns and blink on ursa? lothar is so much better than blink nowadays for ursa since it adds agi and dmg, unlike previous versions. vlad bkb lothar is all u ned on ursa

well i guess those builds would own for pub games, then again anything goes in -em games..

and professor, thats why ppl carry tps if they have tread on.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Eh, i prefer lothars/euls/fishstick on CM. She's more of a support hero and so many heroes can stomp all over her you need a lothars, plus it works after you cast Freezing Field so the channeling wont be interrupted (save for an aoe stun).

For Ursa, just get treads and a vlads and go from there. Lothars is great for Ursa if you get earthshock (plenty of players don't even get it).

As for Leshrac, i also like to get scepter. You really like your linkens though. I use that item on maybe one or two heroes and even then it depends on the matchup and how many players there are. Guinsoo's is great on any intel hero. Who cares if it's more micro. If you can't use a fishstick in dota then you probably aren't very good at video games.
Imo maiden is more than a support actually shes your main killer with your freezing field.

My suggestion is about core items for heroes, I don’t think you basically need a lothars edge for maiden as your number 1 or 2 items. I mean point booster would be better giving you life and enough mana to spam spell to support or kill plus it gives you life. Euls on the other hand is a defensive type of maiden, I don’t think you need to be defensive early game given a core items, maiden got 3 nuke skills I prefer her to be more aggressive early on to kill and farm, that is very essential late game investing for the all powerful scepter.

Lothars cost a lot without giving you any benefits but for escaping purposes. Well it can be also use for ambushing, well the dagger is cheaper you just need to master how to use it. Yes lothars may stop enemies from stopping your freezing field, but in my case I play maiden very wisely and smartly, I dot just use the freezing field knowing that enemies are ready to cancel it. I blink and do the combo ALWAYS at the right time, I wait for my teammate to do the initial attacks and after all enemy spells have bee cast on them I blink in and cast freezing field. Also lothars don’t give you enough life to last long in battle.

Usually a single blink bite freezing field combo would easily kill int and agi type of enemies with ¼ of their life missing. You can kill even a not full life bone clinkz easily, blink right next to him and cast frrost bite and then your level 6, he can’t easily wind walk away from it. scepter will make it easy for you to make triple or more kills. Just be always at the right time and at the right place and with the right team heroes casting it.

Threads and Vladimir. I don’t think you need thread since ursa with overpower has the fastest attack speed of all heroes and it has an imba short cooldown for an insane skill. Lothars again cost a lot compared to a dagger with the same function, ursa kills wonders if enemies are caught by surprised, overpower/enrage/blink/earthquake + boots of travel = ownage. Imo ursa only needs hp as many as possible. Vladimirs don’t stack with fury swipes and you really don’t need that evasion since you’re a taker.

I like fishsticks, but I don’t think leshrac is the type of hero that needs ones for a core items. Yes scepter is a must for leshrac. Linken well it’s the easiest and most worthy item next to scepter for lesrac since you can spam spell/regen/and most important got free stun nullifier and extra life. Leshrac only needs extra mana and life considering that you already mastered his spell and how and when to use them.

It depends on what team you're up against, if they're idiots, whos in your lane so on and so forth.

But every ****ing character should get Boots of Travel (3v3) or Treads if they have some other +movement (WW, aura, frenzy) if it's not. Anyone without a Boots of Travel in a 3v3 game is a waste of a character. What the **** are you gonna do if you're pushing their second tower while the 3 heroes on the other team are facestomping your base and just killed the other two heroes. Hey, I know, I'll just walk back and take 45 seconds.
I don’t play 3vs 3. 3vs 3 is kinda imba, it all depends on what heroes you have to win games considering your team and your opponent are equal skilled. And plus the pushing factor sucks on 3vs3. On 5on5 anything can happen and all are fair and balance since gang bang and large team plays can always beat imba situations like an enemy troll farming freely on the woods etc. that’s wont usually happen on 5vs5 team games.

Most of the time I only get boots of speed and I own. The best way to prevent getting pushed is watching the minimap and not pushing out alone past the river (except mid) in late game. UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE I KNOOOOW...

