• Offense

Votes: 10 58.8%

• Total voters

Master.America

Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.soundclick.com
Pertaining to strategy, which do you focus on: defense or offense? You might want to specify which races you use each focus with and whether it's versus comps or players, too.

I try to focus on offense, building as little defense as possible. I believe a good offense is a good defense, no matter what race. I only play against comps, though... I don't trust live opponents in Starcraft.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
im a very defencive player

betaalpha5

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
i tend to try to go defensive early on so quite a bit of cannons like in my reply i had.
then around the middle i go offensive finding little holes in their base to mess em up.

it's not a good to stay defensive since while you are trying to protect yourself your opponent has just expanded all over the place. remember the golden rule of war
a good defence is a good offence

Lizardbreath

Former Staff member
Reaction score
I tend to go defense first when I am playing human. Once my base is secured I go too offense. But if I play zerg and protoss it is all about offense since I think zerg has bad base defense and protoss has a good tier 1 melee unit.

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
Omg I hit the wrong one. Offense. I'm a pure zerg tech builder. I tech straight to guardians, max production, pump out mutas, and there you go. No defense involved. Someone who wants to choose defense, please pick offense instead, to correct my error :(

Darkmatter

Battle God
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforums.com
Depends on my opponet. If I kno who it is, I will adjust to best counter the way he or she plays. But, as far as random goes, I'm offence. I like to mass Hydralisks very fast and overun my opponet. Unless it;s Tronga, in that case I just go defensive and try to tech to mass mutas /w devourer or mess around, since he always beats me anyways.

Wing Zero

lol just as planned
Reaction score
yea i know but defence is all i got i dunnow how to pump out forces liek u uber gods

Renzokuken

Saved
Reaction score
Protoss can only defend with their offensive units, so i voted offensive. I only get cannons for some basic expo-defense and detection.

Snagg

Premium Member
Reaction score
Protoss, I usually get 8 or so zealots. Rush the first wave, if it's 1 on 1, I'd tech to cybernetics, if it's 3on3 or 2on2, I build 2 or 3 cannons to protect the counter.

Zerg, 1 or 2 sunkens and then if they attack, just block with drones. Depending on player, I'd go 6 ling rush, then go hydra and lurk... or mutaling if the ling rush is successful.

Terran.. hmm I don't use this much, but if it's against protoss, I'd go metal, so block the entrance and put a bunker and turret, then pump vultures and easily rape the zealots with good micro. If i'ts against zerg, I'd go m and m, so not much D except a bunker and turret near my cc.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well, I'm not sure if that's exactly a good question to ask. It's really tough to classify a player as defensive or offensive if they're in fact playing the game correctly. In a PVP, for example you're obviously going to only build cannons in a couple of situations (like to defend against reaver drops in your mineral field), and if you add anymore you're not playing defensively you're just playing badly.

However, if I must classified as offensive or defensive, I suppose it would be defensive. I'd rather not attack a person, but just expand whenever I have an advantage. If I'm playing lazy, though, I'll just attack and screw the expansions.

zerg_slayer(IC)

Member!
Reaction score
DEFENCE super fase zerf defence is best takes hours to kill me nothing ut deefence lol every 1 else loose base and comes to me
:( but i seem never 2 have anough $$$ for ofence at that point lol

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Although I am VERY defensive, I chose offense because as everyone knows, the best d is good o. Basic military tactics 101. Whatever race I am, I spawn tier one fighters like a mofo, to about 24 Zeals, 50 Lings, or 30 Marines. Early game, that puts down most attacks. Then, I go for artillery. Tanks, Goons, or Hydras. I mix forces, throw in some base air support, and the next depends on the number of players and alliance system. If I run the risk of being attacked, I keep half my units back for defense, but if I'm relatively safe, I swarm the opponent with all I have and crush them like beetles. In an air-based war, like on islands, I much prefer to just transport ground units, with meager air support, because it's way more cost-efficient. If it's a slow game against a total noob, with much resources, I'll immediately head for massing highest air unit. i.e: Carriers, BCs, or Guards.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
J'kar said:
Although I am VERY defensive, I chose offense because as everyone knows, the best d is good o. Basic military tactics 101. Whatever race I am, I spawn tier one fighters like a mofo, to about 24 Zeals, 50 Lings, or 30 Marines. Early game, that puts down most attacks. Then, I go for artillery. Tanks, Goons, or Hydras. I mix forces, throw in some base air support, and the next depends on the number of players and alliance system. If I run the risk of being attacked, I keep half my units back for defense, but if I'm relatively safe, I swarm the opponent with all I have and crush them like beetles. In an air-based war, like on islands, I much prefer to just transport ground units, with meager air support, because it's way more cost-efficient. If it's a slow game against a total noob, with much resources, I'll immediately head for massing highest air unit. i.e: Carriers, BCs, or Guards.
Your play style is much too linear. You almost never need that many zeals hydra or lings before teching up, and if you get that many then something like reavers will mess you up (referring to PVP).

Amantis

Can you love such me?
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
It depends. If someone wants a good long game, I'd go for full defense system. But when you want to finish off faster, massing up the offensive before they reach you is good.

- Amantis

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
ArtOfProtoss said:
Your play style is much too linear. You almost never need that many zeals hydra or lings before teching up, and if you get that many then something like reavers will mess you up (referring to PVP).
Reavers are jack shit to me. Tanks are the equivalent and own the hell out of reavers. Reavers may kill a bunch of lings, but the rest will swarm and overwhelm. The only effective way to kill all the units I will have is to nuke them, and I am always on alert for that red dot. Besides, I don't use zerg much anymore...against toss I usually use Terran, cuz terrans have more stuff to f- up toss.

ArtOfProtoss

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
J'kar said:
Reavers are jack shit to me. Tanks are the equivalent and own the hell out of reavers. Reavers may kill a bunch of lings, but the rest will swarm and overwhelm. The only effective way to kill all the units I will have is to nuke them, and I am always on alert for that red dot. Besides, I don't use zerg much anymore...against toss I usually use Terran, cuz terrans have more stuff to f- up toss.
In PVP reavers are godly. Also in PVT. Not so much in PVZ because of scourge. You must not be using them correctly. Like, for instance, you should never mass them. They're used solely for shuttle harrass and shuttle drops with your men.

WW2R

BattleForums Newbie
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
it depends if i'm alone or on a team and who my oponent is. if i am on a team i will often go for a solid defense before focusing on an attack but if i can have an effective rush then i will focus on attacking

Ntrik_

Premium Member
Reaction score
best offense is the best defense, and I learned that hardway today.s

ReiGn

Premium Member
Reaction score
Offense. i always try to constatly harras expos and drop shit behind my opponents base.