Diablo III: Record in 2012

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
Beyond all odds, the title developed by Blizzard Reached 10 million users on Thursday after quarterly results the company released Were Activision-Blizzard. You guys are expecting this news?

Bobby Kotick, CEO, said that Diablo III was released on 15 May and arrived in record time to the top of best-selling games for PC and even was very optimistic that profits will continue to increase between now and diciemre.

Kotick also said that World of Warcraft MMORPG remains the industry leader with 9.1 million subscribers, despite losing nearly a million users over the same quarter last year.

Something similar happens with Call of Duty, the future looks bright under agreement with Tencent to promote its popularity in China, but Activision has acknowledged that sales of DLC are below the expected level.
Do you think this will continue for the remainder of the year? Do any game will be able to dethrone him?

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Not surprised.

The hype let them cash in big on an old franchise. The residual income however won't be anything near what WoW or CoD can produce with the current active player base.

Frippety

Reaction score
I don't really think this will last. I remember seeing something about xfire usage stats where the Diablo 3 players have sharply decreased since release. This is mainly because Blizzard have been pushing the RMAH and causing those of us who can't afford to use it to suffer. Plus, drop rates are generally terrible and the game feels more like an auction house simulator than a dungeon crawler.

Personally, I regret buying it in the first place.

Bloomatic

Member!
Reaction score
Frippety, I think there is some truth in your words. Recently I was reading information on the game situation in South Korea, and illustrates perfectly what you affirm: "The latest rankings suggest that despite the belated move by Blizzard, a growing number of Korean users are deserting Diablo III, whose content remains the same. The absence of new content in the past two months since the high-profile launch seems to have left a number of players doing repetitive item hunting or going through the same courses again and again."

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
Not surprised.

The hype let them cash in big on an old franchise. The residual income however won't be anything near what WoW or CoD can produce with the current active player base.
Exactly, it will still sell for awhile, But now it's more of a matter of how many of the players will be STAYING players.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I don't really think this will last. I remember seeing something about xfire usage stats where the Diablo 3 players have sharply decreased since release. This is mainly because Blizzard have been pushing the RMAH and causing those of us who can't afford to use it to suffer. Plus, drop rates are generally terrible and the game feels more like an auction house simulator than a dungeon crawler.

I think this is why many people will be leaving. I do not think the numbers will stay, especially with new games coming out. But if Blizzard does release some new patches with end game content I could be wrong.

micromachne

Member!
Reaction score
I think this is why many people will be leaving. I do not think the numbers will stay, especially with new games coming out. But if Blizzard does release some new patches with end game content I could be wrong.
If they're going to do that, they better hurry up. Because their window is surely closing. Especially with games like GW2 on the horizon.

WhiteNelumbo

Member!
Reaction score
The reason for this record is the huge hype that Blizzard was able to create for the game. People were too excited for the game and had much too high expectations for the game. I think D3 is pretty good, but it didn't meet expectations.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score

Eh, for $60 I definitely got my money's worth out of normal-hell alone.

It's unfortunate, but it's just so painfully obvious how untested Inferno was, which they just can't do with a launch that high profile.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
Eh, for $60 I definitely got my money's worth out of normal-hell alone.

It's unfortunate, but it's just so painfully obvious how untested Inferno was, which they just can't do with a launch that high profile.
I agree that you get your moneys worth. Plus with future patches to come the game can only get better and even people who stopped playing may come back later.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
Yup, I mean, Inferno is basically rock bottom for a modern dungeon crawler at the moment, so future patches can only make things better.

Personally I'm waiting for the big PVP/Legendaries patch, then I'll start dropping some time into my Wizard again.

Libralesso

Member!
Reaction score
I wonder what the PVP will look like, it will be an interesting patch. The next patch looks like it has some good fixes in it though.

Meow

Member!
Reaction score
I wonder what the PVP will look like, it will be an interesting patch. The next patch looks like it has some good fixes in it though.
From the sounds of things, it's a lot like WoW's arena system, with, hopefully, some scaling down on damage numbers. I mean, I could one shot myself 3 times over...