Dagger is cool and all, but Maiden is better off with BKB because positioning is never the hard part in difficult games, but usually being disabled is what's the problem. BKB is really under used and it's probably one of the best items in the game. It's cheap and give you temporary spell immunity.

As for Lothars this is probably the worst item in the game. It's only good for Nevermore and Venomancer but if you don't suck ass you won't need to rely on Lothars so the amount of gold wasted on it could be spent on a better item. In 98% of the case Dagger of Escape or BKB will be much much more useful. There's a reason why they altered the recipe ingredients to be more alluring. It's because it's a terrible item.
BKB for maiden is actually useful but I don’t invest for it as a core item. Well you don’t only need positioning using maiden but more importantly you need timing. Sick timing. Say when your tauren blinks to the enemy and spam his spell while he get stun by the enemy, after that is the right time you blink/bite/freezingfield combo… triple kill. Done that plenty of times with my friends. Or if you feel lucky you blink together w/ the tauren, your enemies will get multiple stun allowing you to cast you ulti and by the time they react they will have few lives or they are all dead. Again bkb is costly for maiden’s core item, you would benefit much better with dagger plus point and vitality booster than that as your early game item/s.

Imo bkb is situational. But it is very effective.

Yes lothars is such a waste of gold for heroes like maiden… and imo even ursa.

PA:
ez, treads (or BoT), BF, MKB, Satanic. Proceed to kick ass.

Luna:
ok dagger for ursa, if you’re a solo killer ursa dagger is the way to go, I mean how can you chase or get close to your opponent/victim if he see you right away. Ofcourse he will run or fight backs lessening your life which makes you deal lower damage by the time you attack your attacker.

Liken works well for me, lets me spam ursa spells without going back to the fountain regularly. Its for farming actually, ursa is a lousy farmer, if you can’t kill or spam your overpower and earthquake. Also linken gives you 5hp regen and extra life both needed by ursa.

PA: agreed with your built perfectly. BF and SATANIC/HeLMofD core items. Then manta or butterfly. I don’t agree with yasha.

Luna: lothars and satanic/helmofd (battlebuild).

dagger works like wonder if you know how to use it...

and bf works well on any dps heroes pretty much, PA is one of them

luna jus needs helm of dmoniator and BoT... and yasha on luna is such a waste of an item slot, jus get a BKB instead

as for lesh, dagger blood stone aghnim guinsoo = gg

and wtf linekns and blink on ursa? lothar is so much better than blink nowadays for ursa since it adds agi and dmg, unlike previous versions. vlad bkb lothar is all u ned on ursa

well i guess those builds would own for pub games, then again anything goes in -em games..

and professor, thats why ppl carry tps if they have tread on.
perfectly said about the dagger.

I used to have dagger in my leshrac build in the past when the dagger was not yet nerfd.

But now its kinda useless. 2150? Farm a little more and Go for the staff right away.

Guinsoo maybe the third core item for my leshrac build. Or heart.

Anyway linken+scepter+heart= tanker nuker leshrac, just activate the pulse freely. With heart you can even take on melee attackers effectively.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
Imo maiden is more than a support actually shes your main killer with your freezing field.

My suggestion is about core items for heroes, I don’t think you basically need a lothars edge for maiden as your number 1 or 2 items. I mean point booster would be better giving you life and enough mana to spam spell to support or kill plus it gives you life. Euls on the other hand is a defensive type of maiden, I don’t think you need to be defensive early game given a core items, maiden got 3 nuke skills I prefer her to be more aggressive early on to kill and farm, that is very essential late game investing for the all powerful scepter.

Lothars cost a lot without giving you any benefits but for escaping purposes. Well it can be also use for ambushing, well the dagger is cheaper you just need to master how to use it. Yes lothars may stop enemies from stopping your freezing field, but in my case I play maiden very wisely and smartly, I dot just use the freezing field knowing that enemies are ready to cancel it. I blink and do the combo ALWAYS at the right time, I wait for my teammate to do the initial attacks and after all enemy spells have bee cast on them I blink in and cast freezing field. Also lothars don’t give you enough life to last long in battle.

