Diablo III Inventory System/Vendor System

L

Laharl

Better yet, why not allow simple rotation of items? It would save a lot of trouble, potentially, and allow people to fit more items into the same area, if used right.

Tiznit

Member!
Reaction score
i like the stat skills idea, kinda like how i wished energy affected damage of spells.
except maybe like Crushing Blow from str, FCR from energy actually sounds like a nice idea, IAS from Dex or something, and maybe DR from Vitality

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Okay..IAS? DR being Damage Reduction? It shouldnt only be passive skills but rather fun skills like the Repair thing (which is pretty boring. Basically things that ARENT only passive).

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Sorry forgot all about this thread till today.

In reply to the topic I brought up on Page 1 post #10 ...

Okay cool please be quick you are very clever..Pale horse..who are you? You used to be someone else i think..? Dark Matter?? Umm..this is kinda off topic
I was Sworn_Enemy

Another random thing.. GAMBLING and other vendor associated things. What do you think vendors should be able to do besides gambling and selling stuff? Stuff like the Pawn Shop. Cmon guys, bring some good ideas! :)
I think a vendor NPC could be able to tell you your stats. Stats as in How many times you died with said character, with account, How many kills you have, how many time you died, % of Magic Find and what you can find with that %, be able to look um all known runewords, and just for the hell of it Easter Eggs in the game ect.

Anyways, back to my old topic of having a NPC to hold gear would cut down on ALOT of characters made just to hold gear (mules)
I myself have 2 accounts just for mules, and switching out and looking for desired gear gets annoying, not to mention if there is no one online to keep the room open you risk loosing your gear. Also think of how many mules you have to name ect. Get rid of that whole thing and have a NPC hold all the gear. I cant count how many times I lost gear to realm downs, rooms closing, or just plain stupidity on my part.

All you would have to do when you are full of items on the character is go back to town and put said items in storage.

For quantity of NPC storage, this could be determined by your lvl, which goes up as you do so lvl just like how your gold you hold increases per lvl.

Since gold is rather pointless im multiplayer, the NPC could charge you a small fee everytime you check threw the inventory. Something like 1 gold piece per item. This sounds really cheap, but think about how much you might have in the inventory. It could be more the your merc at maxed cost to revive.

It could be cataloged to show all weapons, armor, ect or even further and show how many of each weapon you have.
Say you lvled and can now use that "glove of pimp smacking" no wondering if you have a friend to xfer with or wait 5 mins for a room to perm, just go to the NPC click on the gloves folder, grab your gear and equip. Now you can "pimp smack" all the minions your heart desires, as well as trade out the lvl 1 "Gloves of Noobness"

This could be a side quest (like Blood Raven to get the rouge merc) where you need to stop a bandit that stole this shop keepers goods. In return He can hold your items for you. For Nightmare and Hell (or the equalent to it) you could increase the size of items you can hand over for storeage.

As another feature, this could also be used as a trade area. Your character and someone else go up to the NPC and they can brouse threw all of your items. This would cut down on the "Make me a offer" and "Wug" all the time.
this would be a legit way to trade since it is a nutral third party.
Maybe you could even ask the NPC Vendor for advice on the trade if it is worth it or not.

Have a whole system based on items and its worth compaired to another item. Much like how U.S. currency is worth so much in other counties. Then it is up to the players to make the final decission on the trade. No scams, no hacks, no wondering if you made a good trade. The perfect Noob teacher on trading. This NPC could repair, upgrade, (Possibly another side quest.) make runewords, (for those that have no clue how to make them and end up making a item with runes in the wrong order.

You could even have a seperate side quest that allows your Merc to hold some items. The drawback of this (cause everything has to have a negative somewhere) is that if your merc dies, you loose your gear on him as well.

As far as the topic goes on weight, That would be interesting IMO, since certain characters can use a 2 handed Maul and others have to jack there strength up, it would be possible to incorperate that into the game.

Another idea I had was a seperate pouch type of bag that would hold all gems, skulls, runes, ect. This would clear up some room to hold some bigger items like armor.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Okay good ideas but I'd just like to go through some of this:

1. About vendors holding your gear - how would this work online?

2. Interesting idea about charging for items, but it could become damn annoying not having enough money to look through your gear. Instead I think it should be a once off fee of say 50,000 gold. *Reading on* I prefer your idea of it being something you gain through a quest.

3. How would the NPC know if it was a fair deal if there were several items involved? And also, trading is not only about items being worth other items, it's about bargaining and stuff. Having the NPC telling people if it's a fair deal could really annoy non-noob players trying to get gear off of more nooby players. Maybe each item should have a certain "value point" where next to the name of the item it has a number from 1-100 (1 being crap 100 being fabulous) so people can tell how good an item is without feeling unsure of the value of an item.

