Counter-Strike LAN Lag

Silent-Evil

Member!
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Oh so here is the problem my friend and I are both on teh same network. We have cable internet 3.5 MB Down 768 Up and we have setup a router so we both share out internet connection. The problem is when we both load up steam and try to play counter strike at the same time we lag out. But if one person just runs steam and plays cs then they dont lag at all. It also lags if he is in a game and i try to refresh game servers. But it doent lag if i just run steam and do nothing else. Anyone have an idea of why this might happen? I dunno if there is a command that i could use in the launch options of counter strike of if its a router problem. If it is a router problem can someone tell me how to configure the router so that we dont lag.

Ahh also it doesnt lag at all if we make a lan game and play. It just lags when we both try to play and internet game at the same time or when we both try to access the internet via steam or cs. Any help? Please

Thanks

FotL_WanD4

Member!
Reaction score
im kind of puzzled by that because we host lan parties, and occassionally 4 or 5 of us will get online. the only time when we lag on WAN is when someone is browsing games in steam. its usually best to browse through the in-game browser seeing how it will stop updating games when you join. that could very possibly your problem.
otherwise, you can always try sticking someone on the dmz.
connect to your router (ie. linksys is 192.168.1.1 ; pw admin [default] ) and find the DMZ tab and put your computer's LAN address into it.
if you dont know what yours is open command prompt ("cmd" in the run box) type in ipconfig and it will display your ip, subnet, and gateway.

hope something works.

D!4m0nD!

Reaction score
Sounds to me like your bandwidth can only handle 1 of u guys playin at 1ce... get broadb and...if u have alreddy then its either a poor provider like mine :hbut or it isnt a dcent enuf version of wat they can provide... if this was any help (i guess it isnt) but if it was then :rainfro

TheoStormhawk

BattleForums Addict
Reaction score
Silent-Evil said:
Oh so here is the problem my friend and I are both on teh same network. We have cable internet 3.5 MB Down 768 Up and we have setup a router so we both share out internet connection. The problem is when we both load up steam and try to play counter strike at the same time we lag out. But if one person just runs steam and plays cs then they dont lag at all. It also lags if he is in a game and i try to refresh game servers. But it doent lag if i just run steam and do nothing else. Anyone have an idea of why this might happen? I dunno if there is a command that i could use in the launch options of counter strike of if its a router problem. If it is a router problem can someone tell me how to configure the router so that we dont lag.

Ahh also it doesnt lag at all if we make a lan game and play. It just lags when we both try to play and internet game at the same time or when we both try to access the internet via steam or cs. Any help? Please

Thanks
Check the DNS settings.

FotL_WanD4

Member!
Reaction score
TheoStormhawk said:
Check the DNS settings.
dns is domain name service or something, it translates a given name bound to an ip add. its not like hes trying to directly connect to the other computer over lan by typing in ie. \\computer-name.

COTA-GoD

Member!
Reaction score
FotL_WanD4 said:
dns is domain name service or something, it translates a given name bound to an ip add. its not like hes trying to directly connect to the other computer over lan by typing in ie. \\computer-name.

even if he did...it wouldnt make a difference, the DNS takes like a second to get everything done and start connecting X|