Usually a single blink bite freezing field combo would easily kill int and agi type of enemies with ¼ of their life missing. You can kill even a not full life bone clinkz easily, blink right next to him and cast frrost bite and then your level 6, he can’t easily wind walk away from it. scepter will make it easy for you to make triple or more kills. Just be always at the right time and at the right place and with the right team heroes casting it.

Threads and Vladimir. I don’t think you need thread since ursa with overpower has the fastest attack speed of all heroes and it has an imba short cooldown for an insane skill. Lothars again cost a lot compared to a dagger with the same function, ursa kills wonders if enemies are caught by surprised, overpower/enrage/blink/earthquake + boots of travel = ownage. Imo ursa only needs hp as many as possible. Vladimirs don’t stack with fury swipes and you really don’t need that evasion since you’re a taker.

I like fishsticks, but I don’t think leshrac is the type of hero that needs ones for a core items. Yes scepter is a must for leshrac. Linken well it’s the easiest and most worthy item next to scepter for lesrac since you can spam spell/regen/and most important got free stun nullifier and extra life. Leshrac only needs extra mana and life considering that you already mastered his spell and how and when to use them.

I don’t play 3vs 3. 3vs 3 is kinda imba, it all depends on what heroes you have to win games considering your team and your opponent are equal skilled. And plus the pushing factor sucks on 3vs3. On 5on5 anything can happen and all are fair and balance since gang bang and large team plays can always beat imba situations like an enemy troll farming freely on the woods etc. that’s wont usually happen on 5vs5 team games.

BKB for maiden is actually useful but I don’t invest for it as a core item. Well you don’t only need positioning using maiden but more importantly you need timing. Sick timing. Say when your tauren blinks to the enemy and spam his spell while he get stun by the enemy, after that is the right time you blink/bite/freezingfield combo… triple kill. Done that plenty of times with my friends. Or if you feel lucky you blink together w/ the tauren, your enemies will get multiple stun allowing you to cast you ulti and by the time they react they will have few lives or they are all dead. Again bkb is costly for maiden’s core item, you would benefit much better with dagger plus point and vitality booster than that as your early game item/s.

Imo bkb is situational. But it is very effective.

Yes lothars is such a waste of gold for heroes like maiden… and imo even ursa.

ok dagger for ursa, if you’re a solo killer ursa dagger is the way to go, I mean how can you chase or get close to your opponent/victim if he see you right away. Ofcourse he will run or fight backs lessening your life which makes you deal lower damage by the time you attack your attacker.

Liken works well for me, lets me spam ursa spells without going back to the fountain regularly. Its for farming actually, ursa is a lousy farmer, if you can’t kill or spam your overpower and earthquake. Also linken gives you 5hp regen and extra life both needed by ursa.

PA: agreed with your built perfectly. BF and SATANIC/HeLMofD core items. Then manta or butterfly. I don’t agree with yasha.

Luna: lothars and satanic/helmofd (battlebuild).

perfectly said about the dagger.

I used to have dagger in my leshrac build in the past when the dagger was not yet nerfd.

But now its kinda useless. 2150? Farm a little more and Go for the staff right away.

Guinsoo maybe the third core item for my leshrac build. Or heart.

Anyway linken+scepter+heart= tanker nuker leshrac, just activate the pulse freely. With heart you can even take on melee attackers effectively.
bloodstone and travel as your core item is much better. If you get enough kills with your bloodstone in the beginning, you may be able to use your ult all day long without mana reduction.

and dagger's still good xD its not useless at all, and heart might be an overkill.. i'd still say bloodstone is by far the best item on lesh, due to the regens and the low goldloss it provides

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
A heart on Leshrac is retarded. Lots of health isn't worth it if you don't have the armor value to back it up, you'll still get stomped.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
bloodstone and travel as your core item is much better. If you get enough kills with your bloodstone in the beginning, you may be able to use your ult all day long without mana reduction.

and dagger's still good xD its not useless at all, and heart might be an overkill.. i'd still say bloodstone is by far the best item on lesh, due to the regens and the low goldloss it provides
bloodstone. the truth is i never tried it yet because leshrac is already one of my fave heroes even before bloodstone was out. so i was mainly using linken and scepter as core items and it did great even till now.

i think bloodstone is kinda an alternative for linken. i think both are useful in situations.

hhmm.. your right bloodstone is made for leshrac. i might actually try it on my next game.