Anyway great ideas, I like the pouch idea too! :)

Pale_Horse

Member!
Reaction score
Okay good ideas but I'd just like to go through some of this:

1. About vendors holding your gear - how would this work online?
Same system that is inplace that says your certain character has X gear on with X stats, lvl, ect.
Since (I may be wrong on this, correct me if I am) a program or whatever is put in place to keep certain gear on its specific character, I don't see it too much of a stretch that another system could keep a catalog of all items you have stored.

2. Interesting idea about charging for items, but it could become damn annoying not having enough money to look through your gear. Instead I think it should be a once off fee of say 50,000 gold. *Reading on* I prefer your idea of it being something you gain through a quest.
Well, that could be a drawback. It gets annoying when I can't afford to revive my merc, but I make do. Sell useless crap I find, countess runs, ect. At least gold would have a purpose again IMO. Maybe trades can be free, but looking threw your gear solo would cost X gold. Maybe even there is a fee for taking items out to use or trade, intead of keeping them stored on the NPC.
Basically, I'm trying to make a use out of something that is rarely used to its full potential. Gold is practically useless on Bnet. Hell you can use runes to fix a item, (most cases cheaper then repairing in town) so gold isn't a standard there either.

3. How would the NPC know if it was a fair deal if there were several items involved? And also, trading is not only about items being worth other items, it's about bargaining and stuff. Having the NPC telling people if it's a fair deal could really annoy non-noob players trying to get gear off of more nooby players. Maybe each item should have a certain "value point" where next to the name of the item it has a number from 1-100 (1 being crap 100 being fabulous) so people can tell how good an item is without feeling unsure of the value of an item.
Hard to put my thoughts into text and truely give a idea to you what I mean, but I will try...
Everyone who has played D2 on bnet knows certain things are worth X, this is by the supply and demand of the item. We just use things like Runes, SoJ, ect. as a means to rate the worth of another item.
If you look at the real world, currency changes in worth every second. That's what the stock market is all about. Sooooo .... say you found this "Pimphand gloves of smacking" and there are only 1 other on bnet found, this would make this a very valuable item. On the other hand, if there are 1 billion of these items the price would go down. The NPC would rate the item threwout the realm and set a standard price. Just like how most ppl know that a Perfect Hoz Eth goes for X HR's.
Now the NPC would say this item is worth this much .... these items from the other person from the trade, has these items that are equal to said item. You can simply take the advice of a trade, or like some ppl, if you need that item bad enough you will pay anything for it. IMO this would keep things in check for those that are not sure of what they have, vs what they want in a trade.

When the NPC says whatever, you can choose to turn that off or on as your prefference, much the same way you can with the music, minimap ect.

On to the multitrades. Item A is worth 1 item B is worth 1, your item C is worth 2. 1+1=2 or A&B traded for C item

It is meant as a guide for trading, not a finite solution or cure to trades. If you feel like it there could be No NPC saying what to do, it is your choice.
Another way to look at it is the angel or devel on your shoulder giving you a nudge in a certain direction.

Anyway great ideas, I like the pouch idea too! :)
Thank you, but like I said previously I forgot all about this thread (sorry) and I didn't make my revised idea into a finite thing yet, but I will.

Love em or hate em, they are just my ideas on what COULD BE. Not like Bliz is stealing this for there work on D3 lol.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Hah maybe they are! Anyway you posted some very valid responses to my questions. I understand what you mean about the supply and demand of items :).

Shadow_Drifter

Member!
Reaction score
I somewhat agree that gold is basically a useless gimic on BNet.

The most simple fix of all would be to make gold harder to actually get. Of course im not talking "so rare, people make money selling virtual cash" but instead of say oh 200 gold dropping, make it 100 or less even. Make potions more pricey and other special services that you can only get with gold

An example of a special service would be a NPC that puts a buff on a character where the power and timelimit of the spell are directly proportionate to cash you invest (Say a lvl 20 thorns type aura that lasts 2 hours would cost alot more then a lvl 1 one that lasts 15 minutes)

Weapon enchants could fall into the catagory or heck heres an idea... a summoner NPC that allows you to have a pet instead of a merc...

L

Laharl

Very good ideas there, Drifter. The game would need gold to be far more useful than it is in Diablo II.

I'm only not so sure about the pet idea.

McGorilla

Member!
Reaction score
Drifter, I'm not too sure that your idea about making gold less common and items more expensive would work. Having no gold is annoying and frustrating and I think that just because gold is worthless online doesn't mean they should make it less worthless. Not being able to buy pots or mercs is enraging.

On the contrary I do like your idea of vendors being able to give characters skills and buffs. Interesting me thinks = )

x42bn6

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Regarding the bags idea, I think weight should not be a factor. Mostly because, wouldn't that be biased towards strength characters such as barbarians?

I quite like carrying lots of stuff around. Encumberance is something I don't want to worry about. Nor do I want to worry about my movement speed being hindered because of it.*