Cube RPG

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
I don't know how many people have ever seen the Cube movies, but they have a cool concept that would be great for an RPG. The concept is this: your character awakens in a cube-shaped room, like this scene from the first movie.

The cube room has six exits, one on each wall. Ladder rungs allow for access to any of the exits. Each exit leads to another room. The character finds out that each room is but a shifting piece of a massive cube, with hundreds of rooms. The goal is to find the exit, but there is a catch: some of the rooms are booby-trapped with death-traps. The only way to tell, seemingly, is to go into the room and see if it kills you. However, there are patterns that may help you tell if a room is trapped or not. The people in the cube work together to stay alive and keep going to find the exit. Sounds cool enough as is, right?

I'll add something else in for fun. I'll make it to where you can pick any humanoid character from a videogame as your character. Superhuman abilities are welcome, but not to god-like extent. For example, I will choose Vergil from Devil May Cry 3. He's half-human, half-demon, and it manifests by giving him extraordinary durability and fantastic speed. When he builds up enough power by surviving challenges, he can go "Devil Trigger" and transform for a short time into a demon, at which point he is faster, stronger, and able to jump higher. He has extreme proficiency with his Yamato Katana. That pretty much tells about him. The picture in my sig is of Vergil, so you can see his appearance.

First, tell me who you want to be and give a brief description like I did of Vergil. If you can, post a picture. I'll have you guys come in at pretty much any time.

Tacitus

The Oldest
Reaction score
Website
www.animeleague.net
((Hmm...an interesting concept indeed. I will have to decide upon a worthy character to use in such a situation that does not go over the top. When I decide I shall edit this post.))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Meh, I'll do the same, since our other threads are a bit slow. Get the others to post, will ya? Anywho, I'll play as Yusuke Urameshi [did I spell that right?]. Watchers of Yu Yu Hakusho will know what I'm talking about. I'll post when I have more time.))

-Azrael666-

BattleForums Senior Member
Reaction score
((The original Cube is my third favorite movie. I'm so definitely in. By the way, why did you mention the fact the cubes shift? That was something the characters in the movie had to figure out on their own. Oh well. I need time to think of a character I suppose.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Cool, guys. Yeah, take your time and figure out a good character. Az, I'd say Dante for you, but...the bros don't get along together too well.

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Hey, I'm changing it up. I'm going to play as Reiko, from the X-Box game Otogi. First off, the guy is dead. Well, sort of a corporeal spirit, anyway. He has access to a large variety of weapons that he apparently saves inside a spirit dimension. He can jump really high, and can regenerate, but has to kill demons to replenish the magic supply that keeps him alive. So, when do we start?))

Tacitus

The Oldest
Reaction score
Website
www.animeleague.net
((I shall hereby enter with Ignus from Planescape: Torment. An insane magi that saw the whole world as sparks waiting to be ignited. He acted upon it, releasing the spark for all to experience, burning down half a city. The other magi in the city gathered to give Ignus his ultimate wish, to be one with the flames. They turned him into a conduit of the Elemental Plane of Fire. To their horror this didn't kill him, but did ignite his passion of flames. In his bliss he fell into a coma like state, awakened many years later by The Nameless One by means of The Decanter of Endless Water. Ignus is completely insane, permanently wreathed in flames, and thus unable to grasp much without melting it, touch anyone, or wear armor. He can summon fireballs without any exertion, cast powerful fire spells, and float through the air off the heat his flames give off.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
[Glow=Blue]
((Cool. Looks totally awesome. Ignus is a bit more...inhuman than I had originally intended, but I think he'll do just fine. I mean why the hell not, right? As for when we'll start, I'll open it up as soon as Az defines his character.))
[/Glow]

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
Naraku, from The Secret of the Cursed Mask, is half human and half demon. He has regenerative powers, and the skills he possesses are ones he doesn't tell others about.

His appearance is that of a human.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
Vergil awakens sprawled upon a hard metal floor. He blinks away the weariness of sleep and rises up to look around. His eyes narrow as he peers at his surroundings.

The room he is in is cube-shaped, each surface roughly 14 feet square. The in the center of each surface is a square hatch with a bar on it that aparently, when turned, unlocks the hatch. There are ladder rungs upon the walls and ceiling so that one might gain access to the roof hatch.
The panels on the wall-surfaces glow with a bright white color.

Vergil gets to his feet checking to make sure of his possessions, particularly his mother's amulet and his katana. Both are fine. He walked to the wall to the nearest hatch and climbed up to it. He opened it and peered through a small, narrow passageway that terminated in another hatch. He opened it to find another cubical room, this time blue. He went back and checked the other hatches in the original room, to find the same results. One room was red, two were green, one was orange, and another was the same blue as the first. He puzzled over what to do.

--------

The others also each awoke, alone, to find themselves in the same situation, each of the surrounding rooms a different color. They all wondered what to do next, and began to explore...

((Okay, RP your explorations, but stop when you come to a new room...some may be trapped, and some may be safe. You don't know, only I do. :D))

Tacitus

The Oldest
Reaction score
Website
www.animeleague.net
((Yeah...if you could not use the glowing blue, that'd be great.))

((Also, how much here can be melted or burned? Kinda important. If that could be mentioned from now on I'd be much obliged. Can't RP examining the hatches, much less passing through them, if I don't know if they'll melt or not. Be kinda funny, melt the handle and get stuck forever ^_^))

Ignus slowly awakened, flames rolling across the floor, even without the presene of anything to burn. His skin bubbled and writhed as the portions that hadn't been burned to a crisp continued to deteriorate. As his eyes opened flames leapt up and sent embers into the air. He rose up, arms outstretched backwards, revolving slowly as he returned to a near standiong position. He was hunched over ever so slightly and his feet floated off the ground, unable to touch it as they were naught but bone.

