Do runewords annoy you...

Annoyed?

• Total voters

IDefy

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
In the aspect that most uniques, sets and rares are virtually useless, do you hate how elite shields, armor, weps and helms are all runewords other than mf items?

L

Laharl

There ARE still useful uniques, but almost none. Useful sets are almost nonexistance.

-Big-Fat-Homo proposes changing the game's name to Runable II - the quest for the runewords.

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
I love the runewords. If you think the game is hard, they make it easier. If you think a character has gotten boring, they give you more options. My favorite of all, they establish a rune currency in the game so people can understand the value of their trades. It's not simply what lvl rune you have, but more so how valuable it is to making the best runewords, as well as its specific mods when socketed (like the all res on an UM). No runewords = collecting soj's. :(

L

Laharl

If you think a character has gotten boring, they give you more options
Right, so everyone almost NEEDING enigma is "more options".

understand the value of their trades.
It's meant to be a farking barter system! A BARTER system, son!

If you think the game is hard, they make it easier.
No, they make an easy game TOO easy. I prefer a challenge, unlike this.

No runewords = collecting soj's
Not if they get off their asses and use something called creativity.

Shadow-Hunter

Member!
Reaction score
Cant really say that i do.... I have never played d2 without the runewords.. So dont have the feeling of how it is without them.... But i gotta say: The only Real Place on the Char where Runewords are still domenating is Weapon for Melee, Armor and Caster shields.. Some Uniques can still be useful. Some like Storm shield, Shako, CoA, Deaths fanthom, Wizard spike, Viper skin and more stuff.... Altho Melee Ppls Weap is allmost allways a runeword.. Just seeing as No Unique weap add nearly as much dmg as Botd, Death or grief.. So i voted no cus i havnt really tryed it without them

~Shadow

L

Laharl

I need/want a third option: Thoroughly piss off. Runewords have ripped apart whatever balance the game once had. Every new patch makes Closed b.net look a little bit more like open.

Note: On the mod I play (Nezeramontis) my char only uses ONE runeword (CTA).

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Meh, same old whining.

Big-Fat-Homo, you act like the only thing 1.10 did was introduce runewords to make the game so easy. The fact is... runewords are almost needed now to survive the other features that 1.10 brought about. You didn't need runewords in previous patches because monsters sucked and the game was even easier than it is now!

Here's a few of the features 1.10 introduced, that are relevant to this thread...
- greatly increased monster speed, damage, and defense (game just got harder because monsters can swarm you and kill you quicker)
- widespread monster immunities (game just got harder because now several builds suck vs certain enemies)
- # of unique monsters increased in every area of every difficulty level (game just got harder because more unique monsters = more chance of them having deadly attributes; such as fanatacism, FE, MSLE, or whatever fear your build might have)
- increased experience gaining penalties for lvl 70+ characters (game just got harder because now you have to repeatedly kill these dangerous monsters several more times than before; this increases your odds of dying)
- synergy bonuses to skills (game just got harder in the sense that you can now strengthen your main skill, but have less pts to use on a secondary skill. If your secondary skill was meant to deal with the new monster immunity problems, this can get ugly. ex. blizzard sorc)
- there are other features that one could argue add to this, such as: nerfing of cow experience = slower leveling (more chances to die), new D Clone was hardest monster in the game for most builds, or even the whole Ladder system giving players a sense of urgency to play quicker than your comfortable pace... but I think you get the point by now.

This patch made it a whole new game. Runewords allow you to overcome these new features. Don't forget that high runes are not easily attained in a legitimate game, that this was meant to be. The emergence of dupes, ebay, etc has granted any player the chance to wear enigma and such. I see that as a far greater problem than the "runewords are too godly" problem. Even the most godliest characters still die today. Play hardcore to find out.

I don't remember what patch is was when I first started playing D2... but it was long before 1.10. These new features are what keeps this game alive. And don't tell me that D2 was any harder back then than it is now. That said... no one is forcing you to use the runewords, so clearly your problem is seeing "noobs pretend they're godly". It's a game. Who cares how anyone else is experiencing it other than yourself???

L

Laharl

Seriously, play Nezeramontis. They made monsters a lot faster, a lot tougher.

In hell things absorb instead of become immune, so sorcs NEED two eles. Just try it. ;)

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Yeah, Galatia sent me a little slideshow of screenshots from your nez mod. Looks pretty hilarious, all the items, charms, summons, layouts, etc. How many people do you have playing it now?

L

Laharl

I have a half dozen or so, mostly fairly good friends.