@renzokuken.

well what important is you last long in battle while spamming your spell and hitting pulse nova on your enemies while worrying less with your hp.

and its not retarded, i tried it a lot of times. they were having a hard time killing while i continue to smack pulse nova on them.

well ofcourse you need the scepter first.

heres my final build looks like for leshrac.

travel, linken, scepter, heart/ginsoo.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
nowadays, since guinsoo ads all stats and all, its better to get bkb (with bkb, u probably wont need linkens) and guinsoo instead of heart

after all, in team fights 9 seconds is all you need to do some major damage

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
i know what your saying. the right items to win team games. but like i said this is merely a random pub casual owning type of game suggestion.

so you dont really need a bkb in most situation unless if your in a tournament etc.

i mean bkb is kinda pricey and only helps you win a crucial team battle and win the game overall since a mistake/death of opponents in late games, will finish the game. but on just some fun basic owning matches, bkb wont help you sure kill a specific hero since ofcourse he will either just run away etc.

like for leshrac bkb won't help much compared to linken. with linken you can spam all three spells and after the cooldown you will still have enough mana to cast it again.

ginsoo vs heart? well ginsuu is kinda a support item. i would rather go for the heart so that i can last long better even by myself.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
i know what your saying. the right items to win team games. but like i said this is merely a random pub casual owning type of game suggestion.

so you dont really need a bkb in most situation unless if your in a tournament etc.

i mean bkb is kinda pricey and only helps you win a crucial team battle and win the game overall since a mistake/death of opponents in late games, will finish the game. but on just some fun basic owning matches, bkb wont help you sure kill a specific hero since ofcourse he will either just run away etc.

like for leshrac bkb won't help much compared to linken. with linken you can spam all three spells and after the cooldown you will still have enough mana to cast it again.

ginsoo vs heart? well ginsuu is kinda a support item. i would rather go for the heart so that i can last long better even by myself.
whats better? 4 heroes hitting on you with decent hp bonus? or 5 heroes hitting on you with more hp bonus? and cd on guinsoo is 20 seconds... prety damn short

and bkb isnt pricy.. if anything LINKENS AND HEART is

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
yes linken sphere is pricey as well but its still a better item for leshrac than bkb imo. Bkb is a situational item while linken can easily be a core item for leshrac or most heroes.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
Not true at all. If anything Linken's is situational. It relies on targetable nukes and it's only going to block one in each major conflict. BKB gives full immunity for a set amount of time. More than enough time to do what damage you can. I'm just doing the math in my head, also, but I believe linken is also much more expensive.

electricmole

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
the spell negation actually is just a bonus, and dont underestimate it since it has 20 secs cooldown now. the main function of the linken sphere for such hero is to give more health mana a good life and mana regen. and thats a lot. and leshrac needs all of these. bkb? yes the avatar is godlike( but is situational) since you only need it when necessary. The linken on the other hand gives you life and mana as well as useful life and mana regen which is important on most if not all heroes.

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
you're right, but like i said.. bloodstone shoudl cover all the regens you need as well as mana+, and bkb is just pure spell immunity. Linkens is easily countered by 2 sheep sticks or 3 or even just multiple disables.

If your lesh is going to have all the items you said preivously in the game.. then chances are, enemy's heroes will have similar items or dps items that can easily counter it all.

Jenny

is ....listed
Reaction score
I usually have no problem going without BKB on Lesh, but if you're in a game with a lot of stun and/or disrupt then it's a must have. Otherwise you'll never get close enough to make good use of your ulti and the other short aoe range move. You'll be a two trick pony with earthquake and lightning and then you'll be fodder.

Personally I think bloodstone sucks. I'd rather put the soul booster into a scepter. I mean, I guess it's an adequate item to have until you can afford the mystic staff, then you break up the bloodstone and build that. This is the only time I ever get it.