He gazed around slowly, noting the hatches, but not wanting to touch them, for that had no inner spark to bring forth. He began mumbling to himself about flames, chanting an omen about releasing the sparks across the multiverse.

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Oh, yeah, good point. I really think you should be safe about melting stuff. The Cube is built extremely sturdily. I mean, the handles can be torn off if one feels the need, but I doubt they can be melted. I'd have to ask Az, he knows more about the actual Cube. And yeah, I can refrain from using the blue text in here.))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
Reiko awoke, finding himself inside a small, cubical room. The walls were pure white, and a hatch on each side of the room. Ignoring the ladder, he lept to the ceiling hatch, levitating briefly before heaving himself through. The room beyond was nearly identical to the first, excluding any extra hatches. As he pulled himself out of the floor, the hatch sealed shut, leaving him no exit. What has the Princess gotten me into this time? Must she always awaken me from death without consulting me? He thought briefly of his family weapon, the Soul Shrine katana, and it appeared in his hand.

((Never seen the movie. So I'm pretty much running blind. You guys are gonna have to explain things a bit more to me.))

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
((I'd just like to point out the fact that no two adjacent rooms are the same color. The colors they can be are white, red, blue, green, and orange. The hatch bars can't be ripped off. Taking into account the fact that we have weapons and abilities, consider the hatch bars indestructible. Also, nothing can be melted, but if you have a sharp object, you'd be able to scratch something into a metal surface, like on one of the hatches, or on one of the places where there's metal on the walls, floor, or ceiling.

Below is a picture of one of the rooms, a white one. They're all the same, except the color. You can see the hatches in the center of both walls shown and the ceiling. There's also one of the other two walls and the floor.

Click here if image does not work.

Below is a close-up view of one of the hatches, so you get an idea of what the bar looks like and how the hatch works. It opens by turning the bar.

Click here if image does not work.

And there you are. That should give you a much better visual. I'm going to wait to do my actions, because I don't want my entry to be stretched, which I figure is what the pictures will do to this post.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Yeah, one other thing, too. The hatches don't seal completely. You can go through them again, backtracking. However, the room you go back to may not always be the same one you left, because of the shifting. Oh, and Az? The pics aren't working.))

Vergil stood in the center of the white room he originated in, collecting his thoughts and going over his possiblities. He was sure that this was not the demon realm that he thought he had been in. The last he remembered, he was charging across Hell to do battle with the Prince of Darkness, and he found himself here. Perhaps this was the Devil's way of testing him. It was unknown to Vergil at this time, so he discarded his thoughts and moved to the orange room that he had scouted earlier.

The colored panels in the orange room had an intriguing pattern of horizontal lines across the walls. He glared at them suspiciously, as they were a new addition, and not from the old room. As he set foot down in the orange room, the lines shot forward across the room towards his legs, a razor thin wire that would surely cut right through him. He leaped up and grabbed hold of the ladder rungs on the ceiling, and pulled himself flat against the ceiling. Ascending waves of razor wire shot across the room, the topmost one slashing through the trailing edge of his trench coat before they all returned to their original places within the walls.

Vergil let out his breath with a whoosh and manuevered his way over to the ceiling hatch. He undid it and went on through...

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
((The way you came from can only be a different room if the rooms shifted, and the rooms shifting is extremely noticable. Everything shakes, like an earthquake. Traps designed to be triggered by sound and vibration are set to ignore this process of room shuffling.))

Naraku awoke and stood up. He noted the identical hatches on each surface of this green room. Approaching one and opening it, there was a blue room on the other side, identical to this one in every aspect but the color. He surmised the rest of the hatches lead to similar rooms, and casually entered the blue room.

((Also, I forgot to mention, your thing about noticing where the wires were going to come out before they did isn't accurate. All traps are completely hidden and undetectable until they're actually triggered.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Well, Vergil is part demon. Don't even try to tell me that you don't think Vergil could tell that something was happening. He's fast enough to detect stuff like that. Oh, and little clues are there. Remember the spike room in the movie? All the little spots on the walls where the spikes came out? Those aren't in every room, at least not so prevalently. There are very subtle clues...if there weren't, this RPG would be moot, because every time a trap was sprung, one of our people would die. That wouldn't be very fun, would it? For playability's sake, some traps need to be avoidable...))

Vergil popped up through the hatch in the floor of the next room. He looked around carefully. Not seeing anything out of the ordinary, he slowly climbed into the room. Standing up, he surveyed the new room. This new one was red, creating an intimidating look, but reminding Vergil of the red color theme his brother Dante usually used. Shaking his head, Vergil walked over to the hatch directly in front of him and went through it, finding a green room. He looked around and stepped in.

((Az, fairly soon...not immediately, but fairly soon, I plan to have a couple of us meet up. Won't be too long until the characters should be able to put their heads together to try to figure out the precise workings of their predicament, and how to get out.))

-Azrael666-

Reaction score
((Dude, you said "stop when you come to a new room...some may be trapped, and some may be safe. You don't know, only I do. :D" Well, I went into the new room and didn't do anything.))

Vadriel

Bite my shiny metal ass!
Reaction score
((Oh...crap. Yeah, I sorry. For some reason I expected you to do it yourself. Yeah, I don't plan on your first room or two being trapped. Go on ahead. I give everybody two more rooms before a trapped one comes.))

DragonOfChaos

Member!
Reaction score
((Okay, my room is now blue, for the sake of authenticity. Thanks for the info.))

Reiko chose another door, wanting to keep moving. Standing around does nothing for me. It only wastes my power. I must keep moving. He opened the hatch on one of the walls, floating to the floor of a red room.