Get Galatia to send you a picture of my char (who completed a secret class type quest). Then bow before me. :p

sweetish

Member!
Reaction score
There's advantages and disadvantages. The runewords deffinitely help the economy but there's too much fluctuation in prices. The fact that they deminish the value of already obsolite uniques and sets is also a downside.
My suggestion is instead of a third option, a combination of the two. Runewords in uniques and sets, this will keep the economy and add lots of customisation to the items without a complete overhaul of the game. Only downside is that it will totally destroy the use of magic, rare and normal items. But hey shit can't all be perfect.

L

Laharl

Note: On the mod I play (Nezeramontis) my char only uses ONE runeword (CTA).
Everything else are uniques and yes, sets. Runewords have limited use there.

Shadow-Hunter

Member!
Reaction score
Big-Fat-Homo said:
Everything else are uniques and yes, sets. Runewords have limited use there.
At least it remove all the Stupid Smiters using: Cta + Spirit for Bo, Grief as weap, Eth Bugged Exile with around 1,8k def x.x and Zod + Eth Bugged Fort to add huge dmg from the Grief Fort Combo... think its stupid that allmost no melee chars can win in duells against a good builed smiter.. =/ They got unblock able attack, (can be ok), But then when they add HUGE dmg from Grief Fort, along with the best defence any char can get.. (No char can get higher def than the Paladin now..)

~Shadow

L

Laharl

How do I beat a smiter on nezamontis:

This is based heavily on getting your spell out FIRST before they can advance on you. You've been warned.

1. Use "King Leoric's Posession" in town. This forces me back into human form (I'm normally in Diablo form and cannot buff myself).

2. I use a waypoint, go somewhere in act 1 they would never check to try to pk me (if they bm) to use spells in this order:

Battle command,
Battle orders,
frost armour,
bone armour,
hide

3. Now I've got lots of physical absorbs, insanely high defense (hide and frost armour) and I slow them. Next stop? Yep! I return to town, take my secret class charm out of and return it to my inventory (return to Diablo mode).

4. This is where it gets fun. I set my armageddon skill to my right mouse button, exit town and immediately cast it. Only an idiot would try to smite me like that, and while the boulders are falling, I start spamming teeth.

5. If they prove to be tougher than the average cookie cutter, I switch to bone spirit, and one hit ko 99% of all people.

EZ pked.

Darth-Laoshi

Member!
Reaction score
Oh, I see... so on nez mod you don't have to actually put runes in anything... the items are ALREADY godly. Yes, much better.

Hehe, just teasin' ya.

But as Shadow-Hunter originally said, there's plenty of great uniques. You can have a character with no runewords and still solo the game.

L

Laharl

What I'm saying is that my char can beat most physical chars (especially smiters and chargers). They would need triple ele and magic absorbs to win.

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Any chance I can get some of the Nez mod pics?

ON TOPIC:
Runewords, in general do not "annoy" me. I do use a few of them, but overall, I see them as a way to really overpower a character. IMO, they should crack down on ebay and such, to get rid of people selling them. I saw (before I left) kids that barely knew how to play with gear all decked out in Runewords.
Now it is one thing to own runewords, but to have no idea how to play is another thing.
Their has been a resurgence of new palyers in D2, and they are almost all young.
What should be done, is raise the power of the monsters in NM and Hell, and make it insane damage and defense. That way, runewords are a must and not a "need" to have.
If they had normal the way it is and Nightmare looking more like hell with immune to certain things on monsters, Hell should have absorbing elements and such, just to truely call it "HELL". Maybe even have 1 new quest for nightmare, and a alternate new quest in HELL to keep things fresh and interesting. They pretty much did this in HELL with the Ubers, but in Nightmare it would be nice to have maybe just a quest to add something stat or skill wise to your character.

D6E6A6D

Member!
Reaction score
I must agree with darth L, runewords did make for more character options, but they also made characters too strong. Lets take a trip backin time to Classic. where your biggest damage chars were Barbs using 330 damage lances and orb tweaker sorcs. If the chars and items were the same as in classic, where basically rares were the best of the best, and they kept monsters as they are now, the game would own so much more. You would need a party to complete hell, no single character would be able to even attempt hell solo. Sure people could still solo and MF as they do now, but it would be in nightmare if anything. Clans would be of some actuall use because you would need a set group of people to party with all the time just to level. I think PvP was most balanced back then as well. Can anyone honestly disagree with me?

L

Laharl

I can't. Nez Mod pictures:

Diablo doll, neat gear.

One of the many new skills, this one is a lightning shockstream for sorceresses.

One of the many new (balanced) unique charms.

And the fire resist potion!

Thank you. *Bow*